Bloody daf automatics grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

done a shift the other day in a cf automatic done my checks started to drive it out of the yard 3 bloody yellow warnings showed up on the dash, alternator,engine,transmission, off to daf i went 3.5hrs later bold boy appears like Mr benn, sorted he said on your way picked up trailer 5mins into journey …SAME AGAIN went back to Daf, oh it’s electrical bring it back in after your shift the thing kept the alarm goin all bleedin day!! as long as it don’t flag up a RED warning you’ll be fine… 2hrs from yard on the M6 RED alternator warning, pulled over sat for 5mins the alarms reset off i went again, yellow warnings all the way home,i was not a happy chappie, anything like that again they can stick it up their ronson!! :laughing:

If you hit the button on the dash that brings up the onboard stuff it should stop the warning from showing as you have told it you have noted the warning.
It will however come on again when ignition is switched off and on again so just hit the button again
As with some ABS warnings it sometimes goes off but when you use the breaks again it may come back on so hit the button yet again

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: All autos should all be banned. :smiling_imp:

in the words of the sugarbabes, i “pushed that button” all bleedin night :laughing: :laughing: it just would not reset no matter how many times i pressed that blasted thing, & whats more it fair swallows the juice on an average run i’m 20ltrs worse off compared to the manual box. :confused:

Its a fairly common fault with Daf Cf’s…

IF i remember right, on the one of the OD’s we had, it was finally traced to a broken wire behind the starter motor… Know of about 3 who all had the same problem.

Its not just autos that suffer this, manuals are just as prone. Broken wire wont show up on Main dealer diagnostics, so dont waste time and money with em…

Lol I’ve heard that “if its a yellow warning don’t worry about it” many times…I hate autos, they’re so jerky and stuff! For instance,I had to do a run from Reading to Birmingham the other day and swap trailers. I almost s*** myself when i was hitching up, the unit got stuck half way under the trailer, I went and had a look at how much lower I needed to lower the unit and realised that if I did lower it anymore, then the pin would go over the 5th wheel! So I gradually gave it a bit of power and it suddenly shot back, I thought the trailer was going to come through the cab! I didn’t realise auto’s used more fuel though :confused:

ivor biggin:
done a shift the other day in a cf automatic done my checks started to drive it out of the yard 3 bloody yellow warnings showed up on the dash, alternator,engine,transmission, off to daf i went 3.5hrs later bold boy appears like Mr benn, sorted he said on your way picked up trailer 5mins into journey …SAME AGAIN went back to Daf, oh it’s electrical bring it back in after your shift the thing kept the alarm goin all bleedin day!! as long as it don’t flag up a RED warning you’ll be fine… 2hrs from yard on the M6 RED alternator warning, pulled over sat for 5mins the alarms reset off i went again, yellow warnings all the way home,i was not a happy chappie, anything like that again they can stick it up their ronson!! :laughing:

So, where exactly is the alternator in the ASTronic box?

and where exactly is the engine in the ASTronic box too?

i drive an XF95 with ASTronic, it’s funny how i don’t seem to have all these problems, yeah, i get a transmission warning every now and again, but that is when the air pressure is low, build the air up and it goes away.

why does everybody always blame the auto box for all the other problems they have with the truck?

as for the drive of them, personally, i prefer it to a manual box these days, if you take your time and think (oh, sorry, we are truck drivers, we don’t get paid to do that do we :confused: ) about what you are doing, and plan ahead, there is no problem

as for the coupling and uncoupling, i don’t seem to have a problem with that either, then again, i don’t do that much of it

We run a mix of daf cf’s both manual and auto, there is virtually no difference in fuel .
Nor do we have a lot of electrical problems, not like the Stralis’

Does the autobox cause these problems?

ellies dad:
Does the autobox cause these problems?

No.

i run 1 ASTronic and 2 manual boxed trucks, get the same problems on any of them.

i have also driven the ASTronic for a couple of years before i bought my own.

the only different warnings that will come up with the auto are, transmission air low and transmission warning (due to low air)

drive um at dnhl cf 85s auto
either all or nothing

i drive a 04 reg cf at the moment and as mr spankey knows ive had no end of problems with mine this week.

now the other day it wouldnt start, so out came daf stuck some air into it and blame the as tronic for selecting a faulty neutral. but i get transmission warnings up when it’s got no air and also when the tanks are full off air… although i get most of the transmission warnings when im at a gatehouse then i have to try and restart the engine 5/6 times before it will start. i get red warnings for no oil level data for no reason and also coolent levels when im parked on flat ground.

to be fair i blame wear and tear. my daf is 5 years old and has just done 220439 km’s but driving backwards and forwards to keighley, halifax and huddersfield and sliding 27 ton boxes 3 times a day i think the truck has done than its fair share to be honest.

honestly next time i would like a volvo.

cant drive an auto
have you been shown how to
are you selecting the right mode for the action you wish to do

It seems autos are more trouble than their worth, I am not surprised at all.

