Birkenhead port

I have to go to the Birkenhead Ferry Port on Sunday. Not been there before. I know it’s at the end of the M53 but is it well signed from there for trucks? I don’t want to end up in the car park …or the sea!
Also, is it obvious where to go when I arrive? I’m taking a 5 metre high double decker to drop there and picking up another coming from Belfast. Are there marked bays for the one i’m dropping?

Yep, it’s well sign posted from the motorway.

Can’t help you at the dock, I’ve only been to collect unaccompanied trailers.

Ask them in the office when you get there.
I’ve not been for a very long time but there were two separate defined parking areas and you used to drive straight through the inbound trailer park to access the other one to drop your outbound trailer.

the nice people at the gates will tell you where to drop and collect your trailer

just follow your nose and its signposted to death.
as soon as you go over the swing bridge then hang a left and you will see the traffic slots.they will tell you at the barrier where to go.easy peasy.
they are scouser dockers so expect a warm welcome

Rentadent:
Ask them in the office when you get there.
I’ve not been for a very long time but there were two separate defined parking areas and you used to drive straight through the inbound trailer park to access the other one to drop your outbound trailer.

When I used to drop and pick up unaccompanied plant there, stuff we where dropping went in the yard to the right of the booths as you went in, and stuff we picked up from the yard straight on.
The bays weren’t numbered, and as about quite a few years ago.

dieseldog999:
as soon as you go over the swing bridge then hang a left and you will see the traffic slots.they will tell you at the barrier where to go.easy peasy.

Can you recommend a good phrase book for “Scouse”?
Depending on how long the OP has before his trip, could he learn enough to get by?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

dieseldog999:

Wirral wools.

That’s all great thanks. Always get a bit worried when going somewhere for the first time. Specially in a decker. Is there plenty of space to drop the trailer once inside or is it tight?

if you follow :slight_smile: your nose in off the motorway you end up going over an iron swing bridge and the docks are immediately on your left as you get off the bridge?
is it not albert dock you call next to it?
anyhooo.its a doddle to find as its well marked,well signed,and a big road the entire way in.

:slight_smile:
As you approach jct.2 of the M53 you’ll see the first sign for ‘ALL DOCKS’
(middle lane).
Onto viaduct at jct.1 still in middle lane (iron railings) and then onto slip road where there’s a black & white Ro-Ro sign (boat with a car & lorry inside it :wink: ).
Past the Toyota car dealers on your left then just follow the signs.

They have been having trouble with the (brand new :unamused: ) red bridge just before the terminal entrance recently.
Therefore there might be a diversion route for the final mile, if so it will be well signposted.

Coming back, just follow the same route whichever it was back to the M53. :smiley:

It’s called the 12 Quays, Birkenhead docks we’ll sign posted,
DD the Albert dock is on the Liverpool side of the river Mersey, I think the Alfred dock is Birkenhead side

Intake/l39:
It’s called the 12 Quays, Birkenhead docks we’ll sign posted,
DD the Albert dock is on the Liverpool side of the river Mersey, I think the Alfred dock is Birkenhead side

^^^^^^^^^^^
ive never had to find them and can never remember what ones what other than follow your nose down dock road,hang a right,then over that swing bridge thingy avoiding the scouse junkie/prozzys if your parked before loading on the boat. :slight_smile:

Mission accomplished. All good, found it easily. Even understood the dockers! And bonus, didn’t hit anything! Thanks all.

Is there an easy way to get from Birkenhead Port into Liverpool City Centre? Ive been using the Runcorn - Widnes bridge.

The Mersey tunnel Kingsway or sometimes called the new tunnel, weight limit in old one.

bing.com/maps?q=new+mersey+ … ORM=HDRSC4

happyhebridean436:
Is there an easy way to get from Birkenhead Port into Liverpool City Centre? Ive been using the Runcorn - Widnes bridge.

Tunnel.If not driving get the ferry

happyhebridean436:

Christ that’s the long way round! As someone said if driving the toll for tunnel is great value considering the distance of the alternative, which isn’t even free now since the Mersey Gateway opened

watch for the puddle at the end of the trailer park. You might loose a double decker in that one.