Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

oiltreader:
At a show and working.
Oily

That’s a lovely looking bit of kit there oiltreader,
In all fairness they realy look to there trucks

Removals graemeireland 40905519735_367b66e6fc_o gi .jpg

Paul John:
Hi all. I enjoy reading this thread. Just looking at Ellis Morgan’s Bedford there and I believe they were mostly used on fibre glass work out of Pontypool.
I was looking at the address and phone numbers! Ellis Morgan of Pengam, with a Bargoed telephone number and then a Blackwood address. In the early days they were on Fairview hill down a lane behind a row of houses. Almost impossible to find if you didn’t know they were there.
John, the viva van was a Bedford HA officially, but as you say we called them viva vans. I don’t think you could fit a lorry spare wheel into the back of it, great little service van though.

Paul

Hi Paul…yes I always thought the same about Ellis Morgan…Pengam…Bargoed and Blackwood…yes like you say a mojority of there work was on the fiberglass along with Fox’s

A02070.jpg

Hello MARK ,Yes we are ,I had to drive the Daf today as my brother is having four days off and my 6t sprinter was having some body work done ,its back tomorrow so I be happier , yes mainly local but one job maybe tranship both ends , heading to Marlborough Wiltshire , another job has some crappey low branches leading to our job in Botley Oxford and we are concerned about scracthing the hoffs MAN !!! we will take a battery lopper incase , going to sign my life away for the new tgl tomorrow !!! all its in writing now and ready to order . :laughing:

JAKEY:
Hello MARK ,Yes we are ,I had to drive the Daf today as my brother is having four days off and my 6t sprinter was having some body work done ,its back tomorrow so I be happier , yes mainly local but one job maybe tranship both ends , heading to Marlborough Wiltshire , another job has some crappey low branches leading to our job in Botley Oxford and we are concerned about scracthing the hoffs MAN !!! we will take a battery lopper incase , going to sign my life away for the new tgl tomorrow !!! all its in writing now and ready to order . :laughing:

Steve a set of tree loppers are a must mate…goes through me having to go through light trees.
Have your bro accepted he’s having a new truck ?
If he’s not keen get that lad of yours on it…I bet he would be as proud as punch driving that tgl MAN !
I’m starting to load that job tommorow for Buckingham. …it also as to be transhipped out to…mwill let you know how far I get on Wednesday mate.

Carl Williams:

marktaff:

Carl Williams:

marktaff:
Carl for sure…a strict service plan top speed 55mph and hopefully the same steady driver for the lifetime of the vehicle I can see how you were achieving the life out of these engines…at what miles did you do an oil change Carl ?.

Most of the 500s I drove were also inspected every 4 weeks…they only had an oil change every 10 to 12 thousand miles though if my memory is right…also with one’s I drove and new of did a lot of multi drop work to homes and like I said we’re capable of speeds of 70+ mph on the motorway…the other locally base company Griff Fender also ran 6 Bedford KMs 500s 16 ton R and S plate Pickfords spec vans on the same multi drop work…they also had there own maintenance facilities and we’re inspected and serviced the same way …but sadly also suffered the same problems with the 500s to…but these also were capable of 70+ mph on motorways…the drivers were queuing up for one of these Bedfords back then…Griff Fender ran mostly Leyland Boxers which were slow top speed on some of 45 to 50 mph…the drivers with the Bedfords would boast of how quick they could go from Swansea to London in four and a half hours :grimacing:
Clearly the 500s were not built for that type of speed although they were capable of it…no doubt Carl if companies like Pickfords had governed there fuel pumps like you did back then…they would have also saved themselfs a fortune…Carl i always admired your vehicles back in the day your colours and lettering did those integrals justice…your vehicles were always a regular site at the back of the Co op in Oxford street in Swansea.

Attached a pic of one of the KM 500s Griff Fender ran on the same work.

Regards Mark

Our oil & filter changes were every 4 weeks regardless of mileage which on average would be about 5.000-6,000 miles. Like you say the drivers loved the Bedford integrals and so longest serving employees got them, kept & cared for them. Like you say we had Lairds & Boxes, as well as Commer & Dodge & although Maintenance was the same the Lairds with Leyland (BMC) engines were dreadful & Perkins in Boxers not much better. 100,000 miles was good for Perkins & 50,000 for the Leyland crap.

My father also drove a BMC Laird for Griff Fender from new…they had a batch of them J reg plates with the BMC engines EGU 182 J to 189 with Norwich coachworks 1800cuft bodies…I always remember my father saying the engines were to small for the size body…they were a lot of trouble…Fenders would keep 2 spare engines that’s how unreliable they were.

The Bedford integral in the photo here Carl…I can see it’s a W plate …was this an early TL ?

Hi Mark it was a TK, we never fancied TLs with tilt cabs & the last 9 new vehicles we bought were Mercedes 16 ton GVW & 1 12.5 ton GVW (All 16 tonners turbo charged & smaller one not) sadly by the 1980s Bedfords were lacking street cred & due to customers pressure we went onto Mercedes & so this one was one of our last Bedfords. Because of the popularity of TKs they still produced them in parallel with the TL for a long time.

Usually we bought TK chassis cabs & Marsden or vanplan stripped down to chassis scuttle & sellling screen doors etc, as we could get immediate delivery on Chassis cabs where as chaasis scuttles had to be ordered. However this was a ‘Special vehicle’ produced specially for exhibit at the Motor show and was built as a chassis scuttle. When we got it we could see nothing special in the Bedford bit, perhaps it had more qualty checks, but Marsdens had done a bit better finnish including coloured floor. As I said Cess Ramsey the driver was coming off RUP601M a Seddon Pennine with Vanplan. In L to N reg we had bought a few Seddon Pennines some bodied by Marsden & some Vanplan. The drivers were coming off 330 cu in Bedford TK Pantechnicons which they considered sleeper cabs (Sleeping over the engine at back of cab and in order to please we had these Seddons built with hatches from cab into the Lutons and moveable partitions to separate the luton from the rest of the body. These could be used if required for for instance a very large removal where the space was needed, but as they were longer than the older Bedfords customers didn’t mind loosing the luton, for haulage work. When Cess heard about the new van he was getting he asked could it have a hatch into the luton & made with detachable partition, and as this batch of Bedfords were stretched o the same length as the Seddons we agreed.

As I explained Cess was friendly with all the managers at Havant he managed to get them to fit him a microwave & fridge which was in development for Caravan use & agreed to test them for them. So in 1980s Cess had probably better than the best sleeper cabs today. The TKs were very popular with drivers and when we got the first batch of 6 Mercesdes drivers were allocated that had been driving 330 cu in & 466cu in Bedford Marsdens and they hated the Mercedes, calling them Tin Cabs because they were so cold in the winter.

What happened to Griff Fender. We did some work together a few times I seem to remember, and they were a respected company. I understand Pickfords took them over. Did they close them down? Such a shame because like many of the bus companies Pickfords were given so much town centre properties when they were denationalised they could carry on in their disorganised way using this ill gained profit.

Hi Carl…I was never a fan of the TL either…i drove a D plate 16 tonner for a while with the upgraded 500 engine with a turbo…I use to joke is the turbo working on this vehicle…it was flat on hills empty …another common fault with the 16 tonner was the gear linkage they use to wear badly…like pot luck selecting gears.

Sounds realy refreshing Carl that you let your drivers like Cess Ramsey have some imput in to the new vehicle they were about to be given and treasure. …sounds like Cess had the manager’s at Thorne EMI eating out of his hand…what a genius way of getting those items fitted…he sounds a well respected driver Carl…I also remember the Seddon Pennies you ran to…they were rare vans back then…I use to back load out of Miles in Leeds back in the very late 70s early 80s they had part of the mail order contract with Kay’s catalogue delivering there Upholstery…a lot of the upholstery was made in your kneck of the woods by UBU. …anyway Miles ran seddon integrals to but not Marsden or Vanplans …I’m not sure what coachwork bodies they were but fine looking vans.
I always remember most of you integrals had tailifts !

Griff Fender…Pickfords bought them out in 1968 they were originally in the Strand in Swansea…but not long after Pickfords accusation they moved over to Foxhole in Swansea to an modern train wagon repair works building that was no longer in use…the premises was about 30,000sqft…they ran the operation out of Foxhole until about 1983 mainly the mail order contract Pickfords had at that time…Fenders did most of the work but under the Fenders name…but most of the upholstery was made in Caerphilly so trucking it from Caerphilly to Swansea was a no no…so they opened a distribution site in Cardiff…by this time also as they were replacing vehicles they were replacing them with Pickfords distribution livered vehicles…so the Griff Fender name slowly disappeared. …some of the original Swansea drivers went to Cardiff and a lot didn’t …Pickfords Removals who were in Swansea to moved from Neath road Hafod Swansea to the Foxhole site Fenders once occupied …they only ran 4 vehicles the Foxhole site was way to big for them…the site went down till from there…Pickfords moved to New purpose built premises in 1989 in another part of
Swansea…the Foxhole site as been demolished now about 3 years ago…houses being built on it now…like you said sold all the prime sites they had they were cash rich Pickfords…and now they are gone to realy.

