Bewick's fuel deliveries [Split from Eddie Stobarts Tanker.]

Hi Dennis, Being so close to the Fina depot on Mintsfeet, I d have thought you d have given them trade.
Wasn t the name Gilbraith not Galbraith, or have you been inhaling the amber nectar ` tonight ?
Cheers, cattle wagon man.

cattle wagon man:
Hi Dennis, Being so close to the Fina depot on Mintsfeet, I d have thought you d have given them trade.
Wasn t the name Gilbraith not Galbraith, or have you been inhaling the amber nectar ` tonight ?

Slip of the tongue ,slip of the tongue!!! You’d be suprised how few firms are willing to deal with you when you are only 20!!! “Limping Harry” of Andrew Browns and “Scouse Charlie” at Tyre Services both told me to more-or-less get lost at the time,but believe you me they came to regret it!! I think it is called “poetic justice”! But they thought it was me that was being difficult and I should just forget about the time years before when they gave me grief for no reason!! Not likely,every time they sent their “emmisaries” they got an “earful” I dealt with those that had looked after me when I was in a small way and they could get “stuffed” now when our account was worth having!! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

cattle wagon man:

Slip of the tongue ,slip of the tongue!!! You’d be suprised how few firms are willing to deal with you when you are only 20!!! “Limping Harry” of Andrew Browns and “Scouse Charlie” at Tyre Services both told me to more-or-less get lost at the time,but believe you me they came to regret it!! I think it is called “poetic justice”! But they thought it was me that was being difficult and I should just forget about the time years before when they gave me grief for no reason!! Not likely,every time they sent their “emmisaries” they got an “earful” I dealt with those that had looked after me when I was in a small way and they could get “stuffed” now when our account was worth having!! Cheers Dennis.

Good on ya Dennis,there’s too many of these companies that look down their nose at someone starting out in business.Serves them right when they get told where to go,when the said small business get bigger and they come sniffing around.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:

cattle wagon man:

Good on ya Dennis,there’s too many of these companies that look down their nose at someone starting out in business.Serves them right when they get told where to go,when the said small business get bigger and they come sniffing around.
Cheers Dave.

Dave ,youv’e no idea the “pain” I gave these two firms, Tyre Services directors (Good-Year) used to call on me begging for us to deal with them! and I would tell them that as long as that--------- was manager at Kendal they could get stuffed! They even made arrangements for the Penrith depot to service our needs,and the Penrith manager was a right decent bloke who got promotionIIRC,but once the “nasty taste” is in your mouth you can’t get rid of it!! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:

cattle wagon man:

Cheers Dave.

Dave ,youv’e no idea the “pain” I gave these two firms, Tyre Services directors (Good-Year) used to call on me begging for us to deal with them! and I would tell them that as long as that--------- was manager at Kendal they could get stuffed! They even made arrangements for the Penrith depot to service our needs,and the Penrith manager was a right decent bloke who got promotionIIRC,but once the “nasty taste” is in your mouth you can’t get rid of it!! Cheers Dennis.

Quite right Dennis,stick to your principles,not that I need to tell you.A lot more of the younger generation need to practice the hard line approach to some of these firms,they might get a bit more respect.
Cheers Dave.

Hi i read somewhere on this thread that stobarts deliver fuel for tesco, I have not watched the tv series about them so i dont know if its true. Here in scotland tdg have had the tesco fuel contract for years,Then i heard today that tdg have been taken over by norbert dentressangle, Wonder if stobart will take over up here as well.Tdg have sold the depot in grangemouth where the tesco tankers parked up then i heard they were moving the tanker fleet to tesco Livingston but when i passed the old tdg yard there were 3 tanks still parked in the workshop yard.

Bewick:
Ignoring the totally inapropiate title of the thread( although “the Fast One” RIP could give us all a lesson on “buying Derv”) I started thinking about my first fuel suppliers!!! When I started with one motor there was only one local fuel supplier who would deal with a “scroat like what I was” and that was Brook & Rees Ltd. the GULF A.D. of Carnforth who supplied me with a 600 gal tank and fittings.bearing in mind I was only 100yds. from Galbraiths ESSO depot on Shap Rd. at the time!(But they got told to take “a running jump” many times over the coming years from 1968!!!) Anyway from 500gal a month as we grew to taking 2500 gal full tanker loads from Brook & Rees as well as Gulf Lube oils we got to a point in circa 1973 when Gulf Oil decided they should deal direct and at a keener price.We then enjoyed about 5years of buying from Gulf Oil( although I had started to use Shell derv and lube oil as well) In late '78 Gulf withdrew from the UK and we carried on with Shell and then when the split with BP came about we dealt with both of them.Shell tried desperatley to get me onto a “sole supplier” contract until there was the shell tanker drivers strike ,which scuppered the “sole supplier” deal!!! Thats why afterwards I always had my fuel coming from 2 or 3 terminals!! Getting back to Gulf Oil,when they delivered direct from Ellesmere Port I did a deal with them to take my deliveries on their night shift(first job) and for a discount which was well worth my while to meet the tanker in the depot at 10/11 o’clock at night!! Our storage at the time was a 6000gal tank with a 4000gal over the top,which we dropped into the one below.Gulf used to send a “reet” nice Guy Big J 8 wheeler,single drive,150 Gardner,with 17000 litres of derv,straight into the top tank.That Guy was like a little sowing machine,smooth as silk!!! It was a pleasure to watch it pump off,and the driver’s liked the drop,waist height connection,plenty of room in the tank and I saved myself abot £100 IIRC for 45 minutes or thereabouts,work!!Interesting days!! Cheers Dennis.

