biffa wages.

Does anyone know what the money is like working for biffa on class 2
Thanks
Tonyb

heard rumours around £25k, thats in devon. dont know how accurate that is but i think they are pretty well paid for class 2 day drivers, that was driving dustcarts, not sure on skips or anyting else they do.

I have a couple of mates who crew a 6 wheeler glass collection truck for Biffa…they reckon the money is very good (These lads don’t stick it long if it’s not a good crack and they’ve been there a few years now! :wink: ).

brother in law works on the bins for biffa picked up at seven am usually home by around 3pm. doesnt drive though if he works a bank holiday is gets 5 days pay! and day in lieu, hes been there for nearly 20 years.

Just had this years pay rise 4.7%, class 2 £10 an hour (45hrs guarented) plus bonuses (differs from depot to depot), sat £12.30 hr (5hrs guarented) sun - bank hol £15 hr (bank hol 9hrs guarented but MUST work 2 of them)

Ive heard its a load of rubbish

Sorry I could not resist it :blush: :blush:

Shrek:
I have a couple of mates who crew a 6 wheeler glass collection truck for Biffa…they reckon the money is very good (These lads don’t stick it long if it’s not a good crack and they’ve been there a few years now! :wink: ).

got to agree with shreik that a lot of longs drivers have gone there with better wages than 3 nights out with longs.

Big Jules:
Just had this years pay rise 4.7%, class 2 £10 an hour (45hrs guarented) plus bonuses (differs from depot to depot), sat £12.30 hr (5hrs guarented) sun - bank hol £15 hr (bank hol 9hrs guarented but MUST work 2 of them)

What depot is that big jules.
I bet the depot by me is £6.50 an hour flat rate knowing my luck.

Tonyb

The £10 p/h is nationwide. The bonus scheme is what differs.

Limestone Cowboy:
The £10 p/h is nationwide. The bonus scheme is what differs.

As said above, the main rates are set with agreement between the company and the unions so are across the board, bonuses depend on how tight your manager is and what type of truck your driving, For pure example skip drivers could be on £9 a day and dustcart drivers £15 or £20 a day but i did hear the next depot along from us pays there dustcart drivers £25 a day but only hearsay.

not forgetting that we down in the south get a southeast allowance ( a whooping £10 a week extra) and the company has a very very good pension scheme

The other thing is that all compaction drivers (dustcart, front end loader etc etc) must start at 5am so usually done around 2pm, all others 6am start.

Its not unusual to see men that have been on there for donkeys years, people do come and go but i find there the ones that think the grass is always greener (never is though) and always try to get back on.

Oh nearly forgot the sick pay after 3rd day is around £50 a day and holiday pay is £90 a day (start on 21 days going upon a escalator over 12 years to 26 days)

I’m looking forward to getting the info through.
Why they can’t give you the details over the phone is beyond me.

Tonyb

tonyb70:
I’m looking forward to getting the info through.
Why they can’t give you the details over the phone is beyond me.

Tonyb

They dont, when i had my interview the manager told me the minimum i could earn not the maximum which made a change, nothing worse than being told the maximum and starting job to find you get nothing near it.

We had a dustcart driver who loved overtime (hung it out 12hr days) he was on nearly £35k a year

If it is £10 an hour gaurentee for 45 hours a week that would be ok as a basic as i would’nt be using any petrol.
I’m spending £20 a week now which is more like £30 a week out of my pay packet before the taxman has his bit to fund the dole dodgers.

Are they ok to work for.What is the maintence like on the vehicles?

Tony b

Anybody know anything about a firm called EWC HGV 2 skip driving ■■ my friend is thinking of going for a job with them , any info would be greatful .

tonyb70:
If it is £10 an hour gaurentee for 45 hours a week that would be ok as a basic as i would’nt be using any petrol.
I’m spending £20 a week now which is more like £30 a week out of my pay packet before the taxman has his bit to fund the dole dodgers.

Are they ok to work for.What is the maintence like on the vehicles?

Tony b

Depends from depot to depot, obviously you will be the spare driver for a while driving different trucks, but each type i.e skip, roll on/off, dustcart etc etc you will be trained on first before they set you loose which is good as you will workout for yourself which one you would prefer to do in the long run.

Our depot services the truck once a month and if you do a defect it is usually done that night or they come out to you depending on the seriousness of it, Biffa is very much health and safety concious, we cant even jump up on the back to clean camera lense we have to use a wash brush which is kept on the truck, wheel nuts MUST be retightened once a week or at the end of the shift if the tyres been changed during the day.

All in all as its been mentioned before Biffa has a lot of long term employees which says alot, but dont forget if you get on the dustcarts it very physical work so if your a lazy bugger you wont last long (then skips might suit you :wink: :wink: ) i have spent most of my time doing european trucking and this was my first uk job, in hindsight i would of done it earlier if i had known as its a good firm with very good pay and pension, i would have to say if you only have to walk there then your going to get a result

Big Jules

I dont mind grafting.At the moment i’m night shunting in a normal road unit.I spend all night climbing,and winding legs up and down and pulling curtains in all weathers.so it wo’nt be too much of a culture shock.

If you’ve any more info i’d be very grateful.
Many thanks
Tonyb

tonyb70:
Big Jules

I dont mind grafting.At the moment i’m night shunting in a normal road unit.I spend all night climbing,and winding legs up and down and pulling curtains in all weathers.so it wo’nt be too much of a culture shock.

If you’ve any more info i’d be very grateful.
Many thanks
Tonyb

Not much more to tell really.if you live walking distance from depot and your wanting me to say go for it then:

GO FOR IT i would in your shoes :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I got the application today,so it will be handed back in tomorrow.He’s seny out 20 applications already.So i won’t build my hopes up.

Tonyb

thecoder0:
Ive heard its a load of rubbish

Sorry I could not resist it :blush: :blush:

Another reputation TRASHED!!!

Sorry :blush: :blush:

wirralpete:
brother in law works on the bins for biffa picked up at seven am usually home by around 3pm. doesnt drive though if he works a bank holiday is gets 5 days pay! and day in lieu, hes been there for nearly 20 years.

doesnt drive, so say gets £6 normally… works bank hol, gets 5X 6 £30 a hour!!! and a day in lieu :laughing:
just checking my calendar to see what the date is… mmm ot april the 1st… maybe ive been on the glue :unamused: