Bloody DAF's

I’m a bit jealous of DAF drivers coz I’m always being overtaken by one! I’m currently in a 12 tonne MAN and it’s nippy when empty, but when it comes to top end, if a Daf’s in front it’s a case of pull back in and follow it!

Today a drawbar skip lorry pulled away slowly on dual carriageway, so I decided to go for an overtake, bear in mind I thought it was a Scania :wink: . So I pull out and then realise it’s a flamin Daf, and by then I’m alongside and stuck in no mans land. But luckily he slowed for me to pass, nice one chap :sunglasses: .

Maybe I’ll get to drive one in the future with a wry smile :grimacing: ,

Has anyone else had this rather embarrassing experience, or have you got a wagon slightly quicker than the rest of us, Irish aside of course!!

Regards

DB

I have this problem with my new Actros. Everything gets past me with ease. According to the speedo, its doing 56mph. But on the satnav jumps between 53 and 54mph. [emoji35]

Used to drive an 08 plate Stralis that also said 56 on the speedo but 59 on the satnav and I could overtake the occasional Irish truck with it. Loved the look on some of their faces when they seen an old Stralis flying past them. [emoji3]

Turbo lag on the DAF is designed, to avoid embarrassing Scania drivers at the traffic lights.

:sunglasses:

you wanna move to canada m8 65mph lol

I used to have a 12 tonne Daf. Fastest truck I’ve ever driven. Old satnav reckoned it maxed out at 55, although when I used to drive it before I inherited it, the same satnav used to say it did 58. Even fully loaded it pulled well, and empty it could even startle the odd white van man.

Currently drive a MAN artic, snooper reckons it’s only doing 54 on the flat, speedo reads 56, and not much seems to pass me when I’m on the limiter, but it’s very gutless, embarrassing up Windy Hill with anything over 10 tonne on.

the nodding donkey:
Turbo lag on the DAF is designed, to avoid embarrassing Scania drivers at the traffic lights.

Lol! :grimacing:

My sat navs the same 53-54 (Garmin btw)
Canada sounds good too!

The Daf 8wheeler I drive has been remapped to about 420bhp, but the truck still wears 360 badges. :sunglasses:

Someone wants a DAF? :open_mouth:

Just remember that when pulling away from a standing start, it requires 2 weeks notice. In writing!

The other day I was waiting at a junction for a couple of cars and a van to cross my path. I accelerated before the van reached me and it had cleared my path before the truck responded. The gearbox is rubbish and MAN use the same gearbox (for some bizarre reason) :imp:

scanny77:

Just remember that when pulling away from a standing start, it requires 2 weeks notice. In writing!

The other day I was waiting at a junction for a couple of cars and a van to cross my path. I accelerated before the van reached me and it had cleared my path before the truck responded. The gearbox is rubbish and MAN use the same gearbox (for some bizarre reason) :imp:

Yep they’re crap [emoji49] where I used to work they had 15 toners put yer foot down and week later it would decide to go

scanny77:

i always pulled off by Yellow and perhaps by Green the Wheel started turning :laughing:

Immigrant:
i always pulled off by Yellow and perhaps by Green the Wheel started turning :laughing:

Chinese?

My Premium is hobbled to 51 although the speedo reads 53. Slowest one on the fleet, that being said there is nothing that will beat me off the line even when loaded. My I’m light or empty I like to scare the pants off the boy racers next to me at the lights!

had a daf rigid on exel logistics,left a majority of hgvs standing

You think they are fast now? You should have seen them go before limiter days. :laughing:

albion1971:
You think they are fast now? You should have seen them go before limiter days. :laughing:

yeah, 70mph + down the m6 wasnt unheard of back in the day

My 65 plate XF106 has no discernible lag when pulling away at roundabouts etc. Either the perceived problem has been fixed, or it is an ‘operator error’ ■■
:grimacing:

Not quite sure what this obsession with speed is when folks are getting paid by the hour. The sooner you get back to the yard, the less you earn - basic economics… :open_mouth:

I predominantly drive tippers (DAF, Scanias, Volvos and Mercs) which are fully laden for most of the time, so speed never comes into things. I’d rather have something that goes into gear easily.

LIBERTY_GUY:
Not quite sure what this obsession with speed is when folks are getting paid by the hour. The sooner you get back to the yard, the less you earn - basic economics… :open_mouth:

I predominantly drive tippers (DAF, Scanias, Volvos and Mercs) which are fully laden for most of the time, so speed never comes into things. I’d rather have something that goes into gear easily.

Spot on,its because they most likely want to impress the Gaffer,look how fast I did the job ain`t I good or they want to layby it for longer

I’ve got a big cab Daf cf 460 fastest on our fleet too, seemingly been remapped to about 480-490.
Pulls like a locomotive on all these hills at 44-45 ton but the best mpg I’ve had at the pump is 5.9…

Nothing to do with impressing the boss he can get ■■■■■■ for all I care I just like smoking fellow drivers on the inclines

Ryy86:
I’ve got a big cab Daf cf 460 fastest on our fleet too, seemingly been remapped to about 480-490.
Pulls like a locomotive on all these hills at 44-45 ton but the best mpg I’ve had at the pump is 5.9…

Sound’s like a pointless remap to me, just 30bhp. I thought the normal amount was around 50-60bhp? Certainly was for the 8 I drive.