Bewick Tractor units through the years

Money well spent IMO, Bewicks motors allways looked the part, & allways clean & tidy whenever I saw them, Regards Larry PS The sheeting & roping was average Eh, Ha Ha, Regards Larry.

Don’t know why but I always preferred the Atki against the ERF. I got an 8 legger new at Fred Chappels in 1962, 150 gardner and a 6 speed DB. I spent many happy hours in that AND it took a full load of road salt UP Sutton Bank in Nth. Yorks. (very naughty driver). A great machine. Those Bewicks Atki’s looked grand.

I have got your name right Bewick ! Sorry about the spelling lol keep the pictures coming in . Tony

Lawrence Dunbar:
Great Photos Dennis, You must have been a rich bugger in those good old days to have a camera Eh, Ha Ha, Regards Larry.

Aye Larry I suppose it was the only bit of a hobby I had in the early years,other than hard graft :frowning: it’s just a pity that I didn’t really get started with a decent camera until 1970,previously I’d just took a few B/W shots in the '60’s but then it was the cost of photography that controlled the careful use of the camera! I only wish I had taken shots of my time as a trailer mate at Bradys,now they would have been “class” although I say it my-self :sunglasses: .However,I do wish that there had been these new Digital cameras during the years I was shooting the Bewick fleet as no matter how you tried to be careful a large percentage of what I took was ■■■■■ but still had to paid for eh! :cry: But anyway I managed to amass a large archive of one “long gone” English haulier that strived to keep the highest standards possible while still operating within the boundaries of a very competitive industry.Cheers Dennis

Lawrence Dunbar:
Money well spent IMO, Bewicks motors allways looked the part, & allways clean & tidy whenever I saw them, Regards Larry PS The sheeting & roping was average Eh, Ha Ha, Regards Larry.

Well ye can’t be good at everything Wor Hinney :blush: Thanks for the kind coment anyway Larry :slight_smile: Dennis

remember this ,cheers benkku

bma.finland:
remember this ,cheers benkku

And here is the “real Mchoy” bma. sorry I am spoiling the shot,24 years old 1971 !! :blush:

Just as a matter of interest Dennis, did you paint your motors in house, or were they subbed out.

like rading your posts dennis, as a younng chap in the pic were you keen to expand/did you want to run a fleet? or was it just a matter of course due to work?
also love the pics of the flat trailers with just the single mudflap at the back rather than the crappy plastic wings and spray flaps of today
moose

wondercat:
Just as a matter of interest Dennis, did you paint your motors in house, or were they subbed out.

We painted some in house but also had many more painted by auto refinishers,but we always had the lettering carried out by our own local signwriters in our workshop.Cheers Dennis.

Moose:
like rading your posts dennis, as a younng chap in the pic were you keen to expand/did you want to run a fleet? or was it just a matter of course due to work?
also love the pics of the flat trailers with just the single mudflap at the back rather than the crappy plastic wings and spray flaps of today
moose

I could,but I won’t,write a book on the question you pose “Moose”,However,as a short answer I can say that when I was charging up and down to London with my first motor, running a fleet was the futherest thing in my mind but I had a bad bout of flu in early '69 and was parked up for a week so I decided that maybe a modest 3 or 4 motors may be the best way to secure continuity.So later that same year I obtained another “A” licence from the same source as my first one then I had another one granted by the LA with support from my two main customers at that time,Henry Cooke the Paper makers and Libby McNeill and Libby.I also bought a new Bedford KE (TK) for my younger brother to drive when he had passed his test in early 1970.So in late 1970 I had 4 motors running 2 artics and 2 ridgids.The next boost we got during 1970 was a change of senior management at the Mill and the booting out of a local haulier who were a bunch of areosols anyway and rate cutters into the bargain !! I was then called in to a meeting (■■■■■■■■ myself 'cause I didn’t know what to expect at 23 year old :confused: )Anyway,the financial director asked if I would consider doing as much work out of the Mill as I could,you could have knocked me down with a feather,from that time on and over the ensuing years it was just a case of trying to keep abreast of customer demands,at decent rates I would add,and over the years we built up a very loyal customer base of around 20 main customers,mainly within the Paper industry but another couple of hundred smaller but regular varied customers.I enjoyed building up the fleet over the years but I never set out with a “Blue print” as it never works out like that,Happy Days Cheers Dennis.

