Birmingham and black country firms

pyewacket947v:

pete smith:
One of Foulkes Scania’s Trev H (RIP) worked on when employed by B+W Motors at Wolverhampton

UVP 40H was supplied to James Hare of Kings Norton.
It arrived with its York/Welford tandem tipper in primer.
Jimmy painted the whole thing at Sturge Chemicals at Lifford.
I never went to B+W while they where in Wolverhampton but paid a number of visits after they had moved to Pensnett

Hi John,
B+W motors premises in Wolverhampton was a pokey little place back of the Builders Arms pub on the Birmingham New Road and Pensnett was down a drive just off Lenches Bridge by Hemmings/Jubilee Transport? Cheer’s Pete

JLC00243-09.jpg

pete smith:

proper lorries my lad drives for browns now with a daf xf fully auto buzzers goin left right and centre ,no pleasure now or character in the new stuff .

On to weighbridge hop out into the man, " How do drive" “not so bad” “good run up” “R nothing much about”, Scale needle to,ing n fro,ing comes to a halt 29t !.The man starts writing ticket, “hold up I come up with 30t” “well you,re 29t now” “hows that ?” “funny things happen out on the road you know” “well yes they do, but losing a ton of scrap ain,t one of em” looked down by chance, " your foots on weighbridge brake !" “bludy hell your right” foot off 30t"
Did another dozen or so loads weight always spot on. To the plot, I seem to think it were a scrap yard called Hudsons ? Def black country, red lorries or poss black with red trims. Anybody know it or is my memory going skew whiff ?

coomsey:
On to weighbridge hop out into the man, " How do drive" “not so bad” “good run up” “R nothing much about”, Scale needle to,ing n fro,ing comes to a halt 29t !.The man starts writing ticket, “hold up I come up with 30t” “well you,re 29t now” “hows that ?” “funny things happen out on the road you know” “well yes they do, but losing a ton of scrap ain,t one of em” looked down by chance, " your foots on weighbridge brake !" “bludy hell your right” foot off 30t"
Did another dozen or so loads weight always spot on. To the plot, I seem to think it were a scrap yard called Hudsons ? Def black country, red lorries or poss black with red trims. Anybody know it or is my memory going skew whiff ?

Hudson’s of Dudley,Canal Street, Brierley Hill, more or less next door to Round Oak steel works

pete smith:

coomsey:

Hudson’s of Dudley,Canal Street, Brierley Hill, more or less next door to Round Oak steel works

Not gone daft then P. Much shennanigans with scrap, lots of ticket swaps n loads to yards then steel works. Used to go R Oaks regular, I were on scrap for a while, 1/3 Brum 2/3 Sheffield. Hudsons popped into my head for some reason. Never knew addresses to most, ticket would read Hudsons Brum or Browns Sheff, or the classic for me Smiths. Asked the weighbridge man, he said up north somewhere! call into Blue Boar n bound to meet tipper who knew.Did they run red or black n red motors ?

coomsey:

pete smith:

coomsey:

Not gone daft then P. Much shennanigans with scrap, lots of ticket swaps n loads to yards then steel works. Used to go R Oaks regular, I were on scrap for a while, 1/3 Brum 2/3 Sheffield. Hudsons popped into my head for some reason. Never knew addresses to most, ticket would read Hudsons Brum or Browns Sheff, or the classic for me Smiths. Asked the weighbridge man, he said up north somewhere! call into Blue Boar n bound to meet tipper who knew.Did they run red or black n red motors ?

Hi Coomsey,
They did run black and red Scania units and an ERF 8 legger, here is a pic of one of the newer Scania’s and Maurice Hudson ( on left ) also owns the Scammell 100 tonner in the Leyland museum, which is painted in the original livery, Cheer’s Pete

8749455799_041275f5aa_b.jpg

3718749532_34b212ea50_b.jpg

Posted on Past and Present, just twigged it should be on here.
Oily

oiltreader:
Oily

Well I,ll go to the bottom of our stairs Pete. Seem to think some of Hudsons mid 70s were Dodges but only went there a dozen times. Are they still going, they ought to be if they were skimming a ton off loads or maybes he had got foot on brake by mistake !!■■ Mid 70s they were that black with red trims like the big boy pic
While I,ve got you n this is a long shot.You may have read that I used to do 5/6 loads of scrap engine/gearboxes from N London up to black land, havn,t a clue where only that the yard were on street of terraced houses, they,d knocked 1 or 2 down n that were entrance n that you had to back in n no weighbgidge. The yard were 3 or four of the gardens n seem to think that all they did were engine stripping. Don,t suppose you know who/where not much to go on I know but “your the man” cheers Paul

coomsey:

oiltreader:
Oily

Well I,ll go to the bottom of our stairs Pete. Seem to think some of Hudsons mid 70s were Dodges but only went there a dozen times. Are they still going, they ought to be if they were skimming a ton off loads or maybes he had got foot on brake by mistake !!■■ Mid 70s they were that black with red trims like the big boy pic
While I,ve got you n this is a long shot.You may have read that I used to do 5/6 loads of scrap engine/gearboxes from N London up to black land, havn,t a clue where only that the yard were on street of terraced houses, they,d knocked 1 or 2 down n that were entrance n that you had to back in n no weighbgidge. The yard were 3 or four of the gardens n seem to think that all they did were engine stripping. Don,t suppose you know who/where not much to go on I know but “your the man” cheers Paul

