Bloody POA

So in my short time driving I have always been told to just stay away and not to use POA. In my new job Class 1 my trainer came out with me to show me more things, getting better mpg, softer braking and all round smoother driving.

One of the things he noticed was that I don’t use POA. So after a talk I was given the advice to use it but don’t use it for more than 14mins at a time as after that it counts to clear your tacho but not driving time so could end up messing you up as you would think you have time when you really need a break. So this week I have been using this but yesterday I was nearly caught out as I was out the cab talking to another driver I had forgot it was on POA and it reset my clock.

I was informed if I use it and keep a note of my times that it can reduce my average hours over the 23 weeks that we work from and means there won’t be a chance of getting sent home with no pay if that happens.

I am confused as when I spoke to other drivers I have been told that’s ■■■■■■■■ and each give a different view on this.

So if there is a layman’s explanation I would gladly listen to it
Cheers Paul

if you don’t do a continuous hour then POA don’t count any way :wink:

NPABU:
I was informed if I use it and keep a note of my times that it can reduce my average hours over the 23 weeks that we work from and means there won’t be a chance of getting sent home with no pay if that happens.
I am confused as when I spoke to other drivers I have been told that’s ■■■■■■■■ and each give a different view on this.
So if there is a layman’s explanation I would gladly listen to it

POA does not count towards working time so can be used to keep the weekly average of working time down, whether or not you get paid when sent home is dependant on how you get paid and what agreements your company have in place.

Legally in order to use POA you need to know how long you’ll be waiting.

If you get paid for breaks why no use break, neither POA or break count towards working time but break won’t wrongly reset your driving time which can sometimes lead to confusion.

blue estate:

I’ve no idea where that idea has come from, a minute of POA will keep your working time down by a minute, an hour of POA will keep your working time down by an hour :confused:

blue estate:

No idea where you get that idea from, any POA counts as POA, and pushes the wtd period of 6 hours forward by that amount. So 20 mins on POA pushes your 6hr wtd by a further 20 mins.

For the original poster.

The trainer is right if your not careful it will reset your driving time. If you have had a break then using POA after is fine as it then pushes the hr rule forward by that amount of time. So if you must use it use the first amount of time as break to reset your driving time then switch to POA if they insist you use it. Otherwise just break as that doesn’t count towards your working time either.