Pics attached Carl these 2 Leyland boxers at the end of there life’s 1978 vehicles…the bodies on these tired boxers were originally off the J reg BMC Lairds…they altered the bodies to fit the boxers…as you can see the bodies are well worn and patched.

IMG.jpg

marktaff:

smallcoal:
Hi mark and jakey, I can honestly say Jones never had any breakdowns with the trucks,we had a fitter viv h was brilliant at repairs and he would service them regularly he used to carry everything in his Vauxhall viva van ,going to the drivers houses to service them on a Sunday morning ,here’s marks fathers defects written on the back of a mag :laughing: :laughing:

John i’d forgotten about that mate bit shocked as soon as I saw it…that was typical of my old man he would never get the driver to write it down …he would ask them any problems and he would note it…times have changed.
I remember Jones fitter and the Viva van…I saw him a couple of times up at Associated upholstery on Bennett street operating on there D series Ford’s.

Hi mark,yes he went everywhere in that van even if it’s to change a tyre no airgun in those day manual work Jones only had two fords new they were gbo626w johnnys truck (RIP) Haydn had mbo779x he lived in Caerphilly the other couple were second hand but he remained faithful to Bedfords cause that’s what they started with ,I don’t think they had defect books in those days :laughing: cheers John

marktaff:

Paul John:
Hi all. I enjoy reading this thread. Just looking at Ellis Morgan’s Bedford there and I believe they were mostly used on fibre glass work out of Pontypool.
I was looking at the address and phone numbers! Ellis Morgan of Pengam, with a Bargoed telephone number and then a Blackwood address. In the early days they were on Fairview hill down a lane behind a row of houses. Almost impossible to find if you didn’t know they were there.
John, the viva van was a Bedford HA officially, but as you say we called them viva vans. I don’t think you could fit a lorry spare wheel into the back of it, great little service van though.

Paul

Hi Paul…yes I always thought the same about Ellis Morgan…Pengam…Bargoed and Blackwood…yes like you say a mojority of there work was on the fiberglass along with Fox’s

Hi Mark. Not sure how well you know that part of the Valley’s where Ellis Morgan were based. Pengam was the small village they were based at, Blackwood being the nearest town. Back in them days the phones were tied to the exchange. Bargoed covered quite a large area from Deri down to Ystrad Mynach with Aberbargoed, Britannia and all small villages included. Confusing if you weren’t from around there.
Fox of Cwmbran were a well known company at one time known as Fox the Mover. Iirc Fox and a few other movers got caught up in a price fixing deal with the army in Crickowal. Home of the Welsh Guards. It was a scandal at the time, and Fox seemed to take the fall.
Not sure if it was Ellis Morgan’s grandson or great grandson was a decent trials bike rider. I remember supplying him with a 307 Merc courtesy of the very generous Gabe Harding, owner of Gulliver’s Self Drive Hire of Cardiff to go up to Scotland to compete in the International Six Day Trial.
Please excuse the miss spelling, dam American computer auto corrects, well sort of!

Paul

Paul John:

marktaff:

Paul John:

Paul

Hi Mark. Not sure how well you know that part of the Valley’s where Ellis Morgan were based. Pengam was the small village they were based at, Blackwood being the nearest town. Back in them days the phones were tied to the exchange. Bargoed covered quite a large area from Deri down to Ystrad Mynach with Aberbargoed, Britannia and all small villages included. Confusing if you weren’t from around there.
Fox of Cwmbran were a well known company at one time known as Fox the Mover. Iirc Fox and a few other movers got caught up in a price fixing deal with the army in Crickowal. Home of the Welsh Guards. It was a scandal at the time, and Fox seemed to take the fall.
Not sure if it was Ellis Morgan’s grandson or great grandson was a decent trials bike rider. I remember supplying him with a 307 Merc courtesy of the very generous Gabe Harding, owner of Gulliver’s Self Drive Hire of Cardiff to go up to Scotland to compete in the International Six Day Trial.
Please excuse the miss spelling, dam American computer auto corrects, well sort of!
Hi Paul, fox still in Cwmbran we deliver up pengam,and them areas I hate doing that area cause sometimes I have house deliveries with my 26 tonner going up lanes and small streets :grimacing: cheers John

Hello Mark , although my brother is a partner he has No idea what I do and what I do not do in the office ,he has not set his foot in the office for 2.5 years !!! :laughing: ,any how No he knows we are replacing his Daf but that’s it , its fitted with every thing he need’s so hopefully he be happy ,if Not then tough ■■■■■ ,he wont go just portering will he ? We have my nephew “ginger” who is our spare lgv driver (he drives his 3.5t sprinter) but he is not keen on overnights these days ,like you say my lad should be trained up :open_mouth:

smallcoal:

marktaff:

smallcoal:
Hi mark and jakey, I can honestly say Jones never had any breakdowns with the trucks,we had a fitter viv h was brilliant at repairs and he would service them regularly he used to carry everything in his Vauxhall viva van ,going to the drivers houses to service them on a Sunday morning ,here’s marks fathers defects written on the back of a mag :laughing: :laughing:

John i’d forgotten about that mate bit shocked as soon as I saw it…that was typical of my old man he would never get the driver to write it down …he would ask them any problems and he would note it…times have changed.
I remember Jones fitter and the Viva van…I saw him a couple of times up at Associated upholstery on Bennett street operating on there D series Ford’s.

Hi mark,yes he went everywhere in that van even if it’s to change a tyre no airgun in those day manual work Jones only had two fords new they were gbo626w johnnys truck (RIP) Haydn had mbo779x he lived in Caerphilly the other couple were second hand but he remained faithful to Bedfords cause that’s what they started with ,I don’t think they had defect books in those days :laughing: cheers John

Hi John…I remember the two vehicles you mention there…yes Jones also had a couple of X Tyler’s Ford D series from Bowns Caerphilly…Bowns contract hired most of the trucks back in the day to Tylers…we had three from them to CTG 200V…205V…208V…I remember Jones’s having CTG 204V…they were X Associated Upholstery trucks Bennett street.

Regards Mark

JAKEY:
Hello Mark , although my brother is a partner he has No idea what I do and what I do not do in the office ,he has not set his foot in the office for 2.5 years !!! :laughing: ,any how No he knows we are replacing his Daf but that’s it , its fitted with every thing he need’s so hopefully he be happy ,if Not then tough ■■■■■ ,he wont go just portering will he ? We have my nephew “ginger” who is our spare lgv driver (he drives his 3.5t sprinter) but he is not keen on overnights these days ,like you say my lad should be trained up :open_mouth:

Get your lad trained up Steve…he sounds hungry for it mate !

Paul John:

marktaff:

Paul John:

Paul

Paul

Hi Paul…yes I know that area pretty well and how close together the villages are…yes i also remember the scandal at that time with the Army work…the fibreglass contracts put most of the Gwent boys on the map back in the day Paul…I think Fox’s had 20+ vehicles on that contract…the Morgan’s lad with the trials bike…did he have anything to do with the business back in the day Paul ?

Regards Mark

marktaff:

Paul John:

marktaff:

Paul John:

Paul

Paul

Hi Paul…yes I know that area pretty well and how close together the villages are…yes i also remember the scandal at that time with the Army work…the fibreglass contracts put most of the Gwent boys on the map back in the day Paul…I think Fox’s had 20+ vehicles on that contract…the Morgan’s lad with the trials bike…did he have anything to do with the business back in the day Paul ?

Regards Mark

Hi Mark. To be honest I am not sure if he worked in the business or not. This was back in 1991. I met his aunty who did work in the business a few years later, she never stopped talking about him! He was probably in his late teens then.

Hi John, how about those hills? A few steep ones around there. I can not believe back in the late 70s/80s getting off the M4 at Risca and traveling up to Rhymney through Ponlanfraith, Aberbargoed, New Tredegar etc. All those hills and bends, another lorry or one of numerous double deckers coming the opposite way would more than kill your momentum. Even going to the Midlands, down Black Rock slowly then on to the old Raglan Rd. No good speeding, had to respect the road, especially with heavy loads.
I have in the past, not now though done city routes here in Florida on LTL less than truckload or multi drop pallet deliveries like yourself. Here we use 53ft box trailers with single or tandem axle tractors. Depending on the route up to 200 miles a day 15/20 stops. Before I switched to line-haul [night trunk] I would leave with 24 pallets, sometimes more if they would double stack and return full as well. I was as fit as a butchers dog back then.

