Bloody skip lorries!

Had a really good week, out and about in the sunshine, in Bob (kids name for the MAN I’ve been semi-allocated). All was going well until yesterday…

Left the yard at 630 yesterday morning, and plodded my way out to the A12. This means going out through a reasonably narrow road, and into Kelvedon village. As you go through Inworth, there are a couple of narrow bends. I was going through one of these, when I saw a skip wagon coming towards me at a vast rate of knots. I slowed right own, and pulled in as tight as I could, but he kept on belting through, and clobbered my mirror - luckily it didn’t break the glass, just slammed it in to the side of the cab and smashed the plastic cover on the back of it. A good start.

Then later on that morning, I’d done my first collection down in Surrey, and was making my way back towards the M25. As I rounded a bend (a wide one this time, on a decent single carriageway), bugger me, another skip waaon came screqming round the bend. All I could see was the length of Dexion / angle iron sticking out the side of the skip and hanging over my side of the road, at my eye level.

I braked hard and turned away, as I was convinced it was going to come through the screen at me, but luckily (!) it just smashed off the A-pillar, and then slammed into the mirror again, once again fortunately without breaking it.

When I pulled over, there is a large scrape on the A-pillar, and a gouge on the metal bracket which holds the mirror on.

In both cases, both skip wagons carried on belting along at stupid speeds, so I didn’t get chance to get any registrations. Just totally ■■■■■■ off with both of them, hurting poor Bob!

Apart from that, it’s been a brilliant week - much better than sitting in an office watching the world go by!

Gary

What complete nobbers. I hope they get caught.

just a thought,

you have the time and the road , these guys have specific routes contact the company and ask who would be around that route at that time of day also should be some paint on the bin lorry to back u up :bulb:

Might be worth going to the police first as the company might try and fob you off to protect their drivers

Skip lorry smashed my mirror by, just one of those things. Tell your govnor and your done, up to him if he wants to follow it up.

Oh, I accept it’s just one of those things. Told the boss, he wasn’t overly worried, said he’d got a spare mirror cover and these things happen - it’s more me who’s narked off by it - my first (semi!) lorry, and it’s got knocked within a week of me starting in it.

Just lucky I suppose that the second one hit me where it did, and not somebody else more vulnerable - a length of Dexion hitting you at 60 mph or so is going to do some considerable damage at the wrong angle.

Gary

scaniason:
Oh, I accept it’s just one of those things. Told the boss, he wasn’t overly worried, said he’d got a spare mirror cover and these things happen - it’s more me who’s narked off by it - my first (semi!) lorry, and it’s got knocked within a week of me starting in it.

Just lucky I suppose that the second one hit me where it did, and not somebody else more vulnerable - a length of Dexion hitting you at 60 mph or so is going to do some considerable damage at the wrong angle.

Gary

Well atleast your bothered, but dont let it worry you, ■■■■ happens and it wasnt you that done it, so this one doesnt count lol.