Bit of Advice please

Right outside Peter Smythe Transport Training Base in Mansfield if you turn left there is a Arc Bridge with limited height.
Could you tell me how to go under it ? As its got lanes marked to go through the Centre of it but it seems pretty hard during morning hours rush hour.

That’s what i got failed for on my last test didn’t knew where to stop and wait and didn’t knew how to go under it despite having 6 hours preparation beforehand The “Instructor” Failed to show me that arc bridge.

I Couldn’t beleive my eyes as soon as i’ve seen that bridge on the exam i panicked as i couldn’t believe that instructor didn’t show me it despite being paid for 6 hours training 3 hours on each day. Especially its just outside the testing centre 100 metres on the left ;( It Almost made me quit trying to get my licence and I was deeply disappointed as i thought It was deliberate action.

I Can pinpoint the location for you on googlemap if that helps you to explain how should I tackle it.

All help is greatly appreciated if anyone went under that bridge and passed please post underneath and give me as many advices as to how to do this properly and not get failed for doing something wrong.

Am I supposed to sit there waiting with indicator on or off ?

Where Am I supposed to stop approximately ?

What Am I supposed to do if a huge queue forms behind me and i feel intimidated by it but the traffic is coming towards me from the other direction making me wait even longer ?

Looking at Google maps , I would of crawled forward evuntually taking the road as no line to stop or give way .

Bit of advice…

Ask your TRAINER :unamused:

Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood something but why on earth would you think you were ready for a test after 6 hours of instruction?

Les Shoes:
Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood something but why on earth would you think you were ready for a test after 6 hours of instruction?

Lol I thought he meant he had six hours prep before the test , Jesus! he done well even getting to the bridge !

You should have had an option at the end of the test to go through it with your examiner, when I failed mine for a poor right hand turn, when I got back the examiner went through the few minors giving advice, and then on what I failed on and what I should have done, which was hold back at a certain point, let the cars go through until there was room to take the turning. Even if you have to wait forever for someone to let you take your maneuver, as long as you don’t bully/force your way through, all you are doing is burning test time. If you’re there too long through no fault of your own then the examiner will alter the route accordingly, you will not fail if you have no control of the circumstances, ie you were indicating and positioned appropriately.

pop back into the training centre and just ask for a friendly couple minutes chat about the bridge as its just outside them, explain what happened, i’m sure someone will help out.

Like you say, you simply follow the lines to go under it. The truck doesn’t reduce in height at rush hour so that makes no difference. No real need for a signal. Folks can see what you want to do.

You would stop in a position where you can follow the road markings.

If there is a queue behind you that makes no difference to your actions.

Maybe I’m missing something here, but what is difficult about following clear road markings under a bridge?

During your course you would have turned both ways out of the training centre. But you cant expect to cover every bit of road on the warm up before a retest.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

So lets get this straight

In one breath we got Andrew the OP claiming that in all the training he’s undertaken he never went under and arc bridge and doesn’t have a clue what to do and is asking us for advice and yet if I ever was unsure about something you ask the trainer, yet

That’s what i got failed for on my last test didn’t knew where to stop and wait and didn’t knew how to go under it despite having 6 hours preparation beforehand The “Instructor” Failed to show me that arc bridge.

Wow six hours training doesn’t seem a lot but hey

But then on the other hand we got Pete stating

During your course you would have turned both ways out of the training centre. But you cant expect to cover every bit of road on the warm up before a retest.

Now me thinks that someone is a tad sore at not passing and blaming everyone else but himself or to open a can of worms someone’s telling porky pies :grimacing:

Lorry driver training wouldn’t be worth a tinkers ■■■■ if all they did was repeat the most likely test route so you could drive it like an automaton.

You will come up against a million different sets of circumstances on a single 10 mile journey unless you travel it at 3.30am, so you simply use your judgement, they can’t teach you every inch of the road and nor will the trainer be there when the infinitely variable traffic and pedestrian volumes and behaviour do their worse.

You cocked the approach up somehow, just one of those things, you can’t blame the trainer for that, you and every one of us will make a similar ■■■■ up every day of our driving lives no matter how many times we repeat the same route.

Common sense mate.

Why would you use indicators?

The road markings are there to help you.

I went under it yesterday and most sensible car drivers will see why your waiting an let you through.

Just give yourself enough room to approach it dead centre.

Simples

looking at previous posts from andrew1111 it seems he might be struggling to adapt to driving LGV’s, these posts mention a fear of driving at the new 50mph limit which the average driver is more than happy to do. so, not an easy customer for Peter but you do get them from time to time.

The training given from Peter is apparently ‘quality not quantity’ but this might have needed to be adjusted for andrew, whether the amount of training he needs is affordable to him is in material - no point going to test to fail, go there prepared and pass, if this isn’t possible, consider your options.

i’ve seen customers that only require 6 hours training to pass their test and others needing 60 hours, obviously its rare to need over 22 hours with our automatic volvo’s but it does happen now and then. Thats why everyone should do a driving assessment first, can’t imagine the driving examiner was too impressed either, thinking ‘why is this chap taking his test, he clearly isn’t ready’.

Andrew1111:
Right outside Peter Smythe Transport Training Base in Mansfield if you turn left there is a Arc Bridge with limited height.
Could you tell me how to go under it ? As its got lanes marked to go through the Centre of it but it seems pretty hard during morning hours rush hour.

