Bit of Red Drive?

Gotta be nuts putting moody derv in a modern truck anyway, totally nuts.

At least wash it first :unamused:

Amateurs.

Gotta be nuts putting moody derv in a modern truck anyway, totally nuts.

why’s that?

Because it’s probly minging & may wreck your engine, may not but I wouldn’t trust it in my truck even if it was free.

I don’t understand why using red should cause any damage to your engine, modern or not.
It apparently doesn’t damage the engines in the agricultural machines that run on it and plenty of those are modern engines nowadays.
As far as I am aware (but I’ll stand correction)red diesel is simply ordinary white diesel with a dye added to it.
It’s not a different kind of diesel.

Same diesel same additives just dyed red for the benefit of HMRC to tell the difference.
If it was a different grade of fuel then there would be no need to dye it as it would be different

m1cks:
Same diesel same additives just dyed red for the benefit of HMRC to tell the difference.
If it was a different grade of fuel then there would be no need to dye it as it would be different

True!! Apparently the dye effects the fuel filters though. As the dye itself makes it slight heavier which in turn makes the difference

Jamiemufu:

m1cks:

True!! Apparently the dye effects the fuel filters though. As the dye itself makes it slight heavier which in turn makes the difference

or you can put it through cat litter to remove the dye :wink:

I dont get why people who use red dont just dye it. I tip numerous sites where the dye the derv. Dye it black. Why cant you just dye red and says its white:P But of course dyed black!

Jamiemufu:

m1cks:

Red diesel is made to different specifications but it’s closer to derv than you might think, which isn’t necessarily a good thing as the sulphur content has been reduced by 100x which affects the lubricity causing increased wear on pumps and injectors and 7% biodiesel requirement has made the diesel more prone to picking up water and microbiological infection.
Red diesel has added chemical markers which have been proven not to cause any damage to the fuel filter(s) engine, injectors, exhaust after treatment systems etc.

There’s loads of myths surrounding running cars/trucks on red and the vast majority is complete bs especially surrounding damage, the only problem you might have running it in an engine that has been optimised for derv is the lower cetane rating
which may cause poor idling and performance but cases are few and far between.

Given the choice, price and legalities aside, red diesel is still the better fuel.

The use of illicit diesel is estimated to be 12 to 13% of market share in Northern Ireland and about 2% in the rest of the UK.

Looks like the northern irish like a bit of red… :laughing:

There has been a long running debate about doing away with red diesel in the uk.An alternative system would be to only have white diesel but allow farmers,plant machinery operators anyone who already has a legitimate reason to use red to claim the tax back from the government.This I can imagine would cause other problems.
Is red diesel unique to the Uk ?
As far as I know it is not used in Canada or The States but tax rates are a lot lower anyway.
Anyone know about the rest of Europe?
Another problem is Kerosene being passed off as white diesel.This definitely will wreck your engine if used for a prolonged period.

offsetphil:
There has been a long running debate about doing away with red diesel in the uk.An alternative system would be to only have white diesel but allow farmers,plant machinery operators anyone who already has a legitimate reason to use red to claim the tax back from the government.This I can imagine would cause other problems.
Is red diesel unique to the Uk ?
As far as I know it is not used in Canada or The States but tax rates are a lot lower anyway.
Anyone know about the rest of Europe?
Another problem is Kerosene being passed off as white diesel.This definitely will wreck your engine if used for a prolonged period.

The government have had such a system on the cards for a few years now but the problem comes when you have to prove to the taxman where the fuel has gone you could add a few gallons a day and put the ‘spare’ fuel in your car/sell it on and no one can prove you are running on rebated diesel.

Red diesel/rebated diesel is available in most/all europe, the US and quite a few other countries as far as i’m aware.
Kero has chemical markers and is dyed yellow, kerosene lacks lubricating additives found in diesel and it’s also illegal to run any engine on kero regardless of whether it’s used on the road or not, jet engines use a more refined form of kero with different additives so are exempt.