Big Momma is no more

Get well soon bear.

I’ve just been diagnosed with arthritis in both knees, hopefully i can put off knee replacement for as long as possible, i’m only 43!! :frowning:

The Highway Man:
I’ve just been diagnosed with arthritis in both knees, hopefully i can put off knee replacement for as long as possible, i’m only 43!! :frowning:

Because of the time they last, 10 years only apparrently, they don’t like doing them until you are 60 then they hope you die before you need another pair lol
If you get offered the chance, take it because your knees will just get worse and worse as mine have done.
For the first time in my life, I am doing as I am told … the exercises etc. It still hurts but all of a sudden, each day that passes the pain nis easing a tad. I had to phone the quack last Tuesday as I was climbing the walls in pain and got some stronger painkillers. Since then things have become easier.
It was only 2 weeks ago Monday it was done but I have am getting around the kitchen ok with just the one crutch. Have been told I have to use them for 6 weeks so 6 weeks it will be when I go out.
The next fun and games comes on Tuesday when I have to go to the Doctors to have the staples out. I got just over 40 in and I just know it is gonna hurt LOL

Well, it is now just over 4 weeks since my op and I am as happy as harry!! Yes, the first three weeks are a killer. I am still getting pain now but it is understandable when you consider this is classed as a major op and what the innards of my knee have gone through. My quad muscle still ‘aches’ and I am still taking the painkillers under the instruction of the doctors.
But I am walking the best I have in years!! I have been told by the physios down my local hospital I am doing really well (I was surprised at that as I didn’t think I was). I get picked up by the local ambulance service twice a week for physio.
I have to use two crutches if I go out the house still but indoors where I can use furniture as a support, I only use one and sometimes none. I am walking far better already after just 4 weeks than I was before the op and wifey says it is the best she has seen me walk in years. The scar is nice and neat if a bit wonky lol
To anyone that ever gets offered this op, then go for it. Yep, the first few weeks you are in a lot of pain but believe me, it s worth it in the long run.
Mind you, as to whether I am going to have the other one done … I really don’t know!! Can I take another 3-4 weeks of pain like that?? I don’t think so so I am going to hold back on having the other one done til it is absolutely neccessary.

Only just seen this thread, glad it went well. All the best and hopefully see you up the road again one day.

These ops must affect everyone different, as Nellie a bloke who drinks in my local had both knees done three weeks ago and is now walking without sticks, a little steady, but walking none the less, he is driving but been told he should wait until 6 weeks.

On the other hand I had my left hip done in March / April and still using Codeine and Paracetamol when necessary. My first right hip operation was done in early 2000 so I am probably on borrowed time with that one, it pains me again and I have to go for another CAT scan in January.

Good luck with your recovery Bear, and hope you soon get back behind the wheel, but no jumping on hard surfaces from a fridge trailer :smiling_imp:

To be honest, I think I could walk without sticks BUT I was told to use them for 6 weeks so what is the point of mucking the op up by being Billy smartass and walking without them? I would love to get into the car and go out just to get out of the house but they have said 4-6 weeks and so that’s it. By the way, did you know you are supposed to inform your car insurance company that you have had this op?? It might be that Nellie could find himself uninsured if he has an accident.

TheBear:
To be honest, I think I could walk without sticks BUT I was told to use them for 6 weeks so what is the point of mucking the op up by being Billy smartass and walking without them? I would love to get into the car and go out just to get out of the house but they have said 4-6 weeks and so that’s it. By the way, did you know you are supposed to inform your car insurance company that you have had this op?? It might be that Nellie could find himself uninsured if he has an accident.

He maybe forgot :laughing:

Pleased all is going to plan Bear & you are right you should take some notice of the Dr as think they have been doing this for a bit :laughing: :laughing:

I know mine is slightly different but I have taken notice & it seem to be working

Good luck

Wheel Nut:

TheBear:

He maybe forgot :laughing:

Thats funny cos I have forgotten to too :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

not bothering my knees yet but my hips are showing signs of getting grumpy , and i do suffer back trouble … its all the jumping you see , i should stop that …

Well, it is now 7 weeks down the line and I couldn’t be happier!!
Was at the hospital Wednesday and spent a good 15-20 minutes with the surgeon (I was his last case of the day) and he was really pleased with my progress. Obviously doing exactly what I was told has worked as I now use no crutches indoors and am nearly walking normally. I have finally driven the car and that was ok. The best bit was being told by the surgeon that if I keep progressing as I am I should be fit for work in less than the 6 months he originally stated. I have another appointment at the end of March and he may clear me then. Just in time for the warmer weather :smiley:
I won’t say I am clear of pain cos that would be wrong … it is more of an ache now and with the continued use of painkillers, it is bearable.

All I will say to anyone that has the prospect of this op in the near future …go for it BUT be prepared for 4 weeks of hell after the op.

TheBear:
Well, it is now 7 weeks down the line and I couldn’t be happier!!
Was at the hospital Wednesday and spent a good 15-20 minutes with the surgeon (I was his last case of the day) and he was really pleased with my progress. Obviously doing exactly what I was told has worked as I now use no crutches indoors and am nearly walking normally. I have finally driven the car and that was ok. The best bit was being told by the surgeon that if I keep progressing as I am I should be fit for work in less than the 6 months he originally stated. I have another appointment at the end of March and he may clear me then. Just in time for the warmer weather :smiley:
I won’t say I am clear of pain cos that would be wrong … it is more of an ache now and with the continued use of painkillers, it is bearable.

All I will say to anyone that has the prospect of this op in the near future …go for it BUT be prepared for 4 weeks of hell after the op.

Well done and just in time for Christmas, although yours is a more complicated operation, knees seem to work so much better afterwards. I am back on Wednesday for more investigations into my old hip replacement as that one seems to be suffering now. The problem with having one done at a time is that we tend to favour the old one. I did and now suffer from it. Another problem for the orthopaedics is deciding where the pain is, knees and hips give similar symptoms in the same places.

Don’t come in this forum too often so only just seen this. Very helpful, thanks. I’m 33 and I am that invincible man, jumping and leaping all over the shop. You’ve certainly made me stop and think.

The man from Del Monte, he say YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Big Momma (bless our fitter, he said he wouldn’t take the decal off til he knew what was happening with me) is parked up down the road with me lickle Tiggers hanging in the window and all ready to roll tomorrow morning at 0500!!

To say I am happy is putting it mildly … I never thought I would be so glad to get back to work LOLOL

It has been exactly 20 weeks since the op … I am not using sticks or any assistance at any time. I can climb stairs normally without hanging onto the handrail. I can climb in and out of the cab without a risk of falling. Yes, my knee still ‘aches’ and swells like a balloon if I do ‘too much’ but I am just so joyous to be free and able to do things again, I don’t care. I still use painkillers at least once a day when needed.

So if anyone sees Big Momma pulling a tanker bouncing up the M40 and M6 towards Manchester tomorrow and wonder why the idiot behind the wheel has such a stupid grin on his face, you’ll know why :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

That is some really good news very pleased for you

Good luck hope all goes well :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hi bear nice to hear your back driving just seen your post are you still trucking :smiley:

Nice one bear. I’ll keep my eye out for you. 

JB:
Nice one bear. I’ll keep my eye out for you. 

Welcome back Jon. :smiley: How’s your [zb] ? :laughing:

Been back at work 10 weeks now and the painkillers are in my locker but rarely get used. I am skipping up and down the ladder on the tanker and it is just so much joy to be able to walk properly again. I climb stairs without hanging onto the handrail though take it easy going down.
I still have doubts about the ability of the joint to abosrb shocks and have been a bit nervous about putting pressure on it but this week I actually jumped down from a trailer and felt no pain, a first, believe me. Only tabs I take now are Diclofenic as an anti inflammatory when needed.