Biodiesel any one use it in a truck?

hello all just been whatching an old dragons den it had a firm who were useing Biodiesel any one on here use it? know any thing about it?
regards

plonevez du faou:
hello all just been whatching an old dragons den it had a firm who were useing Biodiesel any one on here use it? know any thing about it?
regards

You can use it instead of regular diesel, it’s great on your cornflakes as well.

When diesel price went crazy i did run my car on it for a while. All i can say is that “it ran on it” & that’s all. Roughly 44mpg down to 38.

Couple of friendly enough guys at my suppliers told me they had a customer running a newish Actros on it. Sadly i never got to meet him.

Good idea for a thread though. Pity you didn’t think of it when derv was at its height.

if your engine will run on bio ok…some fuel pumps dont like it especially lucas pumps…also you will need to change your fuel filter after about 1000 miles as bio cleans the fuel pipes and tank and dumps all the crud into the filter.after the 1000 miles should be ok but still best to carry a spare filter just in case.

Make sure you finish all the chips first, before you fill the tank :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

TAXI!!!

jayeastanglia:
if your engine will run on bio ok…some fuel pumps dont like it especially lucas pumps…also you will need to change your fuel filter after about 1000 miles as bio cleans the fuel pipes and tank and dumps all the crud into the filter.after the 1000 miles should be ok but still best to carry a spare filter just in case.

At last someone else who knows what it is - I’m sick of people arguing that the filter clogs up with bits of batter :smiling_imp:

I have run a number of cars on it (100%), and they all did better on fuel consumption, run better and pull better. As jayeastanglia said, you do need to change filters more often.

We had it in work mixed with the ordinary deisel (about 1:10) and because of the fuel filter problem Mercedes said that if we continued to use it they would charge extra for coming out to breakdowns. The lorries certainly ran OK on it, except when the filters were starting to clog :wink:

The deisel engine was originally designed to run on peanut oil.

bio cleans the fuel pipes and tank and dumps all the crud into the filter

so after a while when all the pipes and tank are clean will that stop the filter haveing to be replaced so often?

allso any one know the price of the stuff now to buy not make your own?

regards

Yes, once the filter has been changed at circa 1000 miles, it remains fairly clean after. In my experience with my car anyway.

gardun:
The deisel engine was originally designed to run on peanut oil.

Even if that’s true, it doesn’t tell you much about what’s suitable for a modern engine - the first diesel engines had a completely different injection scheme to a modern one, which involved atomising the fuel outside the cylinder.

Anything which can be made to burn by spraying it into very hot air could, in principle, be used to fuel something like a ‘diesel’ engine. I will offer a free beer to the first person who drives to my house in a truck with a diesel engine powered by either sawdust or icing sugar…

when i was on the bulk they had it to try and save money, it gels up in the winter and is near on impossible to get pumped into the truck, and iirc also lead to starting problems. like others say, the filters need changing more regulalry, and i know that not all the trucks would run on it, personally speaking, if i was an operator, i wouldnt bother, im certain my old boss has done away with it now as it caused too many problems

I think H Wragg Transport in Herefordshire run a few wagons on it. A snippet in CM from several months back. Also, I know Clive Price in Staffs has tried it in his Scanias.

If you can track them down, be worth a phone call.

A mate of mine told me he had loads of problems with it, So i spoke to his supplier.
The supplier told me that most of his customer won’t listen to his advice.

summer 80% biofuel 20% diesel.
winter 80% diesel 20% biofuel.

Stick to that, change your filter more often and it’s fine.

my mate obviously didn’t listen. :unamused:

limeyphil:
A mate of mine told me he had loads of problems with it, So i spoke to his supplier.
The supplier told me that most of his customer won’t listen to his advice.

summer 80% biofuel 20% diesel.
winter 80% diesel 20% biofuel.

Stick to that, change your filter more often and it’s fine.

my mate obviously didn’t listen. :unamused:

That’s good advice, although I was using 100% bio all year round. Never had a problem starting any of them, and never had any geling problems.

I will aslo add that I have run one of them on nothing but new vegetable oil straight from the drum. This also works perfectly, but there may be lubrication problems in the fuel pump in the long term, so it’s always best to use some mineral diesel.

Have a look at doctordiesel.co.uk for a lot of info - this guy knows his stuff. He put a new manual diesel pump into a V reg Astra after the old one died.