Black plastic header tank / expansion bottles

We have a few Daf lf’s for our rigid fleet and they seem to have adopted black plastic bottles for the coolant, today have a Man for the first time in about 5 years and this also has gone black plastic. Is the coolant level just a dash warning when low now or are you meant to look for a level inside the tank from the filler cap?

The coolant level warning is now just a dash warning. You get two levels of warning, a top up yellow one and a red stop once it gets very low. You can see the level from inside the filler cap but if your fleet is like ours and double shifted often they don’t get cool enough between being parked up and the next driver taking over to be able to take the filler cap off without hot coolant spewing out.

We have had a few issues with DAF electrics where they’ve randomly gone from OK to straight to stop because of a sensor/wiring malfunction.

Thanks, it’s good to know that there is a warning before a critical situation.

I took a 73 plate DAF out in the rain on Sunday and after an hour it had an ‘emission control system failure’ for a good while before deciding all was indeed fine.

question is is it like the oil level on the mercs that just tells you to add oil no dipstick so you have no idea how much is in the bloody thing and if it is overfilled says the same thing

I think my Merc always used to say how many gallons of oil were required! :scream: