Bleak winter coming for Fedex?

If they are prepared to send drivers home on gardening leave again at what used to be the busiest weeks of the year, driver demand wise, then are we facing a Christmas like no other in living memory over here in Blighty? :open_mouth: :question:

Jobs for ā€œfull timeā€ seem to be abundant right now, but not the ones nailing down the best net hourly rates, which one still has to go to agency to get.

Dunno what it is like around the rest of the country thoughā€¦

What say youz lot?

USA only ?

Fed Ex, purchased TNT over here in Australia, the place where it all began for TNT, rumour has it they are buying chep also, an Aussie company.

Dav1d:
USA only ?

Winseer is linking Fox News again then. Makes a change from Russia Today, or some of his other ā€œsourcesā€ā€¦

Itā€™s completly dead at the moment. We get about 4 drivers in our yard looking for jobs. Agencies canā€™t get work for drivers. Most of my mates who are Ltd are at home

discoman:
Fed Ex, purchased TNT over here in Australia, the place where it all began for TNT, rumour has it they are buying chep also, an Aussie company.

Fed ex bought TNTā€™s global operation.

Interesting that they want to buy chep? Again I presume chep global?

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Yes itā€™s very quiet .
We get paid for 48 hours minimum but usually do about 53-59 & 1 or 2 nights out a week .
Last month barely doing 40 hours and no nights out . Hopefully can just keep our heads down and hope this situation all blows over .
Donā€™t know how it will though .
Where did it all start to go wrong ,
Dare I say Brex???it

When Fed Ex were in the UK 30 years ago, they pulled out due to saturation of the market. I used to work for them at the time.

They then came back a few years ago, buying ANC, and all seemed rosy, but that is clearly not the case. I suppose it is even worse now Amazon are sweeping everything up in the parcels market, as they even do 3rd party stuff as a fledgling parcel company I used to work for until last year, used Amazon to deliver their parcels as they could do it for next to nothing.

Kenā€¦

Happy Trucker1:
Yes itā€™s very quiet .
We get paid for 48 hours minimum but usually do about 53-59 & 1 or 2 nights out a week .
Last month barely doing 40 hours and no nights out . Hopefully can just keep our heads down and hope this situation all blows over .
Donā€™t know how it will though .
Where did it all start to go wrong ,
Dare I say Brex???it

Unfortunately some of this parish are against even mentioningā€¦the ā€œBā€ word!

Even the Governor of the BoE, Andrew Bailey seems banned from mentioning it by name. Insanity.

However there is a nice piece by Moorhouse about all of ā€œthis stuffā€. So, as not outrage the poor wee souls who still have their heads firmly buried in the sand, I will put up a link on the ****** thread, in Bully`s :smiley:

I thought there was a driver shortage ?

fuse:

When the excess numbers of toilet rolls stocked-up on, in early 2020 eventually run outā€¦they`ll be begging us to come back and deliver some more!

When we get our massive new export orders, from our brilliant new Free Trade Agreement with the USAā€¦errrrā€¦Ausā€¦NZā€¦ errā€¦somewhereā€¦maybeā€¦soonā€¦ they`ll be begging us to drive those goods from our booming new factoriesā€¦errrā€¦ down to the docks!

Oh well, thank Ford for wordle.

Franglais, i really have no interest in bloody Brexit (which never really happened) debate, the destruction of our manufacturing industry has been going on since the 70ā€™s, about the time we joind the common market as it happens.

The uniparty, whether it was the fake labour party or the fake conservatives have all been equally to blameā€¦i put more blame on the tories because well theyā€™re supposed to conserve things, something they have failed utterly to do.
You same as me have been at the truck wheel since the 70ā€™s, we watched shocked and demoralised as every week weā€™d drive the roads and each week as we passed by weā€™d see yet another factory shutting up shop, weā€™d go by again a few months later and in its stead was a leisure centre a shopping cenetre or rows of identical houses/flats, no place to work no means of making anything to sell to bring in outside money.

Not one sod in the houses of ill repute was in the least bothered about any of this, many of them becoming millionaires or multi millionaires whilst drawing salaries of under Ā£100k (plus exā€™s kerching), bloody good at making themselves rich but not much idea of how to apply that to their country which they care little or nothing for.

Manufacturing was outsourced and in its place we had the alleged service and financial industries.
Service industries basically means companies offering services to each other and with each transaction the govt takes some tax, nothing sold outside the country so money brought in.
Try running a house where no one goes out to work, no one sells their labour outside so no money is incoming, each member of the house pays the other for their work/service and the house takes tax off each transactionā€¦how long do you reckon before the bailiffs arrive to evict you unless the house members borrow every year to keep the whole ponzi scheme going?

Its not really much different to running a country like that isnā€™t that waht weā€™ve been doing (as well as allowing more people to move in many of whom never contributed money or service and never will, this is the elephant in the room that has broken the country), just look at the national debt and how its increased since the 70ā€™s, now some unfathonable number somewhere near Ā£2.5 trillion without counting the pension bottomless pit.

Bleak winter for FedEx? anyone awake must have realised by now weā€™ve gone round the U bend and heading rapidly down to the sewers, the future is bleak for all people who work normal jobs for a living, the celeb lifestyle so many have been living on cheap credit having it all now believing they were a bit too good for this hard work lark has finally hit the buffers, its all over bar the tears shouting finger pointing and blame shifting.

Franglais:

fuse:

When the excess numbers of toilet rolls stocked-up on, in early 2020 eventually run outā€¦they`ll be begging us to come back and deliver some more!

When we get our massive new export orders, from our brilliant new Free Trade Agreement with the USAā€¦errrrā€¦Ausā€¦NZā€¦ errā€¦somewhereā€¦maybeā€¦soonā€¦ they`ll be begging us to drive those goods from our booming new factoriesā€¦errrā€¦ down to the docks!

Only Franglais could bring his Brexit bitterness into a thread that wasnā€™t Brexit related from the OP.

tmcassett:
Only Franglais could bring his Brexit bitterness into a thread that wasnā€™t Brexit related from the OP.

The eu is relevant, in that it is eu expansion into eastern Europe is entirely and totally to blame for the war in Ukraine which is much of the cause of the present economic situation here.

tmcassett:

Franglais:

fuse:

Ignoring the biggest financial event in the UK for decades when discussing business is burying your head in the sand so deep you`re gonna be stamped on by kangaroos.

Brexit is a fact. It`s effects are wide spread and profound.

Ed to add. And it was Happy Trucker who first mentioned the ā€œBā€ word. Quite rightly as it is relevant despite some wanting to ignore the elephant in the room.

Harry Monk:

tmcassett:

The eu is relevant, in that it is eu expansion into eastern Europe is entirely and totally to blame for the war in Ukraine which is much of the cause of the present economic situation here.

A truly pathetic defense of Putin`s invasion of a free independent country.

Franglais:

Iā€™m not defending it, but unlike you I understand why it has happened. In fact, I was predicting for several years before it happened that it would happen.

Harry Monk:

Franglais:

Iā€™m not defending it, but unlike you I understand why it has happened. In fact, I was predicting for several years before it happened that it would happen.

Putin objects to the people of Ukraine having a free choice about what they do.
He wants to tell them who they can and can`t do business, or form alliances, with.

The EU isn`t pushing itself into eastern European countries.
The ex Commie-Bloc were trying to join ASAP.

Harry Monk:
it is eu expansion into eastern Europe

Is loaded language. It isn`t a planned takeover, it is independent countries making a free choice to want to join.

Harry Monk:
Iā€™m not defending it

Harry Monk:
eu expansion into eastern Europe is entirely and totally to blame for the war

I repeat that is a pathetic attempt to defend Putin and shift the blame to the EU.

Franglais:

So if the people of Ukraine have a free choice about what they do, why was their democratically elected President deposed in a US-backed coup?

Harry Monk:

Franglais:

So if the people of Ukraine have a free choice about what they do, why was their democratically elected President deposed in a US-backed coup?

A half truth. Or less than half.
Yanukovych was constitutionally elected, and then constitutionally deposed.
He was voted out by the Ukrainian Parliament.
This happened after he did a sudden U-turn on his country`s growing towards the west, which the population supported, and him turning to Putin, which the majority did not want. Hence the unrest.
He was pushed out by the majority of the Ukranians after he changed the way the country was going. After his election he tried to go against the platform he stood on.
After he was legally deposed he appealed to a foreign Gov for help, the Russians.
He tried to be an ā€œelected dictatorā€ (sound familiar?) who now lives in Russiaā€¦

None of which, is in any way, a reason to blame anyone except Putin for the current war.