Blacklist

Is it illegal for a company to blacklist you, i.e for employment directly for the company, or via an agency to work for that company, FOR LIFE, on the grounds that you once worked for them, and/or the company that held the contract before them.

Input greatly appreciated.

Those are the sole grounds for refusal.

Blunder Man:
Is it illegal for a company to blacklist you, i.e for employment directly for the company, or via an agency to work for that company, FOR LIFE, on the grounds that you once worked for them, and/or the company that held the contract before them.

Input greatly appreciated.

Those are the sole grounds for refusal.

It’s done at our place if you leave you can’t go back should imagine is the same for going in on the agency, However don’t know the legality of it as like many other establishments rules are made up/changed as they see fit – we do have a reasonably high turnover of staff

You could try phoning your local ACAS, they should be able to help.

I remember watching a programme on TV about similar in the building industry.
Can’t remember if it was illegal but all the companies were trying very hard to hide the blacklist so I guess it was illegal.
I would imagine it depends a lot on why you are on a blacklist. i.e. poor worker, accident prone etc or maybe active union member which may have a bearing.
Definately worth seeking proper advice but difficult to see how you could enforce any laws if the blacklist is illegal.
Maybe some compo if it is and you have proof that this is only reason you were refused employment.

It depends on the scope of what the OP means by “Blacklist”

If its intended to cover only 1 company and any of its opperating centres, then I don`t see a problem with it. As previously stated theres usually a reason for a company banning you from working on its sites.

However is the company puts you on a blacklist that can be used by other companies, then AFAIK thats illegal.

If its the latter, seek legal advice.
If its the former, swallow your pride, forget it, move on … as you probably know why you where banned

peirre:
It depends on the scope of what the OP means by “Blacklist”

If its intended to cover only 1 company and any of its opperating centres, then I don`t see a problem with it. As previously stated theres usually a reason for a company banning you from working on its sites.

However is the company puts you on a blacklist that can be used by other companies, then AFAIK thats illegal.

If its the latter, seek legal advice.
If its the former, swallow your pride, forget it, move on … as you probably know why you where banned

like he said.
there was a recent court case where it was found building contractors was black listing people because there was members of trade unions (i think) this was found to be illegal and some bug fines got handed out.

For one company to do it there is nothing wrong with it. After all if you smashed a vehicle up, and then left without notice or after calling the TM a ■■■■ then why would they want you back.

As stated the sole reason for the blacklist, is that you have worked for the company and left, no other reason, no crashes/theft/point’s etc.

Just that you have worked for them and left.

its not illegal for 1 company to blacklist you,its there choice who they have employed and who they re-employ.
however it is illegal for a group of company’s to have a blacklist,as stated before there was a group of well
known national builders mainly in the road/arena game who got caught a few years ago and were fined.
i know this as my misses works for 1 of the companys involved and they ■■■■ them selves when it happend as
the company was in the running for a gov contract,by the way they still got the job so what does that say ■■

The off shore workers used to live in fear of being “beached”. The words were Not Wanted Back. known as NWB .

it is illegal to give a bad reference. so to blacklist someone would be a bad reference. therefore it is illegal.

however, it shouldn’t be. if you are no good at your job, then compamies need to know.

limeyphil:
it is illegal to give a bad reference. so to blacklist someone would be a bad reference. therefore it is illegal.

however, it shouldn’t be. if you are no good at your job, then compamies need to know.

illegal for a bad reference may be but not illegal to give a truthfull reference?

Cruise Control:

limeyphil:

illegal for a bad reference may be but not illegal to give a truthfull reference?

all you can legally do, is give a good reference, or refuse to give a reference. so you can only give a truthful reference , if it’s a good truth.