Blood Pressure

Had my blood pressure done tonite it was 146/96 at 28 am little worry as i dont what the doc to take my license away. What happens now (took the test for a laugh at the doc while the wife was going for a check up) :cry:

michaeloxley:
Had my blood pressure done tonite it was 146/96 at 28 am little worry as i dont what the doc to take my license away. What happens now (took the test for a laugh at the doc while the wife was going for a check up) :cry:

it’s high but, if I remember right, the figures have to be over 160/100 before the doc has to tell the dvla

the correct figures will be on the dvla website, do a search for "At a glance Medical Rules "

Start by calming the ■■■■ down…Seriously!

Moral of the story, don’t ever go to your own doctor for a medical.

found it !

dft.gov.uk/dvla/medical/ataglance.aspx

Disqualifies from driving if resting BP consistently 180 mm Hg systolic or more and/or 100 mm Hg diastolic or more.

licensing may be permitted when controlled provided that treatment does not cause side effects which may interfere with driving.

Have recently gone through the ‘trauma’ of having too high blood-pressure whilst trying to renew my licence at the age of 50.
I’d recommend that anybody getting close to their medical date starts checking their BP well in advance, so as to get it down if necessary.
I’ve now managed to get mine down to the required level, but I now have to take tablets, apparently for the rest of my life.
My doctor concluded that I suffer from ‘white coat syndrome’, as in the surgery I was getting readings of up to 206/108, yet at home it was down to 160/80 (ish).
It took several visits to my doctor, and the wearing of a 24hr monitor before they accepted the problem.
Fortunately, with the help and understanding of my employer, and the invaluable assistance of my best mate, who actually came off his holiday to cover some of my work, I didn’t lose out financially, but it could so easily have been the case without them. The whole
thing took 8 weeks to get sorted, and I honestly didn’t know if i’d get my licence renewed - that hardly helped the BP!
It’s all given me an almighty kick up the arse to get my health back in to shape. BE WARNED!

gb1:
My doctor concluded that I suffer from ‘white coat syndrome’,

Exactly that, before the doctor even straps that thingy around your upper arm, just say “You might not get an accurate result here, my last doctor said I suffer from something called “white coat syndrome”.”

mine was creeping up , again revealed by a routine check, and several others along with full blood tests, which didn’t reveal anything serious,cholesterol wasn’t even high, but i was a few stone over my ideal weight, and smoked & drunk a fair bit of beer back then, BP 128/96
I took it as a gypsies warning , and stopped smoking,drinking changed my diet cutting out added salt ,sugar in drinks,& fizzy drinks, along with all your fried foods like chips burgers and the rest of it, and started walking more, they also say that allicin found in garlic has benefits for those with high blood pressure,
Within 12mths my blood pressure had dropped to within normal levels and i had lost nearly 2 stone in weight , and even felt better for it and still do

Its really no big deal. My BP was over 160 but my doctor put me on tablets which control it and told /dvla that it was under control. didn’t even have to stop driving. Got a code on my licence, but if you stay on the medication and buy a cheap BP monitor from boots, if it starts to creep up, go back to the docs with a list off your readings over a week, and he will change your medication accordingly.
It also helps to look at your lifestyle, as in cut down on alcohol and stop smoking, try to eat healthy instead of greasy spoon or fast foods, just by cutting out junk food, iI’ve lost 1and half stone (most of which i put on when i stopped smoking)

truckerjon:
Its really no big deal.

Sorry truckerjon, but I have to disagree. With consistently extreme readings, and faced with the possibility of having to give-up a career that I love, it was a very big deal indeed.
Despite the fact that I felt perfectly fine, the doctor has the power to prevent me from working. Although I did my own BP monitoring, it’s the doctors official readings that the DVLA consider, not my own readings.
Again, thankfully things are in order now, but it was a very uncertain time.

Truckerjohn please explain the code on your ticket , I had high BP last medical age55) doc put reading on form and I sent it off, everything else was ok. Got a letter fromd
Dvla they wanted 5 consecutive readings below a certain figure , I didnt have to stop driving or even inform my employer and no mentoin of any code . Enlighten please , thanks Jim

Mine is always high,but im Fat.
Going all 3 month for test.
Last ask me Girl at Station Cafe a few Question.
Where im going what im doing hows going on and so.
Then she started sreeming at my
You idiot musst have high Blood Pressure if you drink 3 double Espresso before you go to the test.
So,well people.Sad but think on it.
No Coffee prior blood Pressure Test :bulb:

Harry Monk:

gb1:
My doctor concluded that I suffer from ‘white coat syndrome’,

Exactly that, before the doctor even straps that thingy around your upper arm, just say “You might not get an accurate result here, my last doctor said I suffer from something called “white coat syndrome”.”

On occasions when mine has read a bit on the high side,ask the doc to take it again,or a third time if necessary,mine would come down every time by quite a bit.
Also,does the doc tell you,don’t cross your legs or talk during the check?
Now I always sit with feet apart,eyes closed and think of nothing.