Blower Trailers

Hello all looking for tips on Blower trailers/rigid as starting on them this week coming. Any tips and advice welcome. Cheers

Half of our fleet are blowers, I have worked here almost 10 years and just plead ignorance, I have no idea how they work, I stick to liquids, I recently took a dry bulk load into deepest Quebec and had to wait for another driver to come and unload it for me :laughing:

Pat Hasler:
Half of our fleet are blowers, I have worked here almost 10 years and just plead ignorance, I have no idea how they work, I stick to liquids, I recently took a dry bulk load into deepest Quebec and had to wait for another driver to come and unload it for me :laughing:

mmmmmm you’re like an agency driver :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It’s quite simple once you’ve got your head round it. I took a fella out for 3 / 4 runs in a day and he was happy enough to go out on his own after that.

but I’d imagine most get a fair bit more than that.

basically,

Connect the pipe up, set the blower blowing, you’ve now got air flowing at a fast pace through the pipe and into the bin at low pressure.

you then start the rotating seal, basically a metering drum which drops the product into the air stream, the pressure will increase on the gauge and the speed through the pipe will slow.

alter the speed of the metering drum to achieve the pressure they want you to blow at. Normally 9 - 12 psi. 9 is safe and steady, 12 is fast but risking bunging.

too much pressure and not enough speed and you’ll bung the pipe up. you’ll hear the blow off valve starting to blow off and if you’re quick enough and with a bit of luck slow the metering drum to decrease the pressure before it bungs!

keep an eye on the pressure gauge as as the bin fills it effects how the air can escape out of the bin, so the pressure can increase by its self!

If the product starts to come out of the exhaust pipe then the bin is full!! Most will block up when full, some won’t, don’t take your eye off it for too long! Lots of dust coming out is a telltale sign the bin is getting full. Blowing really slow, like as slow as it’ll go is the way to get the most in a bin if you’re struggling for space towards the end

Every bin blows different, height, bends in the inlet pipe etc

For meal you’ll want the auger on very slow whilst blowing, pellets just at the end to empty the corners out.

Open the compartment door for the next delivery once you’ve finished a delivery, spreading the load for axle weights, traction, center of gravity. But always run with them locked once empty

If you’ve got compartment doors with doors built in them ( for you to go through) I always try to load the front compartment 1st and work backwards as it puts pressure on the inner door to keep it shut, where as the other way it forces it open slightly, stuff drops into the gap which then puts pressure on the locks making it harder to unlock, it’ll make sense when you see it!

Always double check you’ve locked the compartments off before loading!

Check how empty the bin is before you start blowing by throwing a stone at it, you’ll soon learn if the amount you’ve got on will fit or not or if you’ll have to keep a close eye on it towards the end as it’ll be tight

stevieboy308:
It’s quite simple once you’ve got your head round it. I took a fella out for 3 / 4 runs in a day and he was happy enough to go out on his own after that.

basically,

Connect the pipe up, set the blower blowing, you’ve now got air flowing at a fast pace through the pipe and into the bin at low pressure.

you then start the rotating seal, basically a metering drum which drops the product into the air stream, the pressure will increase on the gauge and the speed through the pipe will slow.

alter the speed of the metering drum to achieve the pressure they want you to blow at. Normally 9 - 12 psi. 9 is safe and steady, 12 is fast but risking bunging.

too much pressure and not enough speed and you’ll bung the pipe up. you’ll hear the blow off valve starting to blow off and if you’re quick enough and with a bit of luck slow the metering drum to decrease the pressure before it bungs!

keep an eye on the pressure gauge as as the bin fills it effects how the air can escape out of the bin, so the pressure can increase by its self!

If the product starts to come out of the exhaust pipe then the bin is full!! Most will block up when full, some won’t, don’t take your eye off it for too long! Lots of dust coming out is a telltale sign the bin is getting full. Blowing really slow, like as slow as it’ll go is the way to get the most in a bin if you’re struggling for space towards the end

For meal you’ll want the auger on very slow whilst blowing, pellets just at the end to empty the corners out.

Open the compartment door for the next delivery once you’ve finished a delivery, spreading the load for axle weights, traction, center of gravity. But always run with them locked once empty

If you’ve got compartment doors with doors built in them ( for you to go through) I always try to load the front compartment 1st and work backwards as it puts pressure on the inner door to keep it shut, where as the other way it forces it open slightly, stuff drops into the gap which then puts pressure on the locks making it harder to unlock, it’ll make sense when you see it!

Check how empty the bin is before you start blowing by throwing a stone at it, you’ll soon learn if the amount you’ve got on will fit or not or if you’ll have to keep a close eye on it towards the end as it’ll be tight

I’m not a tipper/blower driver but fair play, a good detailed post.

Spot on post

Also have a nice sloping bend in the pipe to the bin. Any sharp bends will effect the blow :wink:

Also listen to tune. Any change will give you a chance to catch it before it blocks. You learn in time same goes for bin sizes etc

Been dojng it a year now. Enjoying been out in the countryside.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

stevieboy308:

basically,

Brilliant thanks for taking the time to respond, cheers

No worries fella! Cheers boys!

Leo is spot on with the pipe bend and listening to it all the time too.

I’ve not done it for a bit, so bits keep coming back! If the wagon has a fuel usage meter, keep an eye on it, you can use it as a rough pressure gauge, set it blowing at 9 psi and that might mean you’re using 9L per hour in fuel, as the pressure rises so will the fuel usage, so when it gets to 10 or 11L per hour you know to go and slow the feed rate down to bring the pressure back down and a clue the bin’s getting full

tango boy:

Pat Hasler:

mmmmmm you’re like an agency driver :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yeah right LOL Far from it, I am an ex Tesco driver who see’s no point in learning something that will actually increase my workload but pay o more, a dry bulk load can take up to 3 hours to low off, my liquid loads take 30 minutes ad get me the same pay :wink:

Pat Hasler:

tango boy:

Pat Hasler:

Yeah right LOL Far from it, I am an ex Tesco driver who see’s no point in learning something that will actually increase my workload but pay o more, a dry bulk load can take up to 3 hours to low off, my liquid loads take 30 minutes ad get me the same pay :wink:

I’m the opposite, I want to know and do as much as possible! Fair enough if you’re not getting paid tipping time and it takes longer though

First week on blowers a wee bit different to the tippers but really enjoying it. The tips were spot on and can see it is important to listen to the tune as one guy says. Nice also to work for a company that supplies you with all the kit uniform and safety kit makes a change. Cheers

Sounds good fella,

On your last drop of you have the option, have it parked pointing slightly downhill, it’ll mean you’ll definitely be able to lock the partition doors, were as pointed uphill you’ll have to move to lock them