Blindside reversing

Just a question for you artic drivers, in regards to the reversing do you have a certain technique or a way of doing things, can you adjust the near side mirrors to angle out a bit to see a bit more?

Obviously there’s no substitute for learning on the job, and I guess any reverse without hitting anything Is a plus lol! :grimacing:

I appreciate your comments, cheers

D’B

Sat on bay at Costco crick this morning and watched this guy pull off a abosulute perfect one. Straight in no shunt and no weave. When he 1st lined I said to myself why he Making it so hard as those who know it will there quite a bit of room to get into the waiting bays opposite quite simply.

Well done that man.

I’m ■■■■ the good way never mind the bad way :smiley:

If its a regular blind side on to say a loading bay after time you get to know how and where to position yourself and where and when you need to be turning in or straightening up . If it not a regular one all bets are off . Get out and look as many times as you need to or get another driver/ person in the yard to guide you in. Afraid its just one of those things that experience makes slightly easier . You will always mess it up when someones watching and stick it on the bay first time when theres no one around to see you do it !!

Dan Bear 87:
Just a question for you artic drivers, in regards to the reversing do you have a certain technique or a way of doing things, can you adjust the near side mirrors to angle out a bit to see a bit more?

Obviously there’s no substitute for learning on the job, and I guess any reverse without hitting anything Is a plus lol! :grimacing:

I appreciate your comments, cheers

D’B

There’s no magic guide or technique (sp) . It comes with experience, attention to what you’re doing, familiarisation etc… There’s fellas been doing the job 30 years that can’t even park straight, and others 5 minutes into the job blob on every time. You get out what effort you put in, that simple.

Oh !!! Mirrors ? No you don’t use them, or can’t see out them when blindsiding, hence the name.

DB. I set the nearside blind spot mirror ’ out ’ to help me see. I think this is the most common practice.

A lot of wagons have a nearside glass sleeper window which obviously helps. Supermarket wagons usually have a glass window at the back of the cab which works a treat.

Make sure your nearside passenger window and mirrors are spotlessly clean. Helps hugely in winter.

It helps if u have rear window good n/s mirrors try potition unit same as would good
Side try follow rear tyre slowly open steering a bit at at a time see where u are get out check you all no if u need a shunt to finish move that’s ok

Bay 5 at TJ Morris Liverpool is a buggier for blind siding, especially if the flat beds are loading pallets, but drivers just help each other out with it.

Is that the far one next to the concrete wall? I much prefer that one than the one next to it.

Only ONE unit to watch out for!

eagerbeaver:
Is that the far one next to the concrete wall? I much prefer that one than the one next to it.

Only ONE unit to watch out for!

Agreed mate. Sodding Calor gas guy sat in the corner one day when I was a newbie, watched me take my 20 shunts, then frigged off.

Always worth practicing this manoeuvre especially if you’re parking somewhere with a bit of space where it’s practically impossible to hit anything, this is something I’ve done on and off for years it keeps your eye in for when you need it. Next time you go to an RDC and there’s a bit of room give it a go.

After blindside reversing with an A frame drawbar an artic is a piece of cake. Observation and keep speed down and it’s not a problem. :smiley:

Wait for it…

I’ll go this time make a change from the regulars, but iam guessing he doesn’t have an a frame draw bar so not really much help??

I’m not experienced, only been doing it for a few months. What I’ve found for blind side is to try and not get the unit at such an angle with the trailer where you can literally see nothing. It might be that I can only just about see the smallest corner in the wide angle mirror, but at least it’s not nothing. Or if I do have to get it to that angle i try and take it back off the other way as soon as possible to get some vision back in that mirror.

And the other thing I do when going in blind side is either to not be scared of asking someone in the yard, “excuse me mate can you watch my back for me and give me a shout if I’m about the hit something”, if they look at me weirdly I just tell them that going in from this angle means I can’t see anything at all, or if there’s no one to do that then I keep getting out and looking!

I’m sure a more experienced driver is able to judge it be better, but if you can’t see your still guessing no matter how much experience. Just it might be a better, more educated guess from an experienced driver compared to a newbie like me!

Comes down to practise, so don’t always avoid going in somewhere blindside just because it’s the asker thing to do. If you do that you’ll never get the practise. When somewhere has been quiet I’ve had a few goes blindside, then if I was really struggling I’ve gone and spun it round and done the good side. Might not have got it in blindside but at least I learned something for next time. I had a drop yesterday where I had to reverse in blindside into a yard off the road. No where to spin it round to go in the other way. If I hadn’t had a few goes in the previous months I’d have made a right mess of it. As it happen 3 shunts and I was in with no one watching my back, and not getting out and looking.

Rowley010:
I’m not experienced, only been doing it for a few months. What I’ve found for blind side is to try and not get the unit at such an angle with the trailer where you can literally see nothing. It might be that I can only just about see the smallest corner in the wide angle mirror, but at least it’s not nothing. Or if I do have to get it to that angle i try and take it back off the other way as soon as possible to get some vision back in that mirror.

And the other thing I do when going in blind side is either to not be scared of asking someone in the yard, “excuse me mate can you watch my back for me and give me a shout if I’m about the hit something”, if they look at me weirdly I just tell them that going in from this angle means I can’t see anything at all, or if there’s no one to do that then I keep getting out and looking!

I’m sure a more experienced driver is able to judge it be better, but if you can’t see your still guessing no matter how much experience. Just it might be a better, more educated guess from an experienced driver compared to a newbie like me!

Comes down to practise, so don’t always avoid going in somewhere blindside just because it’s the asker thing to do. If you do that you’ll never get the practise. When somewhere has been quiet I’ve had a few goes blindside, then if I was really struggling I’ve gone and spun it round and done the good side. Might not have got it in blindside but at least I learned something for next time. I had a drop yesterday where I had to reverse in blindside into a yard off the road. No where to spin it round to go in the other way. If I hadn’t had a few goes in the previous months I’d have made a right mess of it. As it happen 3 shunts and I was in with no one watching my back, and not getting out and looking.

I like that Rowley. Top tips for blindside reversing is not go blind. Then it wouldn’t be blindside reversing would it ? IMO its always a case of kiss your arse goodbye and hope for the best based on your experience.

Brianm87:
I’ll go this time make a change from the regulars, but iam guessing he doesn’t have an a frame draw bar so not really much help??

Are you sure Bri ? I’m seeing loads of A bars ? I’ll bet you’re in the UK ? !!! :grimacing:

Ask any Stobrat driver.

Rowley010:

this is exactly what you SHOULD NEVER do !

is he going to fill the insurance forms in when you ■■■■ something ■■

is he going to pay the excess on the claim ■■

is he going to fill in the prang on every job application for the next 5 years ■■

answers : no , no and … no !

i watched some polish dude wave a blindside reversing lorry onto his own tractor unit in milber ind est , newton abbot just a couple of weeks ago . is the pole going to admit liability ? no .

get out and look , as many times as you need , but the minute some fanny starts waving his hands at you ; get out and nut the footer

bald bloke:
Always worth practicing this manoeuvre especially if you’re parking somewhere with a bit of space where it’s practically impossible to hit anything, this is something I’ve done on and off for years it keeps your eye in for when you need it. Next time you go to an RDC and there’s a bit of room give it a go.

+1
Practice, practice, practice. Having bs confidence will get you out of trouble. Don’t see it as the worst option just an option. Embrace it and getting used to your wide angle mirror will help almost as much as a good starting position.

Eventually you will be sliding her into holes you would never have thought possible.

One day you will pull off a bs that even albion would be proud of. But you can guarantee all the drivers in the vicinity will pretend they weren’t watching.

did one at feltham a while back if you know it opposite h & m before the bend used to be small units with cars everywhere so very tight. did it one which surprised me but when i got out there were six guys standing at the loading bay whats going on i ask, we were taking bets on whether you would do it in one as not many drivers can do it. you know the secret i say. err no. adjustable mirrors i say. but it is patience and practise that counts as always.

You know this saying by now.

Don’t be a ****, take a shunt. Get the trailer over, slow and steady. MOVR YOUR Mirror ANGLE. The amount of times I have helped people in and noticed their N’S mirror is nowhere the angle they need it to be to maximise vision.

But get your trailer over and start taking it back. Drive forward. Now you can see. You don’t need to go all the way perfectly and mess around with getting straight. Get the trailer Iver and in shunt forward and take it back. Unless of course forward space is limited. Then I would advise get out. Look where your trailer is. Visualise where it’s going and take it slow with constant getting out and looking. You will soon learn how the trailer will move. Don’t trust anyone.

For me I find getting as straight as possible as soon as possible works. But that’s me. Good luck on your reversing.

1. Move your bloody nearside mirror angle to AID you and don’t forget your wide angle mirror.
  2. don’t be lazy get out and look. It’s not embarrassing. What IS embarrassing is hitting something because you are too lazy to get out and look.
  3. don’t worry about drivers watching you. Anyone sitting there watching you struggle is not worth the time of day. We should help each other out. But people like filming things for their own crappy amusement. Boils my ■■■■. So don’t get flustered. If they are just watching you really struggle think to yourself. Rather be me than him:):slight_smile: Don’t rely on anyone. As has been said. People don’t know left from right and often wave left when they mean right. I never know if they are using direction of trailer or steering.