DAFMAD:

no they are not :confused:

most of the faults mentioned in this thread have absolutely nothing to do with the ASTronic transmission.

coolant level?

oil level?

they are on the engine, not the transmission, but, hey ho, never mind, lets all blame the auto box because we don’t like them :unamused:

these are electrical issues on a five year old vehicle that is basically used for shunting, you can/will get the same issues on a manual transmission, but lets not let the true facts get in the way of a good old fashioned lynching :confused:

shuttlespanker:

DAFMAD:

most of the faults mentioned in this thread have absolutely nothing to do with the ASTronic transmission.

coolant level?

oil level?

they are on the engine, not the transmission, but, hey ho, never mind, lets all blame the auto box because we don’t like them :unamused:

these are electrical issues on a five year old vehicle that is basically used for shunting, you can/will get the same issues on a manual transmission, but lets not let the true facts get in the way of a good old fashioned lynching :confused:

no i agree coolent and oil are’nt to do with the as tronic but as you said its wear and tear on my vehicle for as you put shunting. i had an xf at longs that was of 05 reg and that had a boat load of transmission warnings as well.

dont get me wrong here, when i first got the as tronic 5 years ago i though it was the dog’s nuts and to be fair with it it’s the second best auto after the i shift. but as ive said it’s the wear and tear of the work its doing.

before f/liner bought the daf’s i had the demonstrator which i thought was fantastic so it got a glowing report. when they ordered them a rep from daf came over and was telling us that she had taken the cf auto then lenght and breadth off britain all over ireland, wales and north of scotland over a 2 week peroid on trails with a fridge trailer on and it came back with fantastic figures, so iasked her what its like sliding a 20ft box in the rain. well she couldnt answer that :unamused:

( anyway i thought you wanted a free drink ) :laughing:

jessicas dad:

shuttlespanker:

DAFMAD:

coolant level?

oil level?

no i agree coolent and oil are’nt to do with the as tronic but as you said its wear and tear on my vehicle for as you put shunting. i had an xf at longs that was of 05 reg and that had a boat load of transmission warnings as well.

dont get me wrong here, when i first got the as tronic 5 years ago i though it was the dog’s nuts and to be fair with it it’s the second best auto after the i shift. but as ive said it’s the wear and tear of the work its doing.

before f/liner bought the daf’s i had the demonstrator which i thought was fantastic so it got a glowing report. when they ordered them a rep from daf came over and was telling us that she had taken the cf auto then lenght and breadth off britain all over ireland, wales and north of scotland over a 2 week peroid on trails with a fridge trailer on and it came back with fantastic figures, so iasked her what its like sliding a 20ft box in the rain. well she couldnt answer that :unamused:

( anyway i thought you wanted a free drink ) :laughing:

it was not a dig or moan at yourself JD, it was a reply to DAFMAD

and i do :laughing:

The older they get, the worse they get, including I-shifts.

i"ve got a daf cf 07 plate with 400,000kms on it.i"ve just had these problems again for the 2nd time.
it"s down to the main wiring loom from the ecu,the first time it happened i lost all my electrics,daf edinburgh replaced the first loom(there are two),and it cured it.
apparently they suffer from water ingress(one loom is routed along the front of the vehicle behind the front bumper),and the wires go brittle and snap,resulting in spurious untrue warnings on your dash.
chatfields daf birtley had my truck for four days last week,and were unable to diagnose the problem,even though i told them symptoms and what daf at edinburgh said.the computer does not always store the faults,so when they plug there computer in,it says there is no problem,then the thick fitters send it on its way(rant over).
so my truck has gone for mot at our garage near dundee,and i have booked it off again,so hopefully daf dundee can have a go at it.
faults coming up on mine include:
1)unit brake wear lining indicator
2)transmission warning
3)engine warning(sometimes red,sometimes yellow.)
4)ebs brake fault
5)alternator warning.
the auto box compared to the volvo i shift in my opinion is crap.it doesnt change up or down when it should,selects wrong gears,and is jerky and slow.daf have a way to come before it becomes a pleasure to drive.(ps,i am a daf fan).