Bird Flu

I have had a strange request from a biker mate of mine.

He wants me to take his racing pigeons to Bremen :exclamation:

What and how could you explain this if I got stopped. Obviosly I wouldnt be able to take them into a food factory with me but if I was just taking a chassis or a tipper they could sit on the back.

I suggested hypnotising them and convincing them they were German, then they could fly there themselves.

This is a serious post

I would speak to Customs if I was you mate.

They will be able to tell you all the rules and regulations.

You could also try DEFRA., they have a site at www.defra.gov.uk which should be able to give you the information you need.

i would think this will be on dodgy ground now
tell him to use regular pigeon transport at least they will know the ins and outs

There never used to be a prob. But if you did get a tug you would probably be delayed while the local RSPB got involved… I mean Germany & Belgium are still shipping racing pigeons all over the world,even to China.
A friend of mine shipped pigeons from Belgium by air to China 2 weeks ago. No probs.
Here is your local info centre on Pigeons

Animal Health Divisional Office,
Beacon House,
Staffordshire Technology Park,
Dyson Way,
Stafford
ST18 0AR

Tel: 01785 231900
Fax: 01785 231901

Email: AHO.H.Stafford@defra.gsi.gov.uk

from the DEFRA WEbsite

Pigeon races:

• A nominated person must be designated as the race organiser and responsible record keeper.
  • A record of the names, addresses, telephone numbers of entrants and ring numbers of pigeons must be kept for at least 3 months in case tracing is required.
  • A named veterinary surgeon must be contactable for advice in case of suspect disease or a welfare problem.
  • Individual pigeons should be inspected for signs of disease before being mixed with pigeons from other lofts in crates or transport containers.
  • Biosecurity advice must be distributed at the event.
  • Written contingencies, held by the nominated responsible person, must be available in the event of a disease incident at the event or nearby the event.
  • All litter and manure within the cages must be collected for disposal.
  • All litter and manure must be disposed of in a manner which does not present a risk of the spread of the disease.
  • All crates, baskets and pigeon containers used for transport, and holding birds prior to liberation must be cleansed and disinfected prior to and after the race.
  • For a race within the British Isles, birds returning to their loft more than 48 hours after the start of the race should be isolated for a minimum of 3 weeks. The period could be extended beyond 48 hours in exceptional circumstances such as where bad weather causes a delay to the return of a large number of birds. If in isolation, birds should be inspected regularly and any signs of ill health notified to a veterinary surgeon.
  • Other areas of the EU are deemed to be at a higher risk of introduction of HPAI than the United Kingdom. Therefore until further assessment has been made pigeon racing should not be permitted from Member States outside the geographical British Isles to GB.

The answer is No, the chocolate factories have a thing about hygiene. I heard about a girl who tried to take her dog in the cab to a factory in France.

Even though they eat horses (don’t they?) and allow dogs in any restaurants

Wheel Nut:
Even though they eat horses (don’t they?) and allow dogs in any restaurants

But not in food shops…and apparently not in dogfood factories :open_mouth: ,

but that might be for a different reason :wink: :unamused: