Bit of advice with possible job change to NFT

Hiya fellow drivers Been a while since ive been on but its been a year on now since gaining my Class 1 and getting on well driving Drags and Artics for my present company of DHL NHS Suply Chain (formaly NHS Logisitcs Authority) in Alfreton Derbys. Ive been driving full stop for them now a little over 2 years but recently since Down Hill Logistics took over from Ceva (Ex TNT) its gone from bad to worse so much so that it looks like early next year they are looking into loosing about 6 drivers mostly of nights which i work now. The H&S issue alone has gone nuts with us only haveing to take a few empty cages a time off which is taking me loads longer when i return to empty reload my truck then get going again. Also they are on zero tolerences for tacho infringements so if i do make a error (very rare now im getting into it with no training from the company) i get a PIP which if i had 3 in a year then its bye bye. Just all these things are mounting up to feeling like there is less enjoyment anymore

Right now down to the main question at hand. In TruckStop news ive noticed they are after Class 1 drivers under the ADR Network agency for a local NFT Distribution which look very good money compared to what i make now. I went along a few weeks back to ask how busy they are and if they are always after drivers and busy year round which they said they was. The main concern i have is leaving my present company and moving to a agency. I have been trying to have words with a few drivers when i manage to get a break but ive only spoke to one driver from Crick but not been very successfull with the Alfreton depot. So has many people got any experiences with both ADR Network and NFT

Many Thanks

I work for Nft from time to time, via agency - been busy last couple of months, but then dropped off the last 3 weeks. I have lost count of the number of times i have been cancelled there, sometimes less than an hour before start time. Good to work for however, long hours, easy work. Friendly folk, both in the office and the yard, decent kit, well looked after

Not sure this helps really.

Thanks for the comment Everything is helpful Its like i said if i decide to take the plunge i would have to make sure i can get daily work is the thing. There is no chance of doing a odd bit of work on the side as my company disallows it. My dad did some work for them a while back under Evonne Palmer and he said it was good to work for . If it was a certain employment i prob wont be asking this question and gone for it by now

Stay where you are! Agency work dies a death in the New Year and can be quiet until April/May time. This recession is far from over and might get a lot worse yet. Stick with what you have for the next 6 months. I’d also add that agency work is nowhere near as good an earner as it used to be. I’ll be looking for a full time job myself shortly and I’ve been doing agency for years…

:smiley: hi, heed the last post, i found myself unemployed and returned to agency work after 12 years tramping, i am now doing the same run for the same firm that i last done over 12 years ago, only i am getting paid £1.50 an hour less than i was then, remember low money is better than no money,
and to be totally truthfull i am too ashamed to own up to what i am earning, to avoid the dole queue :blush:

yungnad:
:smiley: hi, heed the last post, i found myself unemployed and returned to agency work after 12 years tramping, i am now doing the same run for the same firm that i last done over 12 years ago, only i am getting paid £1.50 an hour less than i was then, remember low money is better than no money,
and to be totally truthfull i am too ashamed to own up to what i am earning, to avoid the dole queue :blush:

dont be ashamed fella, you get your ■■■ out of bed and work thats summit to be proud of, we work cos we have to and some of us even like it
avoiding the dole is what its all about once your on there depression and frustration makes it a hard knock life

I worked for ADR when they had the NFT contract at Elstree,until they moved the operation to Waltham Point.
It was a cracking little job,nobody mithered me,would probably still be there,if they hadn’t moved.

Tbh my wages are pretty bad for what we do If im on a rigid all night then its normally 2 runs which means i have to load and unload my vehicle at the depot and hospital then do it again when i get back. Then on my second run do it again. But if i was driving W&G i have to tranship my load from my trailer onto my P/M once i have delivered off the front then deliver the trialer load all for £5 a shift difference from rigid work

If NFT was setting on directly i prob wont be asking this question and be driving for them now but its still nothing perm out there that puts me off moving yet

I went to see them last year and they pay through a scheme like NOVA, not sure if its still true as I didn’t stay long after he said that.

I used to do it when YPD were the main agency, and it was a brilliant job, easy work, nice office staff, aslong as you didn’t take the p they didn’t try it on.

Yeah with what i have heard its a good job Its mainly the agency side that worrys me But hey if things go ■■■■ up next year and im looking for a job then im sure that will be my first point of call

I’d say anyone who was thinking of moving from f/t/ job to agency just before the new year is either mad, or loaded with so much money it won’t matter to them when they won’t be getting any shifts. If you are in the second one of these two, please forward me a blank cheque for my time and advice, I’ll fill in the missing info :wink: :laughing:

Well bit of a update

We have been told (well told as in put a notice up on the board) that 16 drivers going from our place. Thats 6 class C + 4 7.5t on days and 6 class C on nights (which is my shift)

On wednesday we are having a meeting to find out a little more and maybe who could be getting the axe. I have a C+E license but only a CLass C contract as i only cover class 1 when im needed so im counted as a possible redundee

It really has come as a suprise the quantity of drivers they are finishing and wouldnt like to think how bad the work load is afterwards if i do stay

I have a week of in a weeks time and maybe asking up at NFT if they need drivers. So another question is do you have to use your tacho card/chart on assesment if they ask me for one. Because my place at the minute doesnt allow me to work for anyone else while under there employment

Thanks for any replays
Much apreciate it :slight_smile:

TruckerJoe:
So another question is do you have to use your tacho card/chart on assesment if they ask me for one. Because my place at the minute doesnt allow me to work for anyone else while under there employment

Yes I’m afraid you will need to use the tachograph whilst on assessment.

TruckerJoe:
Well bit of a update

We have been told (well told as in put a notice up on the board) that 16 drivers going from our place. Thats 6 class C + 4 7.5t on days and 6 class C on nights (which is my shift)

On wednesday we are having a meeting to find out a little more and maybe who could be getting the axe. I have a C+E license but only a CLass C contract as i only cover class 1 when im needed so im counted as a possible redundee

It really has come as a suprise the quantity of drivers they are finishing and wouldnt like to think how bad the work load is afterwards if i do stay

I have a week of in a weeks time and maybe asking up at NFT if they need drivers. So another question is do you have to use your tacho card/chart on assesment if they ask me for one. Because my place at the minute doesnt allow me to work for anyone else while under there employment

You’re not working for them mate only doing an assessment and you have a responsibility to look after yourself by looking for another job as yours is going ■■■■ up. The lot you’re working for now won’t pay your bills if they pay you off, will they?

44Tonne is right joe.
And any company who bollock you for looking for a job just after theyve announced redundancies arent worth working for.
I tipped in there a few times when i worked for the co-op at alfreton, they seemed friendly enough in the office.
Have you tried the co-op? I think the agency pay around £10 per hour in there.
There was also a job regularly advertised in my local paper(the chad)out of cotes park for trunking up to nissan in the north east.
Good luck anyway

Hi
I have been doing work for NFT alfreton on agy for like a month
The work is easy and money for me is £8 (not with ADR) but ADR is the best way to go on sundays they get £13.60
I have not been in for like 4 days now and getting slower now xmas is over
I wouldn’t leave a fulltime job for agy work
NFT are long days most over 12 hours and you sometimes have to sit and wait for hour + for your load/truck getting back

They send you to morrisons at northwich alot and you can be there 3-4+hours everytime and you have to split your load down agy drivers seem to get that nice run alot

You don’t get guarantee 8 hours just what you work (1/4/6/7)

If you was out of work then go for it because its a nice job and easy and clear trucks (auto volvo)

I know what your saying about if im out of work Gates. Im pretty sure id end up at either NFT or CoOp as they are both local to me with living in the next village. I have a meet tuesday night with the gaffer (1st time he has come in at a late hour and mention anything to us in person) so maybe a little more light will be shed then. I also did wonder what sort of gear box was on the volvos they use as to be a bit shameful ive not driven a splitter manual since passing my test over 2 years ago :blush:

JB:

Yeah i see the CoOp advertise a bit in truckstop mag through ADR plus a guy i used to work with at NHS moved there not long after i started

Stil apreciate all the replys Gives me plenty to think about then feeling a bit let down by the job. Ill keep you all posted

Hi Joe.

I’ve been full time with NFT at the Bristol depot for 4 years now, started as a driver and now shunter/supervisor/dogs body.

We’re a bit different here as most of our work is primary distribution for Sainsburys but we’re also doing more and more M&S, Asda etc work for Alfreton and Crick. We get at least 4 or 5 Alfreton trucks in for loads every night as well as ones from Whitefield and Crick.

If I go out on the road for overtime I always make sure I do an Alfreton trunk as the work is so easy. It’s all driving, no unloading and maybe a trailer change.

The kit at Alfreton is all fairly new and tidy, the have a fleet of Volvo FM’s and quite a few new trailers. The staff, drivers and shunters there are a pretty good bunch but like anywhere busy it can get very hectic at times. NFT seem to be the up and coming chilled hauliers at the moment and we’re always hearing about new contracts that have been won and how the company as a whole are looking to expand and take on some of the big boys.

If your current job is on the line you could do a lot worse than giving ADR a bell and getting some work at NFT. Most new drivers are usually ex ADR drivers when the time comes to recruit new staff.

If you do decide to jump ship and they send you in to the Bristol depot for a backload pop in the shunters office for a cuppa if I’m on shift.

Best of luck

Jay

Life’s a Gas:
Hi Joe.

I’ve been full time with NFT at the Bristol depot for 4 years now, started as a driver and now shunter/supervisor/dogs body.

We’re a bit different here as most of our work is primary distribution for Sainsburys but we’re also doing more and more M&S, Asda etc work for Alfreton and Crick. We get at least 4 or 5 Alfreton trucks in for loads every night as well as ones from Whitefield and Crick.

If I go out on the road for overtime I always make sure I do an Alfreton trunk as the work is so easy. It’s all driving, no unloading and maybe a trailer change.

The kit at Alfreton is all fairly new and tidy, the have a fleet of Volvo FM’s and quite a few new trailers. The staff, drivers and shunters there are a pretty good bunch but like anywhere busy it can get very hectic at times. NFT seem to be the up and coming chilled hauliers at the moment and we’re always hearing about new contracts that have been won and how the company as a whole are looking to expand and take on some of the big boys.

If your current job is on the line you could do a lot worse than giving ADR a bell and getting some work at NFT. Most new drivers are usually ex ADR drivers when the time comes to recruit new staff.

If you do decide to jump ship and they send you in to the Bristol depot for a backload pop in the shunters office for a cuppa if I’m on shift.

Best of luck

Jay

Thanks for that i really apreciate all the info. I have a friend that works in the warehouse at Alfreton that mentioned about after new staff so i will ask him about how people have gone on from ADR to full time

When im returning to our depot at night i try to catch one of the Alfreton drivers if they are parked up local to have a word too. The work sound really good conpared to what i do and get payed for it. Im not to worried about the length of hours tbh as if its a job i enjoy then the time seems to fly by

Thanks again

Joe