I remember the tanks thats how it used to be say no more .Vic .

Wheel Nut:

v7victor:
Hi dennis,we have talked about this somewhere before,mind you that old guy Brett was a grand bloke ,and like yourself had time chat,unlike the reps on the east side they were more likely to look down on the drivers, Vic.P.S. the heading is’nt the best eh.

Maybe Diesel Dave as ex industry, could split this thread from the top of page three, from V7Victors post and call it Bewicks Fuel Supplies or something. It is misleading as Stobart and Fuel Tankers do not normally go together.

There are several tanker threads that this would flow into quite easily. See how I did that? :wink:

Hi Malc,

Yes, I saw how you did that. :wink:

I’ve taken your suggestion, but to discharge these posts from the Eddie Stobart topic, I used a pump and the vapour balance method after commissioning a vessel that will hold this new topic.

:bulb: I think it’s a great opportunity for us tanker types to get a customer’s perspective from Dennis, so let’s keep it going and I’ll keep an eye on the ullage. :grimacing:

Anyone doing anything,if they havent got common sence should not be doing any job,if it is from flat work,curtainsiders or Tank work.it doesnt matter what it is if you dont have it dont do it.All this crap about health and safety.The main thing they should be teaching kids in school is common sence.In Canada here people have the right of way from cars and the last time we came back to England we had one of the Kids friends with usand she was nearly killed i dont know how many times because she would just walk out into the path of cars.That is the problem nowadays no one seems to have any common sence,i work in a coal mine now and drink and drugs are a no no,but a bag of drugs was found one the floor of the changing rooms the other day and all hell was let loose,i dont know what it will take for people nowadays to get it into there heads ie (common sence)!!!.

scaniaontheroad:
Anyone doing anything,if they havent got common sence should not be doing any job,if it is from flat work,curtainsiders or Tank work.it doesnt matter what it is if you dont have it dont do it.All this crap about health and safety.The main thing they should be teaching kids in school is common sence.In Canada here people have the right of way from cars and the last time we came back to England we had one of the Kids friends with usand she was nearly killed i dont know how many times because she would just walk out into the path of cars.That is the problem nowadays no one seems to have any common sence,i work in a coal mine now and drink and drugs are a no no,but a bag of drugs was found one the floor of the changing rooms the other day and all hell was let loose,i dont know what it will take for people nowadays to get it into there heads ie (common sence)!!!.

Sorry about the rant,but just get fed up with all this health and safety crap nowadays,when i started driving i hauled milk tanks then over the years i hauled solvent tankers,a hell of a difference in loads and we got no training,but as a lad that grew up on a farm we had to think for ourselves if we didnt our old man would kick our arse!

Poetic justice was served!! When I replaced our 10,000 gal Derv storage with a purpose built unit nearly twice the capacity,we could get just about 3 artic loads in and the tank was chocker.We also had a 3000 gravity tank inside the workshop in case of power cuts.So once a month or so we’d put the odd pot into the gravity tank to keep it circulating.Anyway this paricular morning a Shell/Stanlow/Contractor/ Scouse combination pulled in along side the bulk tank which I knew was going to “borderline” as to wether it would all go in.So I tells Scouse,we would probably have to put a pot in the inside tank.He then gets coupled up and starts pumping off and I remind him again to watch it as I didn’t think it would all go in! “No problem Wack I’ll keep a close eye on it” and he settles down in the cab with his coffee and Daily Mirror,with his feet up!!! His open cab window was right in line with the the Mushroom!!! so you can guess what happened next!!! It may have been 20 minutes or so,maybe half an hour,I can’t remember,but I can remember the noise of Scouse screaming his head off and dancing around like a scalded cat absolutely soaked in Diesel not only him but the inside of his motor was dripping as well.I said “serves you right you silly Scouse person!!”.He was absolutely blazing,but it was his own stupid fault and I endorsed his notes accordingly!! Apparently they loved it at the terminal,couldn’t have happened to a nicer driver they rekoned!!! I showed the Shell rep the mess the idiot had made and IIRC they gave us a barrel of anti-freeze FOC to compensate!! But it was well worth it as I split my sides it was hilarious at the time!! Cheers Dennis.

Dennis did the scouser not get the ullage box signed before he had it over the top! tut-tut.vic.

v7victor:
Dennis did the scouser not get the ullage box signed before he had it over the top! tut-tut.vic.

By the state he was in Vic he could have just crawled out of the ullage box!!! Cheers Dennis.

hmmm,Shell/Stanlow/Scouse,I would liked to of seen that!!!Vic.

v7victor:
hmmm,Shell/Stanlow/Scouse,I would liked to of seen that!!!Vic.

I should have liked to sit in on the interview, do they call them debriefs now because they are going to have your pants down?