Bizarre tacho error

I finished work before annual leave on 14th October at 01:15 having taken my card out at 01:04. When I restarted on 3rd November at 12:00 I duly put a manual entry in from 01:05 to 01:15 for the 14th October, rest until 12:00 on the 3rd and a manual entry in for the hour or so before getting in the truck.

The 14th October had been a long shift 14:15 and I didn’t think anymore about it till I downloaded my card the next day. I had got an infringement for insufficient daily rest? Ugh??

Then it dawned upon me. I was the victim of the hour change as on the 27th October the clocks had gone back. So when the last entry was showing on my card it was 01:04 BST so naturally I did an 11 minute manual entry for other work.

However the tacho was now set to UTC so it assumed I had finished at 02:15 a fifteen and a quarter hour working day!

How the hell do you resolve that one? I couldn’t enter as a manual entry a time one hour earlier than that showing so I don’t know what you are meant to do there other than reset the tacho to BST then reset it back again but you’d screw up your current day then. Don’t get it.

Of course had my shift not been so long it wouldn’t have mattered. Strange.

Unfortunately I work for a company that seems not to abide by the DoT rules on print outs which means any infringement is deemed almost sackable because they can’t be bothered to look at what happened against what is recorded so God knows what’ll happen now.

Dont worry about that one. You can argue it. Everytime you go on holiday make sure you close your day. I find it easier than doing a manual entry. Goin the office hand in all paperwork then take card out head for home.

I thought clocks changed at 2am ?in which case you shpuld.of been fine.
But don’t worry. Explain it and if the decide to get all picky with you just let them get stressed about it
.what they say goes in one ear out the other.

I’d suggest it was actually operator error rather than anything the tacho did - all tacho entries are recorded in UTC, regardless of the clocks changing between BST and GMT.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

get a new job jump before your pushed

Roymondo:
I’d suggest it was actually operator error rather than anything the tacho did - all tacho entries are recorded in UTC, regardless of the clocks changing between BST and GMT.

correct

robthedog:

Roymondo:

correct

Erm, incorrect actually.

Obviously any manual entries by driver are in local time, otherwise what’s the point of local time? The system time is UTC, which I suspect is what you meant.

The OP has answered his own question. While he was on holiday, the clocks went back 1 hour, and someone changed the local time on the tacho to reflect this change. Therefore, when the OP came back to work and did his manual entry to update his finish time of last shift, the times he entered are now going to be 1 hour ahead of reality (for the 14th October). In most cases this won’t matter (for example, if you are saying that you were on rest since last card eject).

Now, the OP went on holiday, so why did he get insufficient daily rest, if he went on holiday? Because he stopped work at 00:04 UTC (01:04 BST) on 14th OCT, but on coming back to work has made a manual entry to say he worked 11 minutes (inclusive) from 01:05 UTC to 01:15 UTC. So there is a missing 1 hour period (from 00:04 UTC to 01:04 UTC) which was unaccounted for. The tacho in this situation would have assumed a rest period, but it’s not long enough to be a daily rest. So his digital chart will show that he has worked 14 hours and 15 minutes, then had a daily rest of only 1 hour, then worked another 11 minutes.

Someone else mentioned that the clocks change at 2am but that is irrelevant. The tacho local time was not updated at 2am. It was updated while the OP was on holiday.

There must be an increase in infringements when the clocks go back, surely?

I suppose the obvious question (to me anyway) is “Why on earth would anyone bother to do a manual entry for ten minutes of handing in paperwork or whatever that happened three weeks ago?”

One of the many reasons not to bother your arse with manual ■■■■ entries, I’ve never ever done one and I ain’t been lifted by the SWAT team yet.
Also if the firm is so strict and up their own arse enough to sack you at the drop of a hat as you state, (obviously ran by non transport pointy shoes) that’s an even better reason to f. them off.
Just saying.

What showed as 01:05 on the 14th was actually 12:05 Greenwich (or UTC). Mostly likely a manual entry was entered from 12:05 to 01:15. Easy mistake to make.
It is an incorrect record (in genuine error) rather than an infringement.

Stress free week here ,tachohead packed up friday last ,I took it in on Monday the ribbon has broken it’s under warranty though :smiley: ,it’s taken all week for one to arrive from the 1990s :laughing: ,like I say a stress free week :blush:

Punchy Dan:
Stress free week here ,tachohead packed up friday last ,I took it in on Monday the ribbon has broken it’s under warranty though :smiley: ,it’s taken all week for one to arrive from the 1990s [emoji38] ,like I say a stress free week :blush:

Excellent news then:
You can get the spring wound up while it’s out.
[emoji5]

Roymondo:

Sorry pal you are wrong there. The top line of the tacho will (as I presume you know) display the end of the last entry. It displayed as 01:04 therefore how could I have put in 00:15 as a time? I certainly didn’t put in 02:15.

I have since contacted Tachomaster and they have received another incidence of the same thing.

The only thing I think you could have done was on entering the vehicle alter the tacho to BST do your manual entry for the day of the last shift and stop the manual entry an hour before you started work post the clock change. Eject the card, reset the tacho to UTC and do another manual entry. But hey then you’d be guilty of taking your card out mid shift!!

Harry Monk:
I suppose the obvious question (to me anyway) is “Why on earth would anyone bother to do a manual entry for ten minutes of handing in paperwork or whatever that happened three weeks ago?”

Harry, I do Agency and yes I have seen them argue about ‘minutes’.

Sand Fisher:

Roymondo:

Sorry pal you are wrong there. The top line of the tacho will (as I presume you know) display the end of the last entry. It displayed as 01:04 therefore how could I have put in 00:15 as a time? I certainly didn’t put in 02:15.

I have since contacted Tachomaster and they have received another incidence of the same thing.

The only thing I think you could have done was on entering the vehicle alter the tacho to BST do your manual entry for the day of the last shift and stop the manual entry an hour before you started work post the clock change. Eject the card, reset the tacho to UTC and do another manual entry. But hey then you’d be guilty of taking your card out mid shift!!

UTC doesn’t change at all. You could set the local time to as many hours away from UTC as you desire but the master time reference will always be in UTC.

Take a printout in local time and at the top it will say “no legal printout” or something like that.

toonsy:

Sand Fisher:

Roymondo:

UTC doesn’t change at all. You could set the local time to as many hours away from UTC as you desire but the master time reference will always be in UTC.

Take a printout in local time and at the top it will say “no legal printout” or something like that.

I agree but if you do a manual entry and the tacho is in BST it will display in BST and that’s all we have. So when you do a manual entry it is displaying in displayed time not UTC (unless you have set it to that). The print out for the 14th (I always do one is in UTC) but your entries are in displayed time not UTC.

Sand Fisher:

Roymondo:

“Guilty of taking your card out mid shift!!”
That’s a new one to me.

Sand Fisher:

Roymondo:

I’m sure you will maintain that it did display as 01:04, but the reality is that it doesn’t work that way. All times (including your withdrawal time of 01:04 BST) are recorded on the card in UTC (in your case 00:04). When you insert your card, the tachograph has no way of knowing what local time was in use when the record was made (and why should it? - everything is recorded in UTC). It reads the time from the card in UTC (in your case 00:04) but displays it offset to whatever local time has now been set on the head unit. In your case, as the head unit had in the intervening weeks had its local time set to UTC, it would have displayed 00:04 on 14th Oct as the last withdrawal. That’s the way these things work - “pal”.