Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

One or two more, last three from dashcam.
Oily

Carl Williams:

ParkRoyal2100:
There’s an excellent photo resource on Flickr (started by Carl Williams, a name well-known to this forum) on removal wagons old and new. Well worth an hour (or a day :wink: ) browsing though:

Flickr: The Removal & storage contractors vans, old and new Pool

Thanks, It would be a lot more complete but for me being locked out of Flickr
My orriginal Email address was with Yahoo which I had about 10 years. When they announced they had been hacked I was told I had to change my password which I did and at the same time updated my mobile no which was long gone. Somehow that did not update correctly, and neither my old password or new password didn’t work You cannot ring Yahoo and it appears to me they employ morons. I emailed them & told them what had happened, and they sent me a new password to the Email address I cannot open. Tried about 5 times telling them not to Email this address as it was the one I could not open but apparently they could not understand. So I gave up, but sadly they own Flickr. It was working until they changed that password to a one I don’t know.

You cannot contact Flickr & only access is through Yahoo. Been trying for months now without success, I also have a W.H.Williams group with 130 odd of our vehicles photos which also is unaccessible

f anyone has ever got any common sense from Yahoo or Flickr please let me know what I can do

Carl

That answers a lot for me Carl, been wondering why your previous requests for photos to your flickr group had stopped and with this thread re-kindled and ParkRoyal2100 giving a link to your flickr collection I decided to have a look and join the group but was thwarted with my request by Yahoo. We exchanged mail quite a while back so I’m off to have a try with your old flickrmail address.
Oily
Edit ymail should’ve read flickrmail

Three from Orkney. Les.

20.jpg

@ Carl @oiltreader - don’t even start me on the horse[zb] you have to go through with flickr, especially since Yaboo! took it over and completely forked it up.

If you know any friendly IT nerds (you may even have some in your family) see if you can get them to fix things for you - I’m no help I’m afraid.

Here’s a thought experiment, sparked by a comment on another thread (Trucks with unconventional engine/ gearbox layouts - OLD TIME LORRIES, COMPANIES AND DRIVERS (INTERACT - Trucknet UK, aka “Trucks with unconventional engine/ gearbox layouts”).

The comment by GCR2ERF says:

GCR2ERF:
Scottish & Newcastle brewery built a prototype front wheel drive rigid dray based around a Bedford TL chassis and named it the ‘Bruce’, after Alan Bruce their Fleet Engineer who started the project. This link (should) illustrate things better;

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … -the-front

Go have a read of the linked article, from 1987. In it, some genius had come up with a front-wheel-drive wagon based on a Bedford TL. The techy stuff about engines and back-to-front gearboxes doesn’t really matter here - what interests me is:

1. why no-one bothered to develop this, at all; and

2. can you imagine the benefits of a low-height, flat load floor to us furniture humpers? Yes, there would have to be a well between the rear wheels, perhaps the body might have to be set back a little further off the back of the cab. But the benefits would have outweighed those considerations by miles. The only reasons floor heights are what they are in all removals wagons is because they have to clear final drives, driveshafts and rear diffs (and because every truck manufacturer wants to sell front engine/ rear drive layouts, cos it’s cheap). With all mechanical whatnot that up the front, you could drop the floor by a good 2’ - no more heaving 15cwt wardrobes up the tailgate. No more weird steps up off the well. And simply wheel the grand joanna up a gentle slope and park it between the wheel arches.

A photograph from Carmarthen truck show.

oiltreader:
Oily

The on time Daf is a car transporter :slight_smile:

Suedehead:

oiltreader:
Oily

And he’s on ‘L’ plates :grimacing:

Suedehead:

oiltreader:
Oily

Fancy me not knowing that :blush: now sorted cheers :smiley:
Oily

Hello, I am Ray Smyth, Ex Robert Baillie of Portsmouth.
I have just found this interesting, and sometimes amusing
thread. Do any of you removal boys remember any of the
old removal firms from Liverpool, I can recall John Mason
from High Street, Wavertree, and also S & R Smyth, from
Aigburth Road, (Same name as me,No relation).
Also Stringfellows of Wigan. I would like to see some
pictures of the above. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
Hello, I am Ray Smyth, Ex Robert Baillie of Portsmouth.
I have just found this interesting, and sometimes amusing
thread. Do any of you removal boys remember any of the
old removal firms from Liverpool, I can recall John Mason
from High Street, Wavertree, and also S & R Smyth, from
Aigburth Road, (Same name as me,No relation).
Also Stringfellows of Wigan. I would like to see some
pictures of the above. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Hi Ray, John Mason story and photos here liverpoolpicturebook.com/201 … ovals.html
Oily

A few more.
Oily

Removals cr Jaggery cc by sa 2.0 4227770_8bed4098jag .jpg

On this last set of pictures from Oily, I have noticed that the Leyland Daf of Sheppards,
and also International Moving are the same vehicle, Reg No, R518 RDM. Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
On this last set of pictures from Oily, I have noticed that the Leyland Daf of Sheppards,
and also International Moving are the same vehicle, Reg No, R518 RDM. Ray Smyth.

Well spotted Ray :slight_smile:

Going back a bit.
Oily

JRV 300F.pngI imagine that very few people will remember Percy Powell from Horndean,Hampshire.
The depot and fleet of lorries were bought out by Robert Baillie Transport of Portsmouth
in 1970. Powells fleet included Artics and Rigid vehicles by AEC, Bedford, and Ford.
Regards, Ray Smyth.

Taken across the road from the beach in Antibes, 1983. The trailer had been dropped in Paris. It isn’t possible to see the year letter, but the reg appears to be either Lancashire, Warrington, or possibly, but unlikely, Liverpool, depending on the year. A little odd for a London outfit.

Eddie Heaton:
Taken across the road from the beach in Antibes, 1983. The trailer had been dropped in Paris. It isn’t possible to see the year letter, but the reg appears to be either Lancashire, Warrington, or possibly, but unlikely, Liverpool, depending on the year. A little odd for a London outfit.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Bloody hell!!! I nearly fell off the settee when I saw that pic!! I started my driving career with Chapmans. I started there as a porter aged 17 in 1979, learning the job, but I wanted to drive around Europe so they put me through the Young Drivers Scheme to get my licence early at 19.
The registration was UTB 779S and Im sure I had that truck after Dave when he got a new one. The company ran out of South Norwood, in South London. They were both two good friends of mine. The chap is on left, Dave, was the driver , this was his regular truck and the fella next to him is Ian, Daves regular porter and later, after the company put him through his test,a driver himself. I did quite a few trips with either one of them, good lads and a great craic. Antibes was regular place for us to park up if weekended in the South of France. Note the coupling on the front bumper for the "A" frame trailer it usually pulled. That is a great pic and a real blast from my past. Excellent! :smiley: :wink: It was a Bedford engine, cant remember the size, with a 5 speed box. Twin bunks behind the driver seat / passenger bench seat. No night heater! :open_mouth: Those two chaps are the reason I cant drink, or even stand a whiff of, Scotch Whisky!! The three of us were going over to Belgium with the wagon and drag. We were on the Folkstone to Ostend boat. 4 hours and two bottles of whisky later we got off. I was 18 years old so it would have been 1980 and had never touched a drop of the stuff before. To say I was ill would be an understatement! That was my first and thankfully my last taste of the stuff :laughing: :laughing: You certainly learned to have a beer in that game.
I had some great trips and experiences around Europe with that company. They moved out of London to Paddock wood in 1989 and folded in 1999 / 2000. Incidentally, after that truck, Dave`s next one was a DAF 2100, A409GMV. this had a the normal DAF cab with a small, stepped Luton on the body to allow the cab to be tipped. Compared to UTB it was luxury! Electric windows, 12 speed gearbox and…a night heater!!! :smiley: :smiley:

Above is the same truck plus “A” frame drawbar in La Janquera in 1981. I was 19 and co driving with Dave. I had got my licence when I was 19 but could only pull the drawbar provided I I had a “babysitter”!! :unamused: When I was 21 I was finally “allowed” to take it out on my own! I loved driving that outfit. Although the company got at least two more trucks with draw bar couplings, they only ever had the one drawbar trailer. Great to drive, both forwards and backwards but the draw back was the volume of gear it could carry. That used to be a (zb) load of work for two people!!
Thanks for posting that pic Eddie.

I’m glad you found the photo interesting bullitt, it’s been stuck in a drawer for thirty odd years and I only remembered about it when I came across this thread. I’d forgotten the names of both of the lads, but your right, Dave and Ian could both certainly get rid of the drink.

Now that you’ve identified the year of the motor as ‘S’, 77/78, that would make it a Warrington registration according to my source of information.

It was certainly an impressive looking rig with the trailer hooked up wasn’t it mate?

Cheers. Eddie.

Hello Eddie. With regard to the Reg Number being from Warrington, I think that maybe, because the vehicle was built by VanPlan then maybe that’s where the factory was based! I know that the truck and trailer came as one order.
Yes, it does look quite eye catching when all hooked up and definitely YES, those two could drink!!
Thanks once again for posting it. :wink: