Bike helmet

I recently moved on to a housing estate as opposed to a terraced house before that so the kids could not really go out and play with their friends in the area.

So now i can let my 7 year old boy out in the surrounding area on his bike i have always tought him to wear a bike helmet but now as he goes out to play with older kids they are taking the ■■■■ because he seems to be the only one with a helmet on and he came to me and said they were slagging him off and asked nicely if he could not wear it.

I said yes as A: he had asked very nicely and B i was bullied when i was younger.

So did i do the right thing?.

An answewr from any other concerned parents would be nice.

I wouldnt Jammy.

I had to ride a trike till I was 12 because of my illness, I also had to wear a crash helmet. People tried to take the ■■■■■ I ignored them, but when I lost my leg calipers, it was hard because they were a good weapon against school bullies.

Wheel Nut:
I wouldnt Jammy.

I had to ride a trike till I was 12 because of my illness, I also had to wear a crash helmet. People tried to take the [zb], I ignored them, but when I lost my leg calipers, it was hard because they were a good weapon against school bullies.

I DONT THINK THATS GOT ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT YOUR ILLNESS I THINK YOU DID THE RIGHT THING HERE AS LONG HAS HE HAS GOT GOOD ROAD SENSE ANY WAY (I,E IF HE GOES ON THE ROAD HE SHOULD WEAR IT) BUT I HAVE TAUGHT ME SON TO GET OFF HIS BIKE AND WALK HIS BIKE ACROSS THE ROAD :question:

no you didn’t
you must make him wear it
explain to him what could happen if he didn’t wear it and who is the sensible smart boy for wearing it
if my kid’s go out on their bikes no matter how much stick they get I always insist they have their helmets on

pam

mrs mix:
no you didn’t
you must make him wear it
explain to him what could happen if he didn’t wear it and who is the sensible smart boy for wearing it
if my kid’s go out on their bikes no matter how much stick they get I always insist they have their helmets on

pam

:unamused:

I too would make him wear it, as Pam has said try explaining to him what would happen if he didn’t wear it.

To me, if he doesn’t wear it, and was knocked off his bike by someone that was silly enough to be driving too fast then his injuries could be worse than if he didn’t wear it, but this is my view.

If, and when Becky has a bike, then she’ll have a helmet, no matter how silly she thinks she looks, as I don’t want to end up being told that she’s been knocked off her bike and is in hospital because of it, and I don’t want to end up feeling guilt because I didn’t make her wear one.

Right, I’m off my soapbox now

samb:
Isomeone that was silly enough to be driving too fast

Thats all of us then!!, i dont think anyone can truthfully say they dont speed.

I know what your saying and i dread not making him wear it but i was bullied when i was younger so its the better of 2 evils he seems to not get the ■■■■ taken out of him so much without his helmet on but i do worry about it.

However i didnt wear a helmet when i was younger as im sure most of you did, and i distinctly remember bouncing off a car windscreen when i was younger after crashing in to front of it and im still here, im not trying to defend it i just think being bullied is one of the worst things to happen to a child.

Hes 7 and he can cross a road no problem on his own ( never unsupervised) usually watched from a distance or spied on from round a corner, his road sense is very good for his age.

My kids always wore their helmets. Apart from the safety aspect it is also a local law that the cops enforce in our town.Though in Connecticut, the next state up from me, you can ride a motorbike without a helmet.
I suppose it comes down to our responsiblity for taking care of minors.

Longwayround:
I suppose it comes down to our responsiblity for taking care of minors.

I have to agree with that last statement.
Much as it feels like you’re being a “Nanny State” Jammy, it only takes one idiot in the wrong place at the wrong time.