Bikers

Now bikers join the protest

timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u … 071480.ece

I was one of the bikers.
Went well, the police we were speaking to were on our side, they were fine.
Apart from a couple of pricks in their lorries with an Alf Garnett attitude (good coming from me!!) who spoiled it. Couple of lorries decided to crawl along instead of sticking to the police recommended minimum speed.
Tried telling these lorry drivers listen mate it doesn’t matter one iota if you do 20mph or 40mph, Gordon Brown is in London, the M62 doesn’t affect him, he doesn’t care what speed you do. The fact you are doing 20mph and not 40mph is not going to bring the price of fuel down!

Edit and add: I have just watched the video in the link above and every “beeping” and horn was in support, not frustration being caught in the traffic. Everyone was waving in support and shouting good luck, I didn’t see a single one in frustration.

fair play to them maybe more will join next time? well done the bikers.

400-500 bikers say the police, my arse! there was more there in that shot at the start than 500.

another point though…

why dont they get threatened with having thier licences being revoked like truckers do?

Like the girl said in that footage, Not sure it made any difference for that stretch of road!

Looked like a normal rush hour morning to me too.

Giblsa:
why dont they get threatened with having thier licences being revoked like truckers do?

Because the bikers today were not doing anything illegal. We were parked at the services, then riding along the motorway. There is no national MINIMUM speed limit in this country, you can drive or ride at 1mph on a motorway if you want.

A few years ago the trucks were blockading the fuel ports, they were causing an obstruction - illegal. Today was not blockading anything.

Ronaldo:
drive or ride at 1mph on a motorway if you want. want.

Thought it was min 50 MPH on M/ways?

you cant drive on a motorway at 1mph if its clear, and ive seen people been stopped on these police programs for not going fast enough, why else you think 50cc motorbikes arnt allowed on the motorways…

I don’t think there’s any specific law that states a minimum speed limit, but driving at 1mph on a clear motorway would obviously be dangerous / careless.

Koop:
Like the girl said in that footage, Not sure it made any difference for that stretch of road!

Looked like a normal rush hour morning to me too.

I went along that stretch at about 10.30 this morning - two hours after the bikers set off - and the road was still congested, although it was starting to clear.

Well done to all the protestors to date.

Now even the RHA want to get involved!!!

Limestone Cowboy:

about ■■■■ ing time too.

Koop:

Ronaldo:
drive or ride at 1mph on a motorway if you want. want.

Thought it was min 50 MPH on M/ways?

Now thats a scary prospect with the maximum being 70 and us limited to 56mph

I do believe there is a minimum, that is why tractors, invalid carriages and mopeds were not allowed.

Otherwise, the protest showed that people have had enough, whatever the girl said :exclamation:

surley it doesnt matter what speed you went.

if all protesters went in a convoy in the slow lane
at 40mph,
They could act as a barrier to stop people exiting the motorway.
Soon everyone would be force to stay n the motorway.

This would cause gridlock.

Road users would have to adjust their speed to join or leave the motorway.
which could take a very long time if there was 500 protesters all in convoy keeping the minimum distance between himself and the fellow protester, ,:idea:

1st of all - the minimum speed limit on a road of motorway standard in Britain is 30 mph and you, as HGV/LGV drivers should know that.

2nd point - well done to the bikers, every little helps as they say!

3rd The courier industry is organising a mass demonstration in all major cities within the next 3-4 weeks. See the link below

link4couriers.com/modules.ph … ic&t=17116

Oh happy days!

Limestone Cowboy:

Eh? The might not do much down South, but they (RHA Scotland) did organise a protest LAST December. It was a long drive without being able to smoke :wink::stuck_out_tongue:

STV 15th Dec 2007

I was out on my first day C+E training :laughing: and got on the telly.

(I did get the time back 1 to 1 on the Tuesday)

I’ve still got my “Fair Play on Fuel” stickers all over my other car…

zebadee:
1st of all - the minimum speed limit on a road of motorway standard in Britain is 30 mph and you, as HGV/LGV drivers should know that…

:confused: Sorry … confused … as far as I am aware the is No Legal Minimum speed limit on the motorway, :unamused: UNLESS it is posted in a blue circular sign with white numbering of the applicable minimum speed limit to be observed… and for the life of me im struggling to think of a current stretch that is so signed........ :unamused: I Do however await my corrective punishment if im wrong :exclamation:

zebadee:
1st of all - the minimum speed limit on a road of motorway standard in Britain is 30 mph and you, as HGV/LGV drivers should know that.

There is no minimum speed limit on motoways, as there are many circustances whereby you would drive t less than 30mph on a motorway, However if you were seen to be driving at slow speed for no reason you could be asked to leave the motorway at the next junction ( which has happened to a driver i know) or it could be deemed as careless driving.