Hi Coomsey,
I cannot remember the Dodges, before my time! The only place I can think of for the engine breaker was in Princes End Tipton, inbetween a pub and a railway cutting? There was an engine breaker past Hudsons on right hand side as well! Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:

coomsey:

oiltreader:
Oily

Hi Coomsey,
I cannot remember the Dodges, before my time! The only place I can think of for the engine breaker was in Princes End Tipton, inbetween a pub and a railway cutting? There was an engine breaker past Hudsons on right hand side as well! Cheer’s Pete

Tipton is ringing bells big time, “your def the man” Over the 8 yr I were on scrap we used to go to so many yards something to do with scrap price I,ve always supposed, difficult to recall when you run to them for a few months n then not again for a year or two. Then most are houses now, I were service engineer last 10yr n visited black country regular n couldn,t for the life of me put R Oaks on the map, shopping centre I,m told, you wouldn,t have had a bet on that in the 70s eh ?

coomsey:

pete smith:

coomsey:

oiltreader:
Oily

Hi Coomsey,

Tipton is ringing bells big time, “your def the man” Over the 8 yr I were on scrap we used to go to so many yards something to do with scrap price I,ve always supposed, difficult to recall when you run to them for a few months n then not again for a year or two. Then most are houses now, I were service engineer last 10yr n visited black country regular n couldn,t for the life of me put R Oaks on the map, shopping centre I,m told, you wouldn,t have had a bet on that in the 70s eh ?

If it was Tipton then it would be Mick the Pigs yard, next door to a pub called the Great Western I think, yes Round Oak is now the Merry Hill Shopping centre!

coomsey:

pete smith:

coomsey:

In 70s Hudsons were in Chapel St Netherton if I recall correctly they ran guy 8 leggers , late 70s I’m sure they had scania Arctic .

stinkinunrich:

coomsey:

pete smith:

coomsey:

In 70s Hudsons were in Chapel St Netherton if I recall correctly they ran guy 8 leggers , late 70s I’m sure they had scania Arctic .

Thanks S can,t remember where they were or motors they ran ,don,t know why Dodges came into my head. I did recall colour n the fact he wanted a ton of scrap out of me, you had to keep n eye on scrapyard fellas, they were bugas

Scrap men were bugas !
In my early days at it went to yard in N London for load to R Oaks. The man says " Heres a couple of Quid go n get yourself a brekkie we,ll load you" Magic give him change from cafe n up the road I went. Tipped n had 50 odd car tyres in middle of load, back on it went n best part of two days to get rid n severe bo****king from gaffer. Having said that if I ever had copper bales on always had one for myself,used to weigh it n replace with soil, nice one

VS02080.jpg
Hi Pete this pic of yours sister of one I used to run into Hudsons with. She was 1 of 4 L reg ERFs Emmo,s had 76/78 ish. All 180/DB 6 red,white n green same as my 1st one GNR 497 L, 2nd resprayed same red as they use now GAY 823 L, my god I had some stick with that reg

coomsey:
Hi Pete this pic of yours sister of one I used to run into Hudsons with. She was 1 of 4 L reg ERFs Emmo,s had 76/78 ish. All 180/DB 6 red,white n green same as my 1st one GNR 497 L, 2nd resprayed same red as they use now GAY 823 L, my god I had some stick with that reg

Hi Coomsey,
A rarety to see an old company still trading now! Tango Boy, a member on here, works for them, I can only remember as far back to the days when they started having the Volvo F10’s, Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:

coomsey:

Hi Coomsey,
A rarety to see an old company still trading now! Tango Boy, a member on here, works for them, I can only remember as far back to the days when they started having the Volvo F10’s, Cheer’s Pete

Yes like everywhere now Pete loads of companies gone . They started with mostly Leylands then onto Fodens n soon anything with Gardner in, always new. Their first foreigner were a day cab 88 about 77 ish. they had about 12 motors then most parked in what would have been 3 gardens in terraced row in Belton.You had to back into yard where one of the houses had been knocked down, 6" either side off a narrow road it were a buga, the new ( and a few of the older ones) artic drivers used to be sweating cobs by the time they,d got em in. Yards on old South pit yard now.
Yes Tango boy lives in next village to me but I don,t think I know him unless he uses Black Hoss Whitwick. cheers paul