Regards Paul

Hi mark,jakey and Paul, there’s a blast I knew he had ex Christies I remember that now that reg slipped by me he bought a few of bowns I got a pic here someone in treforest had a scrap yard and this was found ,I hope mark not causing a riot up your neck of the woods jakey :laughing: them steep hills still there ,we were all like a butchers dog back then ,I think I eat all the dog food :laughing: :laughing: cheers boys John

Hello John , sad old photo of the rough Ford D , not seen Mark Yet I was hoping to see him floating about but no such luck yet . :laughing:

JAKEY:
Hello John , sad old photo of the rough Ford D , not seen Mark Yet I was hoping to see him floating about but no such luck yet . :laughing:

Hi jakey,that was found last year when they made a new road ,the old trucks in there was nobody’s bisiness ,you name it he had it :smiley: John

Having just retired i have had many varied jobs, petrol tankers, gravity tanks, steel,car transporter, fork truck transporters, rope sheeting and …removals, 20 years in that game, worked for cookes removals in nuneaton, bullens hinckley, rochdale removals then pickford removals in bury, hard work heavy lifting and some times very dirty/grubby, other time a joy to do the job. met many a nice folk along the way as well. Good porters on most occasions but the odd lazy git. MOVED ALL SORTS OF PIANOS WHICH IS FINE WITH A BOGEY AND SKID FOR THE GRAND. seemed when you/other removal firm turned up early no worries we just pitched in and help tother guys out and vice verser.
In all honesty its the best job in transport, very rewarding {tips included} and the odd “benefit” to boot,
we had bedford tks except at bullens then it was van plan bodies {seemed huge in cab).
They are the best memories of any transport job i ever had.[48 years behind the wheel} :smiley:

Hello Getz,

Thank you for your comments above , yes Removals is a very good game to be in , one job its local next its a distance job , I only stay local these days as I have to man the office as well ,but when I do get a chance to do a distance job on my truck (only a 6t sprinter ) I lap it up ! this week I have a pack ,load ,deliver over two days in Tiverton (with a bad access) so my truck and a smaller 3.5t with three of us are going down , we should be back at night but you never know !!! I have googled it and yes its a bit crap access but I think its fine .

Last year I took our new 18t MAN to Northern Ireland ,I was on top of the world with that (only reason I took it as the driver was on holiday and he didn’t want any one else driving it except me ) ,he is a mate of mine for 30 years .

Mark how did you get on in Buckingham ?

JAKEY:
Hello Getz,

Thank you for your comments above , yes Removals is a very good game to be in , one job its local next its a distance job , I only stay local these days as I have to man the office as well ,but when I do get a chance to do a distance job on my truck (only a 6t sprinter ) I lap it up ! this week I have a pack ,load ,deliver over two days in Tiverton (with a bad access) so my truck and a smaller 3.5t with three of us are going down , we should be back at night but you never know !!! I have googled it and yes its a bit crap access but I think its fine .

Last year I took our new 18t MAN to Northern Ireland ,I was on top of the world with that (only reason I took it as the driver was on holiday and he didn’t want any one else driving it except me ) ,he is a mate of mine for 30 years .

Mark how did you get on in Buckingham ?

Hi Steve… not been on been busy mate…Bucknigham trip went well mate…only got as far as Gloucester Wednesday night parked up half seven…was supose to have been going on to Britannia HQ in Redhill from Buckingham BUT had a problem with the DAF at Bicester…she started missing slightly Engine management light flashing…so left her for half hour while young Robbins contacted Daf at Swansea…when i 're started her she had stopped missing but engine light still on…Daf Swansea advice Robbins safe to drive…so abandoned the Redhill pick up and ran home just keeping an eye on her…took her into Daf swansea yesterday morning…pluged her in to the diagnostics injector deal faulty…hoping to have her back today.

How did your tranship go in Tiverton Steve ?

smallcoal:
Hi mark,jakey and Paul, there’s a blast I knew he had ex Christies I remember that now that reg slipped by me he bought a few of bowns I got a pic here someone in treforest had a scrap yard and this was found ,I hope mark not causing a riot up your neck of the woods jakey :laughing: them steep hills still there ,we were all like a butchers dog back then ,I think I eat all the dog food :laughing: :laughing: cheers boys John

Hi John…unlike you mate for anything to do with Jones’s slipping your mind :smiley:
If I’m not mistaken the pick of the Christies D series you posted there was in Jeff Ways scrap yard in Upper boat just of the A470…I remember seeing it there a long time back…I think it is one of the same batch of DSeries from Associated upholstery i talked about …if i remeber it’s CTG 207V …I think someone from the Rhonda ran her out of Contour upholstery in the Valley.

The pic I’ve attached appeared on the south Wales hauliers page a while back Andrew Coombes posted it for somebody else… Nevline tractor unit…behind it I’m sure ie CTG 200V Associated D series we ran.

Hope Andrew don’t mind me using the pic.
Regards Mark

1CBFF3AA-7F32-4B30-A064-D06F2C8F2614.jpeg