Blind side reversing

anyone care to explain??

yep,

1)Avoid it whenever possible.

2)take your time.

3)get out and look if your unsure.

4)Avoid it whenever possible.

1. Adjust mirror on n/s out so you can see more of the area.

2. Soon as you can get it on your side the better.

oh and

1. avoid it whenever possible.

:laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yes…

Dont be scared you sissy…Just get on with it…But…

Do all of Bones’s post 1st :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses:

Bones:
yep,

1)Avoid it whenever possible.

2)take your time.

3)get out and look if your unsure.

4)Avoid it whenever possible.

1. Adjust mirror on n/s out so you can see more of the area.

2. Soon as you can get it on your side the better.

oh and

1. avoid it whenever possible.

:laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hope that helps LoL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

easy after years of practice at same drop

Dunno if this helps (probably doesnt hehe) but I think that newbie drivers (myself included) try too often to reverse as if in a car, ie a sort of PARALLEL reverse, but thats too ■■■■ hard 4 me, i always whenever possible try to get the truck almost facing the direction of the reverse, even if it means i cross over the road and block the whole ■■■■ road for a few mins, i would rather do this when blind-siding it, than try anything fancy, i dont care what a numpty i look, at least i get it done in 1, and can see the maximum area possible behind me :slight_smile:

Quite right Steve, always use the available space

one of the most impressive bits of parking i’ve seen was in a layby near Cambridge. There were two parking places left one at the end as you drove in so I could just drive into it which i did and another by the mobile Caf’e which meant a parallel park with the cafe on the nearside. There wasn’t a lot of room and i wouldn’t have even attempted it. The bloke who followed me in Just reversed his artic in with one shunt to straighten it up. Impressed I was.

NJDav:
anyone care to explain??

It means reversing in from the left using your mirrors on the near side stead of the easy side, looking out of drivers open window.

Not easy when your a new driver, Ive been driving artics for a month now & always turn the truck on my good side if i can. If you have to blind side then just take your time, dont let anyone rush you & get out & check if you need to!!
You wont look a prat if you get out to check but youll look a prat if you hit something or someone!!!

am i the only 1 that finds it easy? i Dunno why but when i did my lessons i found blind side easy as and nearside a lil harder… mayb my mind tjst works in weird ways

I may have misunderstood but surely nearside and blindside are the same side.

knight:
I may have misunderstood but surely nearside and blindside are the same side.

Which side is the near side on a LHD ? :smiling_imp:

Not if your abroad it’s not.

Bones:
5) Adjust mirror on n/s out so you can see more of the area.

I will try this next time I am up at the trailer yard

I do it every day in the uk and use the other side in Europe

Most of the advice here is sound, but not best avoided all the time. if the area is not to tight it’s worth having a go to get the practice, so it’s easier when unavoidable in a tight spot. Getting out and having a look is great advice, saves hours of grief and paperwork :confused:

I find some trucks easier than others, I thinks it depends on how far the mirrors stick out.

Like all other difficult manourves in a truck, your best bit of blindside reversing will be when nobody’s looking. :confused: It’s just the way life is!! :laughing:

best thing to do if poss is to turn it round and come in from the other way :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

or get a left ■■■■■■ lol

I did my 1st reversing in anger since passing my test a week last wednesday, and, you guessed it, it was blind side :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Trouble was I couldn’t turn around so i just got on with it.

What with traffic building up both in front & behind, driving a MAN TGA autobox making the unit jump all over the place making me look like a rank amateur, I got the job done with just one shunt and plenty of cab hopping to check I wasn’t going to hit anything. PHEW!

Found out later I could have used the RM position to enable smoother reversing :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

One thing I learnt tho’ , take your time, ignore other road users (unless they have positioned themselves in a stupid place) and CHECK CHECK CHECK even if you have to get out. Nothing worse than feeling the jolt of hitting something solid is there?

the best thing for blind side reversing?electric mirrors