Blind reversing on assesment

mmm :unamused: had a assesment today 6 of us ,class 1 for a large supermarket. 1st thing was a reverse on bay, you get 2 goes if you fail its bye bye! really felt the pressure, i did it , then did the blind reverse on to a park up bay, i did that had to shunt on all the reversing tasks, i found the blind reverse really difficult , we was never taught that at training! anyhow myself an another guy passed after a road test, and was offered a job! great!!! only thing i was told that lots of their shops they deliver to are really tight an a lot are blind reverses!! this has put me off a bit as i know as a newbie i need to be able to do this but seems a bit daunting, i have another assesment next week with another supermarket so i will try to pass that an see what i think, how do you experienced guys cope with blind reversing? or have i just lost my bottle! i did it today but will i get more confident or dread them forever!

I used to cope with blind reversing by not being afraid to get out of the cab and have a look if needs be!

It’s not so bad - after a while you get a feel for how the trailer is going - but if in doubt - get out :wink:

Remember also that once you are on the job you can take an extra shunt or two without failing anything :smiley:

Good luck with the new job!

blindside reversing used to scare the **** outta me too.

but as has been said alraedy don’t be afriad to get out and look (GOAL)

or to ask someone to watch you back.

i found the blindsiding into spaces where there was pleanty of space when i didn’t have to, helped get the technique down, and if it all turned pear shaped, i could just swing it round and reverse in on the right side.

bigest thing is to get out and look, better to get out the cab twice than do 2 grands worth of damage.

best of luck

yes thanx! top tip, they never said i could get out on the assessment :open_mouth: , i think it wouldve helped vastly as i would be exactly sure of the position and end of the trailer, i will remember that tip, and i am glad i am not the only one that this manouvre has worried. :blush:

Some good advice here, take your time, GOAL, and don’t worry about how many shunts you take.
I’ve been working for Somerfield out of Lea Green for the last couple of weeks and there are a lot of stores where you have to blind side reverse off the main road in between parked cars to get on the bay scary
It does get easier the more you do it