Blackwall Tunnel

Hi all, I’m sure this has been asked countless times before so I am sorry.

I plan on going through blackwall tunnel northbound today in a 26t rigid that is 12ft 7" high. Now I know the height restriction is 13ft and some even say 13ft 3" but, based on your experiences, would you say it is a safe option to go through there I’m this vehicle?

Also heard nightmare stories about the back end swing being tight when turning the kinks, and you need to use 2 lanes.

It’s either that, or carry on for Dartford tunnel.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Its 13 ft and its not as bad on the bends if i remember rightly its only 1 bend thats a bit iffy but not that bad just time it right

Imperialtruck:
Hi all, I’m sure this has been asked countless times before so I am sorry.

I plan on going through blackwall tunnel northbound today in a 26t rigid that is 12ft 7" high. Now I know the height restriction is 13ft and some even say 13ft 3" but, based on your experiences, would you say it is a safe option to go through there I’m this vehicle?

Also heard nightmare stories about the back end swing being tight when turning the kinks, and you need to use 2 lanes.

It’s either that, or carry on for Dartford tunnel.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

No problem just take it wide on the bends. People that use the tunnel regularly will normally hold back for you at the bends.

No prob goin thru Blackwall first bend is the worst
Little trick out yr right hand indicatet on bt 500 m from bend cars will generally hold back move into centre go round bend move back over its a ■■■■ of ■■■■

Yeah, just stick on your indicator for the bends, helps discourage people having a go that particular moment.
Not too bad mate you will be fine

Go on Woolich ferry … get the “duty frees” :wink:

The Rustler:
Go on Woolich ferry … get the “duty frees” :wink:

they was sold out last time I went on that :wink: :wink:

I’ve been through at 18t 12’10" no problem.

TRIVIA ALERT. The bends were put in deliberately so that horses wouldn’t bolt all the way down the tunnel to get to the light at the end. Different times.

safe as houses m8 also if u was to high they have a warning sensor that diverts u off on overhead gantry :smiley:

Hiya i went to Westminster ind estate one Friday night(1985)for a load of paper for Pontifract.
i had a 2100 4 wheeler DAF that was 13ft 6 unloaded. i measured the gap from the bumper to the ground
(with a stick)that night i just wasn’t up to the Ferry so i decided i go through the tunnel.(it was marked
at 13ft4 in those days)i knew i,d come down on the springs 5 inches loading . yes i made it through the
tunnel…wow the things you remember from years ago. about a month after a chap with the sister lorry
had seen me come out of the tunnel that night tried to do the same. he damaged all the roof and got
fined for going past the overheight sign.
John

If it’s marked 13’ and you bash it in a 12’7" vehicle then they haven’t got a leg to stand on and you could probably sue for the trauma caused from denting your truck. Just make sure you are in the left lane otherwise you will be making a jangly bumpy rhythm from the posts that hang down from the roof!

Dunno how long your wagon is, but the bends are quite tight if someone is trying to overtake you on one of the bends and they are close to the white line. I’ve noticed lots of drivers cut over the white line to take a bend. If you can’t get round a bend without crossing the white line then you’re going too fast.

Is it wrong to laugh at a professional driver who gets stopped trying to take an overheight truck through the tunnels? All those warning signs with the relevant heights on are a bit of a giveaway.

if they decided if it was 4m, 13’ 1 or 13’3 it might help the euro chaps from going for it