Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

tgl same college same job .

A Ford Transit of Indalo Transport from Mojacar in Almeria Province in South-East Spain.
The company does a regular removal service between Spain and the U.K. and return.

JAKEY:
tgl same college same job .

Hi Steve mate,not been on busy on pump over work cement plants gone crazy ,nice setting with the truck mate looking smart glad to see you picked up hope you have plenty on I was out Thursday night down penryn ,done hayle Friday then Bristol and home you heard from Mark at all ,

Good old ramp thats five steps less to worry about.

I found these adverts for removal firms in the Bootle History Forum. NMPs.
Ray.

Removals 4.jpg

Love those old adverts Ray :smiley: .

JAKEY:
Love those old adverts Ray :smiley: .

Jakey, Thank you for your reply, If you look at the 3rd picture, toward the lower left is
a drawing of a Guy Otter belonging to S. & R. Smyth, who were based at Park Road and
Aigburth Road in Liverpool, about 3 miles from where I lived as a lad, but despite having
the same name as me, they were not related. :smiley:

Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Ray ,you had quite a lot of firms locally ! i might try and down load this and put it in a frame for my office .

British Aluminium advert from 1957.

Thans Dean , fully looking motor that . :open_mouth:

JAKEY:
Thans Dean , fully looking motor that . :open_mouth:

Hi Steve ,any news on that kidwelly job yet as all removals still on down here ,I was in torquay last nite ,2 furniture trucks parked in the lorry park there

Ray Smyth:
Ray.

I thought it was only me who enjoyed reading Yellow Pages. Wherever I went in the country staying in hotels I always picked up the local yellow pages and read the pages & about the removal contractors working in the area. In those days they were the best form of advertising, and the example you show, Ray, was average. It was a costly business For Spennymoor, because of our location we had half a page in Durham area, Newcastle area, Northumberland, & Middlesbrough, with adverts also in later days in Sheffield area, Wellingborough and about & about 4 directories that covered London.

I forget where me & my ex-wife were staying many, many years ago and we were lounging in the room with her watching TV & me reading Yellow pages and she asked ‘Shall I nip down to the bar & get us a drink each?’ So off she went to order two brandy & gingers and about to bring them back into the room when the waiter said ‘I’ll carry those up for you madam’ 'No ’ she replied ‘I can manage’ ‘It would be more than my jobs worth, if I let you’ So into the lift they went and when she opened the room door entering with a waiter in uniform carrying a tray was me laid on the bed totally naked with just Yellow pages to protect my modesty.

Carl Williams:

Ray Smyth:
Ray.

I thought it was only me who enjoyed reading Yellow Pages. Wherever I went in the country staying in hotels I always picked up the local yellow pages and read the pages & about the removal contractors working in the area. In those days they were the best form of advertising, and the example you show, Ray, was average. It was a costly business For Spennymoor, because of our location we had half a page in Durham area, Newcastle area, Northumberland, & Middlesbrough, with adverts also in later days in Sheffield area, Wellingborough and about & about 4 directories that covered London.

I forget where me & my ex-wife were staying many, many years ago and we were lounging in the room with her watching TV & me reading Yellow pages and she asked ‘Shall I nip down to the bar & get us a drink each?’ So off she went to order two brandy & gingers and about to bring them back into the room when the waiter said ‘I’ll carry those up for you madam’ 'No ’ she replied ‘I can manage’ ‘It would be more than my jobs worth, if I let you’ So into the lift they went and when she opened the room door entering with a waiter in uniform carrying a tray was me laid on the bed totally naked with just Yellow pages to protect my modesty.

Hi Carl,I bet the waiter had a shock :laughing: when we weren’t busy neil our boss would have us driving round streets looking for houses for sale we had to put a card through the door advertising our removals ,I used to rip the adverts out of the yellow pages and stick them in a book even when we went all over the country wish I had kept them now

NMP

Right lads, let’s have them T- chests full of books out of the way up on the luton before we start !! :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Regards John.

old 67:
0 NMP

Right lads, let’s have them T- chests full of books out of the way up on the luton before we start !! :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Regards John.

Lovely old Bedford that I’d love to know if anyone got any t chests or are they obsolete now

old 67:
0 NMP

Regards John.

Lovely old Bedford that I’d love to know if anyone got any t chests or are they obsolete now

Hello John ,

Still no news with that Wales move ,although i got one to deliver on my motor to North wales on the 28th !!.

I got two old tea chests on a old wooden sack barrow on my virander ,just show ! every now and then i pick up two better ones and scrap the older ones , people sell them on ebay :laughing: .

1958 advert.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I remember Saunders being an Austin dealership when I lived in Reading, I think they were based in High Wycombe and the company I worked for also had the Morris dealership there.

Pete.

Just found this taken round the corner where I used to live 1978 this shot is glyndwr st where Jones had his trucks one in the background facing in and one facing out behind it there used to be 12 parked under the motorway and in the street,the boy in the middle we both grew up together still see him around