Bin lorry crash

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g … t-35367491

lots of ifs and buts.

But you can’t bring loved ones back

Dont know what they hope to achieve.The guy has no money.You cant get blood out of a stone.Its a very sad situation alround.

Lock him up. At least he won’t be going out in his car or going down the boozer to spend his dole.

PaulNowak:
Lock him up. At least he won’t be going out in his car or going down the boozer to spend his dole.

+1 if he had killed my family members it would be the least I expected.

I imagine the payback they’re after is justice not money. The guy didn’t intend or want to kill those people but he lied and knew he was likely to have this problem so why shouldn’t he take responsibility for his actions? If he gets off scot free what is to stop anyone else doing the same? Sure, some medical episodes are pretty much entirely unforeseen but this wasn’t one of them. Not sure what he would be prosecuted for though. Manslaughter or its equivalent must exist in Scotland.

He drove his car after they took his licence away. Doesn’t that show his blatant disregard for the law?

alamcculloch:
Dont know what they hope to achieve.The guy has no money.You cant get blood out of a stone.Its a very sad situation alround.

The fact that he has no assets is irrelevant - They are embarking on a private prosecution in the Criminal courts, not suing him in Civil court. If he is found guilty, the sentencing will be exactly the same as if the Crown had prosecuted him. Cash/compensation doesn’t enter into it (although if he is fined there will be a monetary sum involved - and if he fails to pay it he could be jailed for a week or two for non-payment). It’s about “justice” rather than recompense.

If the law had taken it’s just cause then this thread would not be here because that lowlife would have already been behind bars where he belongs ! And the idiot(s) who offered him immunity from prosecution should be in a cell next to his :unamused:

I know it’s off topic and all but does anyone know what happened with the young lad in the 8 legger who lost it in bath in the end?

Scraggy88:
I know it’s off topic and all but does anyone know what happened with the young lad in the 8 legger who lost it in bath in the end?

In court yesterday along with a director of the company various charges of death by dangerous driving and more,case sent to Crown court for hearing in February

This case has opened a can of worms around driver medicals. In my opinion the system is broken and needs a complete overhaul.
How can it be i can go to any qualified doctor to be declared medically fit to drive a truck \bus when he knows nothing about my medical history ?. It solely relies on the driver to be completely honest to a complete stranger.
Even the judge commented on this situation. I am aware that it is being proposed that before a doctor can declare you fit for driving he must have access to your medical history.
Another aspect is the charge that your GP makes to do your medical. I have heard some people being charged in excess of £150.
No wonder a lot of drivers like myself got online and got the same form filled in for around £50.

Scraggy88:

theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 … tzy-steady

My GP wanted £200 for the medical! I got it for £49.

This is not really related to the medical in my view. The guy knew he had a history of passing out, he had an accident previously, there is no way he should have been behind the wheel. He deserves all he gets.

My medicals price is fixed at £80 by the MCA (Maritime & Coastguard Agency) but I have to go a one of their approved doctors and although the medical is thorough there is still a tick box exercise for any ailments you may or may not know about, so still relying on the applicants honesty. But within the last couple of years it has now been made a criminal offence punishable by a £2000 fine or even imprisonment to knowingly obtain the medical by deception, ie lying through your teeth to get it !

Snudger:
I imagine the payback they’re after is justice not money. The guy didn’t intend or want to kill those people but he lied and knew he was likely to have this problem so why shouldn’t he take responsibility for his actions? If he gets off scot free what is to stop anyone else doing the same? Sure, some medical episodes are pretty much entirely unforeseen but this wasn’t one of them. Not sure what he would be prosecuted for though. Manslaughter or its equivalent must exist in Scotland.

I agree with you, to My way of thinking, he is no different to a drink driver, he knew he wasn’t fit to drive due to his earlier blackouts, same as a drink driver isn’t fit to drive due to intoxication :unamused: What does a drink driver get sentenced with, if they kill someone while driving, he should be given the same :imp:

ND888 BIGJ:
This case has opened a can of worms around driver medicals. In my opinion the system is broken and needs a complete overhaul.
How can it be i can go to any qualified doctor to be declared medically fit to drive a truck \bus when he knows nothing about my medical history ?. It solely relies on the driver to be completely honest to a complete stranger.
Even the judge commented on this situation. I am aware that it is being proposed that before a doctor can declare you fit for driving he must have access to your medical history.
Another aspect is the charge that your GP makes to do your medical. I have heard some people being charged in excess of £150.
No wonder a lot of drivers like myself got online and got the same form filled in for around £50.

My GP wanted £125, and I would have paid that, its only once in 5 years after all, but I wanted to be seen on a Saturday, and they wouldn’t do it. So I paid £54 for a doctor on wheels. :unamused:

alamcculloch:

+1
complete load of timewasting pish as previously stated in the original post that’s been flogged to death…right or wrong,itl only be a load of waffle and something to fill a page or 2 for the media…looks like were all going to be paying the solicitor fees by the quote from the bbc…A Scottish government spokeswoman said: “Scottish ministers have received further information in support of an application for public funding towards a private prosecution from lawyers acting on behalf of the families of the Glasgow Bin Lorry tragedy, and will now consider this closely.”…at least they are not wasting their own money.por immediate family but the crown has made the decision,so build a bridge and get over it.move on and stop flogging a dead horse, :unamused:

As far as i am aware , there has only ever been 2 private prosecutions in Scotland ( happy to be corrected if wrong )

One thing i am certain of , last one was in 1982. Nothing will come of this.

Its a terrible situation all round and feel for all concerned. Lets hope they can move on with their lives at some point and have some sort of normality again

Tommy is correct; "insufficient evidence in law to prove that a crime had been committed ":-

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g … t-35417384.