That’s what i got failed for on my last test didn’t knew where to stop and wait and didn’t knew how to go under it despite having 6 hours preparation beforehand The “Instructor” Failed to show me that arc bridg

What Am I supposed to do if a huge queue forms behind me and i feel intimidated by it but the traffic is coming towards me from the other direction making me wait even longer ?

dosen’t matter how long the queue is Andrew…you gotta wait! there’s one of these bridges in Grantham that i go under twice a week,and sometimes i have to wait a few minutes,but eventually a clued up motorist will stop and let you through! and don’t be intimidated…

Tockwith Training:
looking at previous posts from andrew1111 it seems he might be struggling to adapt to driving LGV’s, these posts mention a fear of driving at the new 50mph limit which the average driver is more than happy to do. so, not an easy customer for Peter but you do get them from time to time.

The training given from Peter is apparently ‘quality not quantity’ but this might have needed to be adjusted for andrew, whether the amount of training he needs is affordable to him is in material - no point going to test to fail, go there prepared and pass, if this isn’t possible, consider your options.

i’ve seen customers that only require 6 hours training to pass their test and others needing 60 hours, obviously its rare to need over 22 hours with our automatic volvo’s but it does happen now and then. Thats why everyone should do a driving assessment first, can’t imagine the driving examiner was too impressed either, thinking ‘why is this chap taking his test, he clearly isn’t ready’.

If someone needs 60 hours of training just to scrape through the C test is it really worth it? As in any walk of life some people just aren’t cut out for certain jobs and if they need that much training aimed directly at passing the test how are they going to cope in the real world?
How do you feel after training someone for 60 hours who ‘just can’t get the hang of it’ who then scrapes through on their 4th attempt with a whole bunch of minor faults (for example) knowing that now they plan to go and jump in 32t of 8 wheeler that will be as alien to them as your training vehicle was for 60 hours? Or should you, right at the start, suggest shelf stacking to them as a worthwhile career choice?
By the way I hear you have some new automatic volvos?! :laughing:

By the way I hear you have some new automatic volvos?! :laughing:

Really? I hadn’t noticed that! I think we’ve all got the idea now.

In reality if someone can’t be of test standard in 20 hours then it probably isn’t the best option as a chosen career.

To talk about 60 hours training is ludicrous.

Paul :smiley:

Tockwith Training:
obviously its rare to need over 22 hours with our automatic volvo’s

Why is it so obvious. Talking to the other trainers that use Chelmsford test centre the pass rate has not improved since the introduction of automatics, although in fairness none use Volvo trucks. This is because a fail on gears is a rare occurance anyway since the departure of the Gear Change Exercise from the test on 1st Jan 2008. There are still plenty of other boxes that can be marked serious on the DL25 test report.

Perhaps it might be the make of vehicle, Volvo that helps due to its advanced I-Shift gearbox

Tockwith Training:
i’ve seen customers that only require 6 hours training to pass their test and others needing 60 hours

In 33 years training LGV drivers I have never known anyone that needs 60 hours training. My all time worst ever candidate was a Hungarian chap who could not speak 1 word of English and he passed on attempt number 11 with an average of about 4 hours for each retest. My all time shortest ever course was a Cat C+E guy that started at 8am and tested and passed 1st time at 2pm on the same day. This despite sharing the time with another student who was on the last day of a longer course.

Perhaps it might be the make of vehicle, Volvo that helps due to its advanced I-Shift gearbox

Clearly (quickly removing tongue from cheek!)

despite having 6 hours preparation beforehand

What I meant by this it was 6 hours preparation with Peter according to their Instructor the amount of hours i needed to achieve test standard. Before that I had 3 Exams with different instructor and about 16 hours prep to the test. Then I’ve switched to Peter Smythe and Immidiately noticed better automatic truck(New Ones) and Customer service approach though went with him and his instructor judged that All i Need is 6 hours to pass the test so I had it. Now you have a bigger picture Guys. It’s not that All i had was that 6 hours I Had 16 hours before 3 failed tests and then 6 hours with Peter and a test.

And there is another test for me this week I hope to pass so That’s why I’ve asked for some advice. As it’s quite expensive to fork out 270 every month or 2 months to do a retest and then feel the same after every single exam. Despite being more then capable of driving the truck for the living, just being unlucky on the test and always meeting unsensible people on the road during morning rush hours. Or bloody Dumbass car drivers who just can’t use indicator properly on the roundabout or are not bothered doing so causing me to struggle to find out what the hell their going to do.

Andrew1111:
…always meeting unsensible people on the road during morning rush hours. Or bloody Dumbass car drivers who just can’t use indicator properly on the roundabout or are not bothered doing so causing me to struggle to find out what the hell their going to do.

Then slow it down. Your test is not a race. If cars on roundabout aren’t indicating wait until your 110% sure of intentions. Yes it might take ages but if it’s a busy roundabout then that’s what it takes.

I’d suggest you talk aloud what’s your thinking so examiner knows why your going or not going! Helps them understand actions more. You mind sound mad for an hour but once test over you can go normal !

As for the bridge on your first posting in this thread, think you’ve enough advice to be able to get through that ok now if you follow it.

If your doing test again, get instructor to make you go through it several times beforehand, a couple of loops round so you approach it a few times will get you sorted then go through a few roundabouts all time ask instructor to talk you through everyone so you understand better what to do.

Andrew1111:

… always meeting unsensible people on the road during morning rush hours. Or bloody Dumbass car drivers who just can’t use indicator properly on the roundabout or are not bothered doing so causing me to struggle to find out what the hell their going to do.

Stacking shelves is a worthwhile career choice Cheech, have a look into it :wink: