Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

Hello John,

Thank you for the kind thoughts :smiley: ,yes he has worked with me since he was 16/17 so he is now a well respected porter/driver ,he is our holiday relief on the lgvs ,so I am a bit lost at the moment ,he sounds pretty good but I do not think he will be back until February .

No news on the new truck apart from the odd question the body builder asks every now and then .

I have just wash the 3.5 t sprinter this afternoon as I want to keep on top of it before “Ginga” returns (nothing worst than coming back to work to clean up your motor or get it how you want it .
Yes the Robinsons 18t drawbar !!! I think they just want to keep it going for now .

JAKEY:
Good morning Pete,

Thank you for your message above ,what are the names of the firms ? as we are not too far away I might know them ? ,Wilkins from Henley are now based in the old BRS Reading at Cardiff road ,bloody big warehouse .

Well from memory there was Lynn Godwin based on the Oxford Road in Reading, Robert Darvall at Whitley Wood who also had a coal round (with horses when I was a lad!) and did continental removals with a Guy Big J four wheeler with drawbar trailer, Mr Absolom (no longer around I would imagine) who ran an Albion Claymore and Taylors Transport who had Bedfords I think? There were more, Modern Display in Reading ran a BMC fleet and did continental work but mostly setting up tradestands etc, Pickfords of course and Bishops Move had a few depots. Reeves from Wokingham were another, I bet they are all gone now though.

Pete.

Good morning Pete ,

I think the only company still going are Taylors ,and I think they only recently stopped using the Bedford’ :open_mouth: s ,we never see them round our way though, Pickfords do not have a depot there either but I think Bishops have one in Wokingham area .

Bit before my days but the Robert Darvall ltd Guy drawbar looked pretty impressive ,I am sure there is one of there Guy’s still in a scrap yard some where ! :open_mouth:

JAKEY:
Good morning Pete ,

I think the only company still going are Taylors ,and I think they only recently stopped using the Bedford’ :open_mouth: s ,we never see them round our way though, Pickfords do not have a depot there either but I think Bishops have one in Wokingham area .

Bit before my days but the Robert Darvall ltd Guy drawbar looked pretty impressive ,I am sure there is one of there Guy’s still in a scrap yard some where ! :open_mouth:
[/quote]

Yes there is Jakey, I have recently seen a pic of it on Facebook I think.

Found it, pic taken recently but not by me. :laughing:

Pete.

Great photo ,sadly it looks like that the Guy is not going to be restored ,Cab and body look very rotten ,shame that would look great doing the rounds now .

windrush:

JAKEY:
Good morning Pete ,

[/quote]

Yes there is Jakey, I have recently seen a pic of it on Facebook I think.

Found it, pic taken recently but not by me. :laughing:

Pete.

Hi Lads,
Happy New year to you all !
What a lovely looking truck in its hay day…amazing to see it still in this condition…I would have thought this pic was taken some time ago…like you say another well known company no longer…Lyn Goodwin are still around though aren’t they…I always remember them in the cattle market cafe in the early morning after me spending the night on the lorry park next door…nice breakfast and cup of tea…also regular for the Pickfords lads to.
The guy on the entrance to the lorry park was like Hitler …if you were not off that park before 7 in the morning he wouldn’t let you out until you payed :smiley:
Can’t remember what that name of the pub was on the entrance to the lorry park !
Griff Fender back in the 1970s had two Guy tractor units SYL 110N and SYL 111N With the first container trailers i’d seen …the doors were like concertina all flooded together.

48413005_10216436396375282_5321076687146844160_n.jpg

Hi lads ,happy new year ,a new addition to my truck

image.jpeg

Looking Good John , are you busy this week ?

JAKEY:

Hi Steve,no 4 drops yesterday,8 drops today ,off tomorrow doing removal job my missus son is moving into his new house so got van ready then load up and drop off there so the removal hat goes on :laughing:

John , right then I beare that in mind now your out of removal man retirement :open_mouth: :laughing: , your sleep well mate . :sunglasses:

smallcoal:

JAKEY:

Hi Steve,no 4 drops yesterday,8 drops today ,off tomorrow doing removal job my missus son is moving into his new house so got van ready then load up and drop off there so the removal hat goes on :laughing:

John sorry I’m unable to help you mate !
An old head like yours it will all come flooding back mate…get the whip out on those helping you mate :smiley:

Steve,
That’s a lovely looking pic of the MAN with a lovely 320cube container…those size containers are a dream to work and load mate…they should all be that size (Standard) the bloody 250 cube are a pain…always strugling to get certain things in them.

How’s January looking now Steve picking up ?

16864343_1746480078711353_8241143332409133640_n.jpg

Hi lads,just climbed into bed knackered,mark no problem mate just glad there’s mates I can phone for advice ,he bought a three seater and a two seater had them delivered to his nans didn’t think of waiting and have them delivered to the house anyway all done how’s your week been mark

Can anybody remember a company called Harold Lomas ?
They were from Manchester…ran old Marsden integrals colour red…they were known for having religious scripture on the from of the van about Jesus.
There is another company John Lomas from Cannock often wondered if there is a connection.

Picture courtesy of Dean Paul Gee.

P8090074p.JPG.jpg

smallcoal:
Hi lads,just climbed into bed knackered,mark no problem mate just glad there’s mates I can phone for advice ,he bought a three seater and a two seater had them delivered to his nans didn’t think of waiting and have them delivered to the house anyway all done how’s your week been mark

Hi John,
Always the biggest mistake mate taking delivery of furniture before you move in mate :smiley:
All in now mate will sleep tonight be dreaming of that bloody low ceiling and window.
Back to work Monday mate nice bit of time off !
Carm before the storm…getting to use to getting up at late morning and going to bed at stupid oclock…back to reality next week mate.