Bit of advice please

Hi all…at the moment ive been on the agency since sept last year…been getting 5 shifts a week every week since then…now the bottoms dropped out of it no shift yesterday or today… ive been told by the t/m that when it picks up and they’ve sorted out their driver requirements i will probably be offered a full time position as i have done the two day induction ect. BTW its for a certain supermarket rdc in Widnes. Now heres the prob… i have been offered a full time tramping job to start as soon as possible, its mon to fri, with the option of running back in on the odd sat or running out on the odd sunday.Now heres the :blush: part of the job, the hourly rates are as follows mon-fri £7-05 ph sat £8-75 ph sun & b/h £10 ph… what would you guys do?. Should i go for the regular income or hang around on the agency on the word of a t/m.

Its a no brainer full time everytime

are the hourly rates straight through or overtime after so many hours?

what is the night out allowance?

have you done tramping before? it is not something that anyone can get straight in to, some people can do it and enjoy it, others don’t like to be away from home all week

with the supermarket job, you will be given any vehicle on any day, not have your own truck, whereas with the tramping job, you will almost certainly have your own truck

also, you have not said what the agency are paying ph in comparison, and what hours are available at the agency or tramping job

personally, i would take the tramping job if you have been offered it, TM’s say anything to agency drivers to try and keep them sweet :wink:

cheers guys, the hourly rate is right through … nightout money is £20.50…i had been tramping for the last 10 yrs (tankers) until nights out stopped or werent regular which was when i left…take home on the agency can be anything from £350 to £450 pw but this is for a thur to mon shift with a 03am start

if you can do it, take the tramping job

no brainer :wink:

full time every time.

Back to tramping it is then :slight_smile: .now all ive gota find is all me gear in the loft :unamused:

Full time Jordoe…Jobs like that are like rocking horse ■■■■ at the moment! Snap their hand off!

RobRob:
Full time Jordoe…Jobs like that are like rocking horse [zb] at the moment! Snap their hand off!

Even at those rates of pay ?

That pay is total crap … sorry to say it mate.
7.05 should mean 10.57 after 8 hours and on saturday and 14.10 an hour for sundays. or has the pay system over there gone that far up the wall.

The agency is probably trying to keep you on their books for when work picks up so I have no idea what advice to give you other than keep looking for a good job because both of these are bad.

jordoe220:

RobRob:
Full time Jordoe…Jobs like that are like rocking horse [zb] at the moment! Snap their hand off!

Even at those rates of pay ?

Frankly, yes. Even at those rates!

There is simply hardly any work about at the moment. Take what you can and plug into the grapevine for a chance of bettering your salary.

Pat Hasler:
7.05 should mean 10.57 after 8 hours and on saturday and 14.10 an hour for sundays. or has the pay system over there gone that far up the wall.

The agency is probably trying to keep you on their books for when work picks up so I have no idea what advice to give you other than keep looking for a good job because both of these are bad.

Times are getting hard over here at mo mate. Trampers out of Cornwall getting not much more than that now :imp: :imp:

Pat Hasler:

+1

I wouldn’t take any job that paid so low for class 1 as, if that’s all the respect they have for their drivers,you are likely to get treated accordingly when you start work. You could earn a better rate almost anywhere, filling shelves etc…driving a van for Asda delivering shopping pays the same or better…

If you are doing supermarket work on the agency, I’d bet the hourly rate is a fair bit better than the tramping job. It’s Ok saying full time every time, but they could let you go again in three months - there are no guarantees any more than with the agency.

I agree with Pat - I’d hold out for a better job mate…the fact you are asking on here shows you have doubts-go with your instinct…

Personally id seriously consider the full time work. You will have the benefits of knowing what you are going to earn basic so you know your bills are beeing met and you can still shop around for a better paid job if you are not happy but you will always know what your getting before you go to work and as you have discovered agency work will never be garanteed.

and just think you can “Technically” have your weekends to yourself again and have a social life as im probs guessing all your mates go out at the weekend while you have to work…

Best bit of advice ive ever been given.

We work to live, we dont live to work…

Good luck fella. take the full time job.

those rates are apalling,i would be embarrassed to drive class one for that sort of money :smiling_imp: that employer is taking the ■■■■ because times are a little tough.
if the agency have been keeping you busy stick with them…you can hardly say the bottoms dropped out of it just coz you`ve been off a couple of days

jordoe220:
cheers guys, the hourly rate is right through … nightout money is £20.50…i had been tramping for the last 10 yrs (tankers) until nights out stopped or werent regular which was when i left…take home on the agency can be anything from £350 to £450 pw but this is for a thur to mon shift with a 03am start

That means you have to do Night out if you like or not,otherwise you not getting your Money :wink:

Truckulent:

Pat Hasler:

+1

I wouldn’t take any job that paid so low for class 1 as, if that’s all the respect they have for their drivers,you are likely to get treated accordingly when you start work. You could earn a better rate almost anywhere, filling shelves etc…driving a van for Asda delivering shopping pays the same or better…

If you are doing supermarket work on the agency, I’d bet the hourly rate is a fair bit better than the tramping job. It’s Ok saying full time every time, but they could let you go again in three months - there are no guarantees any more than with the agency.

I agree with Pat - I’d hold out for a better job mate…the fact you are asking on here shows you have doubts-go with your instinct…

Think Tsco is looking for .com Van drivers.They pay £8.40 i got said.
O/T,Sat and after 10 pm has other Rate

Think Tsco is looking for .com Van drivers.They pay £8.40 i got said.
O/T,Sat and after 10 pm has other Rate

and after a qualifying period… a good pension scheme, profit sharing, share options, and discount shopping.

Aldi are paying £8.20 for shelf stackers rising to over £9.

commonrail:
you can hardly say the bottoms dropped out of it just coz you`ve been off a couple of days

Its probably the 1st year the OP has experienced the start of the agency bleak season when work drops off after Christmas. It comes as a bit of a shock when those on agency experience it for the 1st time. Others just take it in their stride, and use the down time for a post Christmas holiday ready for when work picks up nearer easter.
If the OP needs work and the income it provides, then he may as well consider the tramping job, it will provide him with the money to pay the bills in the mean time. Afterall he can always consider his options and jack it in and when work picks back up and either return to the agency work or look at the other job with the supermarkets

Well another shift cancelled today :blush: , ive accepted the trampers job purely for the guaranteed income,it also has the benefit of keeping in the loop,if i can average around 60hrs pw which after speaking to one of the other guys seems to be the norm, with the night out money that will do me for now because i’ll be saving around £50pw on not having to travel to and from work every day…the units not bad either 11 plate highline (coulda been better but coulda been a lot worse). Thanx for all the advice btw good and bad. Back to going to work once a week !! :smiley: