Blind reversing

As a newbie with only 18 months driving under my belt I want to ask this question, how in the name of God do you do this :neutral_face:
Luckily enough I’ve never been in a situation where I need to do a blind reverse whilst out on a job, I have messed about In the yard when shunting but end up all over the place, so is there a nack to it or do I just need to give it time and experience to get the feel of what the trailer is doing, I know there is going to come a time when I’m going to have to do it, don’t want to be sitting there saying " nope, it’s not happening mate" :laughing:

Kermit1888:
As a newbie with only 18 months driving under my belt I want to ask this question, how in the name of God do you do this :neutral_face:
Luckily enough I’ve never been in a situation where I need to do a blind reverse whilst out on a job, I have messed about In the yard when shunting but end up all over the place, so is there a nack to it or do I just need to give it time and experience to get the feel of what the trailer is doing, I know there is going to come a time when I’m going to have to do it, don’t want to be sitting there saying " nope, it’s not happening mate" :laughing:

It will come to you just keep trying to do it when in the yard takes time and practice.

Alot of the stores I deliver to are blindside reverses unfortunately. In honesty it’s luck,you have good days where it goes round and in first time and then bad days where you just can’t get it right. Same as others get your start position right and your half way there. Use your electric mirror and blind spot mirror to get as best view as possible, I’ll stop and lean over to check position and I’ll get out as well. A window in back of cab really helps. Don’t oversteer it’s easier to put extra on than take off. Finally don’t put pressure on yourself if you need to take 4 or 5 shunts take them, better to get it right eventually than risk a bad position and cause damage. There was 2 of us at a store last night that was blindside. We both said it varies how well we do. Shop workers said some drivers take 8 or more shunts.

i did my first real life blind side reverse today. gave myself the best possible chance with the setup and as mentioned above, just put a gentle turn on it and then took a couple of shunts when i was most of the way round to put it on my good side. i was panicking the whole way to the store when i found out where i was going! i basically set it up with a decent jacknife to start knowing that that in itself would be enough to take me round the gates and the only steering id do would be to bring the unit straight.

i guess every reverse being different that i might not get away with doing that every time.

I’ve only just managed to get to the level of basic competency with the ‘normal’ reverse, the thought of blind-siding scares the crap out of me :laughing: When given the opportunity and plenty of space I do attempted to do blind sides but on each occasion I end up with no idea what the trailer is doing and straighten up ASAP so I can get it back in view - Looking forwards to reading the tips! :smiley:

pepsifarr:
Alot of the stores I deliver to are blindside reverses unfortunately. In honesty it’s luck,you have good days where it goes round and in first time and then bad days where you just can’t get it right. Same as others get your start position right and your half way there. Use your electric mirror and blind spot mirror to get as best view as possible, I’ll stop and lean over to check position and I’ll get out as well. A window in back of cab really helps. Don’t oversteer it’s easier to put extra on than take off. Finally don’t put pressure on yourself if you need to take 4 or 5 shunts take them, better to get it right eventually than risk a bad position and cause damage. There was 2 of us at a store last night that was blindside. We both said it varies how well we do. Shop workers said some drivers take 8 or more shunts.

The above!

But I’m struggling to see how you have gone this long without one! :open_mouth:
You basically get out the cab every 6 feet and have a look… :grimacing:
I’m also hoping I’ll get better! :laughing:

Practise helps as in getting used to how the trailer turns with what lock you put on . Also as you pull up survey the area so you can see what position you need to be in for your reverse . Getting out to check is a must if in doubt .

Powered adjustable mirrors are a god send if used correctly :wink:

nick2008:
Powered adjustable mirrors are a god send if used correctly :wink:

This ^^^^^ don’t rush either will bite you on the bum in no time,it’s not your test so get out many times as you like and if it takes a few shunts so what? As long as you don’t hit nowt then it’s a winner and never worry about holding traffic up its your job and your truck not theirs,had to blind it into a loading bay in Lancaster last week (church street st Nicholas arcade) it’s tight with posts opposite but took 1 shunt ( :blush: ) and held cars up but that’s the way it is can’t be helped.

To achieve your GOAL you need to Get Out And Look.

Don’t be scared to get out and have a look if you’re in a tricky situation. Rather get out and shunt multiple times than hit something.

Always make sure your blind spot mirrors are set for maximum coverage. The vast majority of drivers do not bother adjusting these at the beginning of their shifts and they can really help when blind siding.

Moving your mirrors, and not being afraid to get out are some of the best bits of advice I’ve seen on here. I not particularly good at blind siding but I’m so much better since I moved the mirrors.

Unless you pull the same trailer day in day out you will never be perfect at it. All trailers react differently. Watch any driver and I guarantee 99% will struggle

We do a blind side nearly every day with a double decker i must get out and have a look 5 or 6 times

We do a lot of farm work and its different every time…the best advice ive seen here is…

1. Take your time
  2. Get out and have a look
  3. Dont worry how many shunts it takes.

I am sometimes on a farm in the dark having to blind side around a barn when all you can see behind is the security light shining in your mirrors, theres a farmer wearing dark clothes shouting incoherent noises that he thinks are helping, a mangy mutt of a sheepdog trying to bite the tyres and the ground is on a bank 6 inches deep in cowshit. Somehow I get it round without hitting anything…then the following day im at Aldi reversing straight back between 2 yellow lines in broad daylight and I ■■■■ it up !

Just take your time and dont lose your cool and it wil come to you eventually…the more you practice the more confident you will get.

toowise:
We do a lot of farm work and its different every time…the best advice ive seen here is…

1. Take your time
  2. Get out and have a look
  3. Dont worry how many shunts it takes.

Just take your time and dont lose your cool and it wil come to you eventually…the more you practice the more confident you will get.

+1 to that
and as soon as you feel confident,that when you wont take 5 shunts or get out and look,then wonder why to took the side out of someones cab or trailer…nothing wrong in leaving the passenger window open and diving across for a peek…

Watch the trailer headboard in relation to the unit and the road once you have lost the trailer out of the mirror, that way you are less likely to overcook!

Zanfta:
Watch the trailer headboard in relation to the unit and the road once you have lost the trailer out of the mirror, that way you are less likely to overcook!

+1

I do this too :smiley:

Just like any other reverse. Plan in your head what you’re going to do. Line everything up properly. Take it easy (no prizes for being speedy gonzales). If in doubt, get out (and check). Even if not in doubt, no harm in getting out (to check). No shame in shunting.

I’m newish too mate, Been driving Artics on and off for 18 months now and I’m Lucky enough(well thats my view) to have been put into awkward situations where I have no choice but to blindside.

My advice to you would be to take every opportunity to try it out, I find motorway services were a good training ground for me.
Some tips I would give are;

1. Keep your speed to a crawl, do not let the incline take you for a ride.
  2. Small turns are your friend
  3. Don’t get over confident, you will screw it up more often than not. We all do.

Most importantly, remember that every attempt that you make is a learning curve and everyday is another days experience.
Believe in yourself, you will get there.

Good Luck and happy Truckin’

Feels as though every drop I’ve done this week has been blind side :cry: I don’t even bother stressing about it anymore, it’s all good practice at the end of the day! Had one today in Flint, trust me to get there when everyone is outside at the gate having a smoke, just remember to take your time and don’t worry about anyone else, as others have said get out and have a look if you’re unsure