Bit of advice please.

Most of you know what happened to my beloved MAN and now, after 3 weeks, I still haven’t had anything back about whether its a write off and if it is, how much they’re offering me.

I’ve been requested by my broker to send them the V5, MOT certificate and service history of the vehicle in original format. Im fairly reluctant to do this as I’ve not had any offers or engineer reports back from insurers. Also this week I got a letter from a company stating that they had been appointed to dispose of the trailer!! They sent me an envelope and requested I put any keys, logbooks and service history in it and send it back to them direct.

Would you send the above documents to them before you even knew what they were offering?

Matt

Personally = no, I would send copies with written and signed statement “true & accurate copy” stating that the originals are your ownership as is the truck & trailer until such time as the insurance company make you a reasonable offer.

It maybe worth you considering keeping the MAN because of the new engine, you can ask for an offer

1. for them to keep the truck and pay you out
  2. For you to keep the truck and them pay you a settlement figure.

You can ask for both there is no obligation either way.

I’d send them copies of any documents they had asked for, they don’t need to have the originals.

If this had all happened to me, I’d get the workshop who maintain my truck to write a letter saying “We maintain this truck and we estimate its value as £15,000” or whatever the maximum value of a truck of that year and mileage might be.

Letting policyholders buy back vehicles is getting less common. They may just offer a settlement and they take the vehicle.

Thanks for replies. Looking at trade in value its only worth about £5000 but then im not trading it in am I, I should be paid out in what it would cost to buy a replacement vehicle of similar age and mileage.

If they dont offer me what im looking for and won’t budge ill bw suggesting they give me the wagon back as well.

Matt.

Harry Monk:
I’d send them copies of any documents they had asked for, they don’t need to have the originals.

If this had all happened to me, I’d get the workshop who maintain my truck to write a letter saying “We maintain this truck and we estimate its value as £15,000” or whatever the maximum value of a truck of that year and mileage might be.

My broker now has 3 adverts on his desk which I printed off Auto Trader which show exactly the same age and model of my MAN so I’ve told him to use them as an example of what its value is to replace it. I’ve also stressed that none of them have tipping hydraulics on which I require.

Matt

[quote=“xfmatt” My broker now has 3 adverts on his desk which I printed off Auto Trader which show exactly the same age and model of my MAN so I’ve told him to use them as an example of what its value is to replace it. I’ve also stressed that none of them have tipping hydraulics on which I require.

Matt[/quote]
What about the new engine ?
was it new or 2nd hand ?

Muckspreader:

xfmatt:
My broker now has 3 adverts on his desk which I printed off Auto Trader which show exactly the same age and model of my MAN so I’ve told him to use them as an example of what its value is to replace it. I’ve also stressed that none of them have tipping hydraulics on which I require.

Matt

What about the new engine ?
was it new or 2nd hand ?

unfortunately, that doesn’t come in to it