I well remember those good old days, Dennis, when British industry was crying out for transport. Customers were expanding so quickly that hauliers had to grow with them or lose the business to someone with more resources. Little did some of us understand the concept of “boom & bust”- we though the good times would last forever!

Retired Old ■■■■:
I well remember those good old days, Dennis, when British industry was crying out for transport. Customers were expanding so quickly that hauliers had to grow with them or lose the business to someone with more resources. Little did some of us understand the concept of “boom & bust”- we though the good times would last forever!

Just for you ROF,this is a shot of the entire Bewick fleet in about April '70, the artic was loaded for Corrugated Products at Bracknell with 18 ton of Bleached Kraft paper,and I think (?) my D1000 was loaded with ICI Bleached Kraft for British Sisal Kraft at Strood but I’m not to sure where the TK was loaded for unfortunately,possibly it was loaded with Robinsons Sacks from Rochester ? Cheers Dennis.

An early '72 shot at our first little depot on the A6 at Milnthorpe,adjacent to the Police station.There’s a couple of the motors missing on this shot,the 26 ton Mastiff and the Bedford KE flat,and the 7 or 8 trailers we had by that time

A 1970 B/W shot of the 26ton Mastiff (24 ton in this photo!) stood in the Paper mill loaded for London.This single axle York SL 28 footer was fleet no. 3 and I only bought it (new) on the advice of The Mill who said we would need one for a regular drop in Bristol.What a load of bollox and I got rid of the poxy thing within 12 month or so.I reckoned that a 36 foot tandem would do the same job,and it did,although when we loaded one for the first time The Mill were somewhat sceptical but as it turned out I ■■■■■■ into the drop in Bristol a lot handier than with a poxy single axle ! :wink:

Bewick:
A 1970 B/W shot of the 26ton Mastiff (24 ton in this photo!) stood in the Paper mill loaded for London.This single axle York SL 28 footer was fleet no. 3 and I only bought it (new) on the advice of The Mill who said we would need one for a regular drop in Bristol.What a load of bollox and I got rid of the poxy thing within 12 month or so.I reckoned that a 36 foot tandem would do the same job,and it did,although when we loaded one for the first time The Mill were somewhat sceptical but as it turned out I ■■■■■■ into the drop in Bristol a lot handier than with a poxy single axle ! :wink:

Aye Dennis,we had a lot of them trailers at Forth,they were buggers with the axle right on the back,they cut right in on the corners :blush:

A 26ft single axle trailer can cause lumber on it’s own without even been coupled to a tractor !!! Car park in Ambleside '76 :blush:

A 1975 depot shot of two Big J’s we added to fleet,the one on the left was a 1974 reg and cost me £4250,the one on the left OHA 301M? was a 1973 reg and cost me £3750 both plus VAT :frowning:

grumpy old man:
Don’t know why but I always preferred the Atki against the ERF. I got an 8 legger new at Fred Chappels in 1962, 150 gardner and a 6 speed DB. I spent many happy hours in that AND it took a full load of road salt UP Sutton Bank in Nth. Yorks. (very naughty driver). A great machine. Those Bewicks Atki’s looked grand.

That would have been interesting to see on the hairpin bend ,did you put it in bottom gear at the bottom?

Bewick:
A 26ft single axle trailer can cause lumber on it’s own without even been coupled to a tractor !!! Car park in Ambleside '76 :blush:

No wonder it fell over. Most of the load appears to have been put on the left of it. :stuck_out_tongue: