Big brown pants moment. A13

weeto:

albion1938:

tachograph:
That stationary lorry was visible from a long way off.

I hate to think what the unit driver was doing to get get so close without seeing a stationary artic :unamused:

■■■■ poor driving by everyone concerned, including the driver of the vehicle with the dash cam who himself had to take last minute avoidance action :frowning:

+1 All three drivers should have seen that coming. Very lucky it wasn’t a lot worse, I’m surprised that luton didn’t go over into the oncoming traffic.
Bernard

All 3? Looking at the vid the van did the right thing, he moved across to give the unit some room to pass, but since it was being driven by a complete ■■■■, he need a lot more space to pass, in fact look at it again and you will notice he just clipped the trailer and took a chunk out the corner of the cab! No was only 1 driver who never saw it coming!

Yes poor driving by all three drivers involved.

To his credit the van driver did move over a bit, but knowing that there was a stationary lorry in front he would have been much better moving over to lane three well before reaching the stationary lorry.

The driver of the vehicle with the dash cam pulled out after the unit did and consequently had to pull out sharpish to avoid the same fate as the unit driver, given that the obstacle was clearly visible as he went round the bend in the road he had no reason to need to move out at the last minute.

Obviously only one of the drivers was responsible for the accident, and the van driver was more aware of what was happening than the other two, but they were all driving like bloody amateurs in my opinion.

“…Big wheels keep on turning…” Pretty apt really.

jayseabea:
My point is that there is no wriggle room when a mistake is made, and there always will be mistakes made.

But the road is still the same width regardless

weeto:
in fact look at it again and you will notice he just clipped the trailer and took a chunk out the corner of the cab! No was only 1 driver who never saw it coming!

… & the n/s mirrors - mirror arm

With 20/20 hindsight we would all pull out to avoid the broken down Artic. I wonder how many of you geniuses saw it the first time you watched the clip?

Try watching it again and instead of looking at the Unit, look ahead at what looks like a motor home with a car attached. That too misjudged the position of the broken down Artic and just manages to avoid it.

I did a lot of work with a group on the subject of perceptual distortion, the brain filters out what it doesn’t perceive is important and this clip helps explain it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

Could each driver have thought it was in a Layby and simply filtered if out?

I seen the gorilla first time but counted 13 passes lol

iDriver:
With 20/20 hindsight we would all pull out to avoid the broken down Artic. I wonder how many of you geniuses saw it the first time you watched the clip?

Try watching it again and instead of looking at the Unit, look ahead at what looks like a motor home with a car attached. That too misjudged the position of the broken down Artic and just manages to avoid it.

I did a lot of work with a group on the subject of perceptual distortion, the brain filters out what it doesn’t perceive is important and this clip helps explain it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

Could each driver have thought it was in a Layby and simply filtered if out?

How many people saw the stationary vehicle first time on a computer monitor is irrelevant, as is some film of a gorilla appearing when you’re concentrating on several people passing a ball.

As for the brain filtering out what’s not deemed as important, if you’re driving a large vehicle, or any vehicle for that matter, anything that’s parked at the side of the road should be regarded as important enough to pay some attention to, frankly anyone who sees a lorry at the side of the road in the distance and just assumes it’s in a lay-by and nothing to bother about shouldn’t be driving large vehicles on public roads.

I’m not sure if you’re trying to make excuses for the unit driver or everyone involved, but the simple fact is that everyone involved in that video should have been aware of a potential obstacle and acted accordingly, with the exception of the van driver none of them did, and even the van driver who appears to be the only one who was looking ahead could have done more to help the situation, not that it would have made much difference but …

It’s not a matter of being a genius, it’s a matter of looking at what’s going on around you, and at-least two people in that video wasn’t.

tachograph:
That stationary lorry was visible from a long way off.

I hate to think what the unit driver was doing to get get so close without seeing a stationary artic :unamused:

■■■■ poor driving by everyone concerned, including the driver of the vehicle with the dash cam who himself had to take last minute avoidance action :frowning:

Whole heartily agree.

weeto:
All 3? Looking at the vid the van did the right thing, he moved across to give the unit some room to pass, but since it was being driven by a complete ■■■■, he need a lot more space to pass, in fact look at it again and you will notice he just clipped the trailer and took a chunk out the corner of the cab! No was only 1 driver who never saw it coming!

Pause the video at 31 seconds and see if you think the van moved over enough.

ajt:

weeto:

the van hadn’t even got out of the second lane when the unit was already swerving out. also looking at the video if the van wasn’t there with the violence of the swerve by the unit it looks like he may have gone into the central reservation

Smoggie89:
I seen the gorilla first time but counted 13 passes lol

LOL! :sunglasses: you been reading Striker? :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

^^Exactly. If the van had of realised what was going on he would have pulled out into the outside lane and the tractor unit the middle lane.

tachograph:
As for the brain filtering out what’s not deemed as important, if you’re driving a large vehicle, or any vehicle for that matter, anything that’s parked at the side of the road should be regarded as important enough to pay some attention to, frankly anyone who sees a lorry at the side of the road in the distance and just assumes it’s in a lay-by and nothing to bother about shouldn’t be driving large vehicles on public roads.

That’s why I hate it when people have their hazards on when parked in a layby.

ajt:
^^Exactly. If the van had of realised what was going on he would have pulled out into the outside lane and the tractor unit the middle lane.

Very true, you, I and many other people on here would have been out into lane 3 much earlier but this is the basic standard of British motorists we are talking about here. He’s probably been in that lane all the way from Basildon to Barking.

ajt:

weeto:

So, you are saying the gap wasn’t wide enough for the unit to pass the broken down vehicle along side the van? Looks plenty wide enough to me!
Don’t think it would of mattered where that van was, it would have still been hit!

ajt:

weeto:

Double post

weeto:

ajt:

weeto:

So, you are saying the gap wasn’t wide enough for the unit to pass the broken down vehicle along side the van? Looks plenty wide enough to me!
Don’t think it would of mattered where that van was, it would have still been hit!

Wide enough to fit yes, wide enough to be safe absolutely no chance. The van never moved till the last few seconds. Anyone with a ounce of common sense would not be hogging a lane in that situation. They would be out fully in the opposite lane.

broken down driver should have put out a warning triangle ,it was obvious something might hit him.

watching it on that dashcam I didn’t see that broken down truck either, I think it blended in to the hedgerow, weird. Looking at what was loaded on the thing, the guy running bob tail was very lucky, that would have killed him if he’d hit.
I totally agree though, a Triangle 50-100 metres behind broken down truck is a must

weeto:

ajt:

weeto:

He didn’t see it in time, clearly. He reacted in a panic. Hence the oversteering into the van.

Why he didn’t see it only the driver can say.