Blocking merging traffic

thesun.co.uk/motors/1981210 … s-divided/

I’ve seen this a lot mainly with hgvs doing it. What’s your guys take on it?
My view is if two lanes merge into one you make use of all the space available. Yet, people do not do this. They will straddle two lanes or a HGV will give the nod to another HGV to block both lanes and move forward slowly at the same time.
I think anyone doing this should be fined.
Because, quite often it means you got a lot more cars waiting on a motorway or a busy dual carriageway trying to get off it. It is dangerous. Also what if a emergency worker needs to get past?

Unless you are a cop it is not your job to police the road.

It’s totally outrageous to hinder other traffic for any reason such as merging ahead. You should use all the available road until the restriction.

However, it boils my ■■■■ when people continue past the red X and I have tried to hinder them.

I myself have only just realised what merge in turn means and I don’t think the driver in the video has yet the way he says it. I used to think in turn referred to a bend, instead of alternately.

I used to be that van driver but ashley neal educated me

They either straddle and block the lanes
Or drive at the same paste as car opposite even though there nothing infront

On the contrary I merge and turn in my truck and the amount of cars whom don’t let me in … 3 cars not letting me not a problem but everyone block me off and I just force then.

Same on a motorway no red x but sign telling to move over to lane 2 in heavy traffic il use lane 1 and until I see a red x i will then shuffle over

Agreed, we don’t need unofficial police dictating how the roads work, I’ve even seen drivers half in the hard shoulder to stop the people who make wrongful use of it, both are in the wrong as far as I’m concerned.

What you’ve described is a rolling roadblock and drivers can be fined for doing it

The driver of that blue van should have his licence revoked and made to retake the driving test, first he pulls out in a dangerous manner then proceeds to block an empty lane that the car driver had every right to use.

It’s called “merge in turn” not “lets see how long a queue we can form” :unamused:

The blue van driver is 100% in the wrong.

Zac_A:
What you’ve described is a rolling roadblock and drivers can be fined for doing it

Wrong the video shows someone cutting a driver up.

Rolling Road it when you gradually make vehicles slow down

in my 45 years of life i have yet to see a queue caused purely by lanes closed due to road works continue past the last possible second of the merging lanes… it is almost like a line in the road queue for 2 miles cos of the selfish gits that blindly/ wrongly quote the highway code or are simply ignorent and self important reach that magic line traffic flows freely

I don’t do rolling road blocks for 2 miles, but I have no problem with people who do. I understand why someone would.

Having said that, if I’ve queued for 15 mins in stop-start traffic and moved only 1/2 mile in that time, and I’ve reached the cones, and I see someone speeding along from 1/2 mile back, obviously trying to get as far as the possibly can to cut in at the end of the cones, then I’ll pull out to stop them because it boils my blood. But only in those last 50 yards or so.

The funny thing is, when it is a left hand lane closed it’s full of lorries all rushing to the closure point. They only seem to object when it’s a right hand closure.
I agree totally with zip-merging but I don’t agree with people rushing to change lanes so they can jump the queue. The rule should include “stay in lane”.

gardun:
The funny thing is, when it is a left hand lane closed it’s full of lorries all rushing to the closure point. They only seem to object when it’s a right hand closure.
I agree totally with zip-merging but I don’t agree with people rushing to change lanes so they can jump the queue. The rule should include “stay in lane”.

they ignore that sign just as they ignore the 2 miles of signs telling them the lane is closing and they should think about moving over when safe so by the time you get to the red x or closure you are already in the lane and traffic is flowing

adam277:
Unless you are a cop it is not your job to police the road.

In a nutshell…Case rested no further questions.
Too many self appointed traffic marshall’s today ,.and even worse those self righteous ■■■■ s who can not do their own job for monitoring (and reporting :unamused: ) other drivers and their behaviour.
If you want you be a traffic cop, join the ■■■■ Police ! , :bulb:

adam277:
Moment driver pulls out on car & thinks he's a hero - viewers are divided

I’ve seen this a lot mainly with hgvs doing it. What’s your guys take on it?

The Highway Code is clear. Use all open lanes until the merge point then merge in turn.

gardun:
I agree totally with zip-merging but I don’t agree with people rushing to change lanes so they can jump the queue.

But they’re not rushing to jump the queue. They’re correctly using the open lanes to drive down as they’re supposed to. The only people sat in a mile long queue with open empty lanes to their left or right raging at those going past “queue jumping” are morons not fit to hold a licence who don’t understand how zip merging is supposed to work.

cooper1203:
in my 45 years of life i have yet to see a queue caused purely by lanes closed due to road works continue past the last possible second of the merging lanes.

Then clearly you’ve never worked nights. It happens a lot when there’s cars in the mix. If there’s just lorries then we’re bombing through on the limiter. Shove cars in the mix and all hell breaks loose. If they’re not crawling along because being surrounded by cones frightens the crap out of them they’re slowing or even actually coming to a stop in some cases to watch the road planers doing their thing.

Conor:
The Highway Code is clear. Use all open lanes until the merge point then merge in turn.

So where does the highway code say this?

This is a clip from Ashley Neil

youtu.be/ygD43kABiLg?t=68

and I think it is poor driving from him! Surely it is fine to use the available road, but if you see gaps were you can fit in you should.

Instead he barges to the front of the queue, expecting others to slow down so he can push in

Why have signs which lane os closed if your supposed to just carry on in the lane your in up to the point of closure, instead just have a sign saying lane closed a mile ahead or something.

TruckDriverBen:

Zac_A:

Wrong the video shows someone cutting a driver up.

Rolling Road it when you gradually make vehicles slow down

Note where I wrote “what you’ve described…”
I wasn’t interested in looking at the video

stu675:
It’s totally outrageous to hinder other traffic for any reason such as merging ahead. You should use all the available road until the restriction.

However, it boils my ■■■■ when people continue past the red X and I have tried to hinder them.

I myself have only just realised what merge in turn means and I don’t think the driver in the video has yet the way he says it. I used to think in turn referred to a bend, instead of alternately.

If the queue has already been formed - get in the queue. Trying to pass everyone and merge at the cones is jumping the queue. Yes it would be more efficient if both lanes were full but people don’t do it so there you go. Alternatively lane with the queue should stop letting queue jumpers merge in so that a 2nd queue can build up but they won’t. They’ll meekly line up behind and then let everyone who wishes to jump in front do so and then the queuing takes longer. I personally don’t block lanes but I do try to keep my own spot and certainly wouldn’t mind when others do it (but please signal first before pulling out and make sure it’s safe to do it, not like this van driver did) 2nd point the guy with the dash cam should be driving slower when passing the queue for exactly this reason - often vehicles will pull out of the queue and try to gain some distance before re-merging so you can’t just leisurely drive next to a lane of stationary traffic and certainly not bomb ahead at 50mph like a lot of HGVs do

Zac_A:

Just tell the cops you’re protesting fossil fuels and you’ll be fine, or some gender social issue if you want to be 100% safe

Macski:

Conor:

Click here

Rule 134
You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

Colingl:

Macski:

Conor:

Click here

Rule 134
You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed.

Should . . . grey area

Suedehead:

Colingl:

Macski:

Conor:

Click here

Rule 134
You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed.

Should . . . grey area

It says follow the signs not carry on untill there is no miore road then merge.

Merge in turn…how hard can it be?

shullbit:
Merge in turn…how hard can it be?

Bloody impossible for some, obviously.