Billy Preston

No,not the singer,the one I’m thinking of originally came from Blackburn.
He used to live in Felixstowe,and has had more jobs than I’ve had hot dinners.

That said,he has had a lot of good jobs,including Estron in the early 90’s and also driving a White Road Commander for a Swiss firm in the mid 80’s.
He always had plenty of tales to tell and had been everywhere,which a lot of people doubted until he brought out his photo album showing pics of him in the middle east and other exotic locations.

When I first met him he was driving for George Davies on containers out of Felixstowe,and the last time I saw him he had an ex-TNT dutch spec DAF 95 rigid,again pulling containers,and was featured in T&D with it.That was in the mid 90’s,and nobody seems to know where he is nowadays or even if he’s still alive.

Does anyone on here know him,or has heard of him?

KW,
Sorry to ruin your weekend but I know Billy Whizz in fact I have known him since school days, first of all forget about what Billy tells and shows you more than likely the photos will be borrowed from people like me and have never been returned, did he show you any of when he was at ‘Walsh’s’? sorry mate they are all mine, yes Billy did do the middle east but with Geoff Drugan holding his hand,
What I will do is down load your message and send it off to my brother who still sees Billy gobbing off the same old stories in the local pubs and if he wants to get in contact he is rhen free to do so, personally I don’t want to be responsible for his murder :laughing:

No,I don’t want to get in touch with him!!!

I just wondered where he’d got to and where he was.
I always wondered about the stories he told,it seemed every job he’d had was the best ever,best money,best motor best work…well you know how he is.

He even turned up for a job at the company in Holland that I was working for at the time,claimed me and him were best buddies and I’d recommend him.
No chance! I told the boss to give him a wide berth!

I was also told by a dutch driver from Estron that Billy was supposed to go somewhere or another and didn’t want to go,so he drove down to P&O at Europoort and dumped the unit on the quay and bummed a ride back to Felixstowe without telling Estron.Another driver saw the unit parked there still the next day and it was then that Estron realised he’d upped and gone!

Are you the little bloke that used to knock around with him,maybe drove for Carters of Melton for a while■■?

KW,
I have known Billy from day one, long before Billy got behind the wheel of a lorry we both worked in the same paper mill. Like everything take it in small dose if it comes from Billy Preston, I have spoke to my brother today up in Lancashire to convey the message that the ‘Belgaik’ mafia are on his back, he will be ■■■■■■■■ himself after all the agents that have been ripped and the lorries dumped around Europe on the back of Billy, Carters of Melton not me me guv.The next time I post I will tell you about the night he did ■■■■ himself in the Routemaster, :slight_smile:

KW:
it seemed every job he’d had was the best ever,best money,best motor best work…well you know how he is.

that reminds me of a fair few blokes ive met over the years! then when they leave its the crappest job ever! :laughing:

Talking of romancers and dodgy characters reminded me of Tom Spike. I met him when he was recruited by Pete Farbrace who managed the Dover office of C.H.Howse from Gloucestershire. We used to bring a lot of chipboard back from Belgium on flats and then triple deck the empties back again. One day Tom joined the MI on that slip road that curves round northbound at the junction which used to be the bottom before it was extended to the North Circular. Going too fast he shipped the lot all over the slip and the road below. Closed it for hours. Some years later going north again he decided to stop off at Toddington at the last minute in pouring rain, jacknifed it right across 3 lanes and completely destroyed a Turkish artic in the 2nd lane. That motor was in the wreck area near the exit slip for a long time afterwards and I don’t know to this day how the Turk got out alive, but he did.
Anyway, years later again I saw Tom clearing in Dover and went over to catch up on old times. He completely blanked me denying he’d ever heard of himself :open_mouth: . I know it was him though, anyone else hear the name?

Salut, David.

hiya,
i know billy preston very well we had bedsits in a house in darwen about 1970ish we had been mates for years we never worked together but have worked at the same companies i’m quite a bit older than bill but he could do the job and i always found him ok i last saw him in 1972 would like to hear from him again i know where he lives but can’t get his phone no ex directory and can’t drive very far at the moment not too well.thanks harry long retired

I met Billy about once & he was on the beer. He did work for a cracking Swiss outfit for about 3 weeks & then jacked. The Swiss lads loved him ;he could out drink 'em & still have the energy to abuse the office staff in the morning. He had a booze up in Geneva with a couple of Swiss mates of mine & they named him Billy Pernod. :laughing:

hiya,
hello harry (snap) yep that sounds like billy years since we had a booze up but he could certainly put it away,thanks harry long retired