Bit of recovery work

I wouldn’t have thought so the hiab is probily only 2 tonne close,but is ok for 15tonne when towing :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

marlow has maybe seen defeat on this thread and realised he could be on a sticky wicket,the eveidence is gone (is it :question: :question: )

I see what you are saying but there are two wagons there with cranes on,

Just a thought as it would be a little safer secured to the bed of the wagon than hanging off the back,

If it was me in that situation i would of towed with a striaght bar, if proper heavy recovery was not available, :laughing:

Sheeter:
This should make it easier to see what’s going on,

there’s only two straps holding the hiab,the most they can is 5tonne :question:

Probably didn’t piggyback it because of the slagging they’d get for using only straps. Without chains and ratchets, it would be just as dodgy.

marlow has maybe seen defeat on this thread and realised he could be on a sticky wicket,the evidence is gone

defeat :open_mouth: — never, :wink: evidenced gone, :open_mouth: I’m sure I don’t know what you mean your honour. More a case of liability limitation. :unamused: I never claimed that it was 100% legal what I said and I stick to is that it was both secure and safe. Even if it didn’t seem that way to the untrained eye.

All to save a couple of hundred quid

Don’t know about that, I think £1000 is nearer the mark, but as I have said before money was not the issue.

certainly proved he was a cowboy for allowing you to do it

Again I think that’s unfair, He had no knowledge of what I was doing other than putting me through to the garage so I could pick the brains of the mechanic to confirm my diagnosis that the turbo had gone. I feel fortunate to have such a gaffer. I was once refused a Phillips screwdriver by the TM of a large logistics company, to enable me to change a bulb. Her reason was I hadn’t be risk assessed with such an implement. :unamused:

Sorry to but into this debate on the rights and wrongs but would it of not been easier to lift the broken down truck on the back of the towing wagon?

[Looks like it would fit just

I had considered that option however it would have only fit by loading it with the cab to the front. As explained before I have the problem of grossed on the front axle empty so the truck must be loaded evenly across the back axle to avoid overloading the front. The wheelbase of the fl is 6m so it would have just about gone on the trailer (6.1 m bed) but the problem in lifting it is finding the centre of gravity and being able to lift it from there without causing damage.

Probably didn’t piggyback it because of the slagging they’d get for using only straps. Without chains and ratchets, it would be just as dodgy.

maybe I would have been given the same slagging off :wink: but the logic dictates that 4 x 2.5 ton straps exert the same force as 1 x 10 ton chain.

the hiab is probily only 2 tonne close,but is ok for 15tonne when towing

The crane is rated @ 30 ½ ton/mtr. So the safe lift limit at that reach is 3.8 ton (this confirmed my estimate of the weight of the back of the Volvo) but as the arm was rested on the back of the body, the overall strain on the unsupported arm was 3.5 ton on a span of 1 ½ meters so at that reach it’s rate it will lift in excess of 17 tons, never mind towing, imho well within the acceptable safe limits, even though it it’s not specifically designed for that purpose. As they say the proof is in the pudding the truck arrived safe and sound back at the yard. Indeed I drove the fl6 only today as my truck was fitted with a new heater motor that I defected on Monday. We may run old tackle but its impeccablely maintained.

marlow:
Don’t know about that, I think £1000 is nearer the mark, but as I have said before money was not the issue.

So why did you risk getting both your gaffer and yourself into serious trouble by bodging the job when you could have a called a wrecker out to do the job properly? A traffic cop on another forum has been reading following this thread and said he would have thrown the book at you.

The only reason I can see why you did it was to receive more brownie points off your gaffer. :unamused: