Blind side reversing.

Maybe this should be posted in the newbies section; but since I have had my class 1 licence for about 9 years (only used it on and off for the past 3 years though) it didn’t seem right!
I still break out in a cold sweat if I have to do a blind side reverse, especially if it involves getting on a bay with two nice shiny wagons on either side of it. In 6 years of full time driving I reckon I probably only had to do about 6 blind side reverses. It was only when watching a TNT driver doing exactly what I dread the other day that I thought about posting. He did it with one wee shunt, onto a wheel lock bay no problem. How did he make it look so easy? Is there some secret technique I haven’t been told about?!!
Seriously, I find it quite difficult to judge the position of the back end of my trailer just by keeping an eye on it in the blind spot mirror, and then judging when to bring the unit in line. Especially when lighting is not great.

Practise, ask someone to guide you in. I bet those owners of those shinny new wagons either side would be more than happy to help you not make a mess of their paintwork.

Radar19:
Practise, ask someone to guide you in. I bet those owners of those shinny new wagons either side would be more than happy to help you not make a mess of their paintwork.

That is what I would do; but if it’s Tesco RDC (or most other RDC’s) the poor guys are probably couped up in the drivers “detention room” blissfully unaware that someone is about to re-arrange their paintwork! Although to be fair, I have never been to an RDC where it hasn’t been possible to get spun around somewhere and reverse in on my good side.

Im with you mate. Blind side reverses give me the fear! If I can turn and face the other way to reverse off the “good” side then i’ll do that every time
I always take it as slow as possible till I can shunt forward to be able to see in both mirrors and back in a bit straighter. If that’s not possible then I’ll get out and check my positioning as many times as I feel is neccessery.
As for the TNT driver,he might have had a unit with a back window,which obviously makes the blindside reverse a good bit easier as you can see the end of the trailer without having to use your mirror

Keep a close eye your driver’s side mirror, the angle of the head board to the unit will give you a good idea where your trailers heading. Adjust your electric mirrors on the passenger side to keep an eye on the back of the trailer.

This is an interesting idea, could make your own!

Myself i tend to lean and use my electric passenger mirror as much as i can, if its proper tight i’ll get out take a look.

Nowadays ive got a back window and blind reversing is a piece of ■■■■ just aswell cause just about every other drop is blind.

And remember, your arse isn’t superglued to that seat, even leaning forward and toward your offside mirror every so often will allow you a bit extra sight down the offside and more importantly where the rear offside corner is.

^Ok that mirror idea is pretty cool

alcraw62:
Maybe this should be posted in the newbies section; but since I have had my class 1 licence for about 9 years (only used it on and off for the past 3 years though) it didn’t seem right!
I still break out in a cold sweat if I have to do a blind side reverse, especially if it involves getting on a bay with two nice shiny wagons on either side of it. In 6 years of full time driving I reckon I probably only had to do about 6 blind side reverses. It was only when watching a TNT driver doing exactly what I dread the other day that I thought about posting. He did it with one wee shunt, onto a wheel lock bay no problem. How did he make it look so easy? Is there some secret technique I haven’t been told about?!!
Seriously, I find it quite difficult to judge the position of the back end of my trailer just by keeping an eye on it in the blind spot mirror, and then judging when to bring the unit in line. Especially when lighting is not great.

Two things stand out, first of all did the TNT driver have a rear window fitted in the cab, this above all else makes blind siding actually easier than on your own side in many cases, in any case TNT regulars soon get used to popping in and out of pokey spots, he might have a dozen such blind siders every day.
Oh and don’t get me started on the heros who have rear and side windows and pull the tasselled curtains across them to hide behind.

Secondly, your lack of blind side use is the sole reason its still a problem.
If you have a weakness the only way to beat it is to tackle it head on, in this case make yourself do a blind side every single day, preferably somewhere with no danger of clouting anything, such as the quiet part of a lorry park with marked out spaces, ideal those.
Every day do this, line yourself and reverse into the chosen spot from all angles, it will soon come for when you need it.

Forget the wide angle mirror, it isn’t a wide angle mirror in that sense its a blind spot mirror and should be set up for keeping an eye on the view below the normal mirror sweep, where suicidal cyclists and idiots in cars lurk in their quest to meet their maker soonest.
The wide angle mirror is no good for reversing because its greater convex curve means the back of the trailer has reached so ‘’ far away’’ that unless have eyes like a hawk you won’t see enough.

Presumably you have electric adjustable NS mirror, whilst practicing your blind sides get used to following the track you describe via the mirror, takes a few times to get used to adjusting it the wrong way, but it will come.

Last but not least, spotlessly clean windows mirrors and lights at all times.

Its hard to explain but maybe this helps, obviously crack your mirror as far out as you can, and even bend the arm back if you have to once you start to lose sight.

Like any good reverse your positioning is the main thing here, pay particular note to your pivot point and try and find some sort of reference, if there is none find something, an old pallet, cone, whatever, just something you can see so you can be sure your starting your screw on the correct pivot point, when your happy your on that mark jump out and do a visual, you will have already made a mental plan in your head, make sure your following that plan basically.

One you start screwing it in just ease the corner in, then stop, jump out and go down and take a look to be certain of your clearances and how your plan is going, if you need to jump in and out half a dozen times it doesn’t matter a toss. Now you want start watching the angles between the back of your cab and the headboard of the trailer, this will give you a really good idea “mentally” of how hard your screwed in.

The only other advise I can give is shunt it and use all the room you have available to keep your angles as shallow as possible for minimum risk.

Does any of that make any sense ■■

I have done regular jobs at Snodland Tesco DC, you often have to park while your waiting for a bay at the entrance, this 90% of the time means a “tight’ish” blindy between parked vehicles, even tighter than the bays tbh…there is little more satisfying than a good blindy I reckon, and it does get easier the more relaxed you are, you know you have it licked when you stop getting the sweats :smiley:

And as always said, get help if possible, and jump in and out as many times as you need, you don’t get hero points for wiping another cab out :slight_smile:

A lot of helpful tips there guys, thanks very much. As said, the answer lies with getting in some practice and using the tips given.

My last blind was between a post and a wall . 90 degree

in and out of the cab twenty odd times
Took thirty minutes
Held up traffic
Frustrated

I had to do one yesterday, pssing down with rain, tight yard, poor visibility & 2 motors already in the way,
But I don’t panic anymore, just keep jumping out to have a look,
As said before,
Better to take your time & keep checking than try to be superman & scrape something

Anyone noticed that some lorries now have side & rear windows again ,normally standard low roof sleeper ones .

Never be afraid to ask for help. We have all needed it at some point.

Otherwise you could borrow a left ■■■■■■ unit and that would do!!

I still struggle reversing on the good side :laughing: :laughing: , we have some skelly trailers and the flipping axles seem to twist yet the box looks ok or vias versa :laughing: :laughing: feel a right prick with other drivers watching :laughing: but get there in the end

Make sure your wide angle mirrors are in the right position to start with… I actually cant see any trailer in mine when I’m going forward normally…
Don’t watch the back end of the trailer as such, watch the bottom of the tyres and the imaginary line where your wheels should be going…
Practice…even when you don’t need to blind side, If there’s a good space, do it anyway… Tibshelf services s/b is a good one for this…
Ask for help…
Get out and look…

Your right about Tibshelf services I stopped there once not long after I had passed my test took one look at the gap with nice trucks either side looked at the trailer and went and parked at the top of the slip road, at least it was easy to get out. Before all the smart arses start yes I know it’s illegal.
Like the others have said practice, get out and look and take your time. It’s some thing I have to do quite often, though I don’t often do it well I get by.

Practice when you get back to the yard choose a spot then try and blind it in take your time get out if you have too, better to practice there than at a customers coz its sods law the tighter the reverse the more people are watching :smiley:

As said put your nearside mirror far out as you can the more you see the better.

Jeff.

Knight2 doing it well will come in time doing it right and hitting nowt is what its about not how quick its done .

Just in general;

if you have loads of space then you will ■■■■ it up

if thers is little space then there is no room for error and you get it right.

Give me a small yard everytime or else big yellow/white lines.

I took my lessons with Sammy Jones and after work he let us (me and another trainee) practise by shunting the trailers in the yard. Hard but good experience.

I have only had my class 1 a few months but i was a shunter for nearly 2yrs before. I find its all about practice, when you go into motorway services during the day instead of parking in the easiest place you can find try a blind side into a space with an empty spot next to it for error. Sometimes i screw it up trying something elaborate and no doubt other drivers in their cabs are thinking “Why didn’t he just stick it in that easy spot?” but it is nice when outside a customers premises and you get it in the right spot first time.