Beware - French police rip off

Here’s the latest scam to come out of France, recounted to me over the phone this evening by our man R Slicker who’s on his way home to Italy:

Seems the French police have a new way of extorting money from the innocent truck driver. At Reims on Friday a British owner-driver pulls up to the péage on the northbound side. He’s in a 124 Scania, but it’s not a Topline so rather than struggle across to the passenger side to hand over his ticket he steps out of the cab and walks across to the booth to pay - if you drive a RHD truck and you’re over here you’ll know the score, we all do it unless it’s really pouring down. On returning to the cab the barrier goes up and he starts off, only to be pulled over to the parking area immediately after the péage by the gendarmes. ‘Les flics’ then proceed to fine him 680 euros for leaving his vehicle unattended with the keys in the ignition and the engine running :open_mouth: and as ever in France you agree to pay or they stand you still.

The worrying thing about this, other than it’s a complete travesty of the law which will only be applied to RHD (i.e British) trucks, is that it’s so early in the month. Normally the police get a bit hungry towards the fourth week of the month (pay day on the 27th) but this was the 16th, so be extra careful on the roads here this week …

Cheers,

Craig

just remind me craig why do we live out here again :question: :confused:
chris

This is nothing more than a complete and utter abuse of authority and should be appealed at the highest level.
I assume that our esteemed man in France (respected roving foto reporter) will be investigating the validity of this ?

Grim Reaper:
This is nothing more than a complete and utter abuse of authority and should be appealed at the highest level

ah but this is france they can do what they like :unamused:
chris

Craig 111:
and as ever in France you agree to pay or they stand you still.

It`s a shocking story Craig, but I will take minor issue with you here. If you know the law and you argue it, then they will back down.

First instance- pulled up at the foot of Mont Blanc and they attempted to fine me because I hadnt left my chart in overnight. Luckily, I had a copy of Croners in the truck.

Quote from Croner`s- “It is permissable to leave the chart in overnight but it is not recommended to do so”. That shut them right up!

Second instance- pulled at Dreux, and they wanted to fine me because I hadnt written the total distance driven on yesterdays card (I never do, just the start and finish readings). I told them I didn`t have to, it was optional. They went to the car and got on the radio.

When they came back, rather sheepishly, I figuratively showed them that I still had my “Agincourt arrow-fingers” :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Vince

Grim Reaper:
I assume that our esteemed man in France (respected roving foto reporter) will be investigating the validity of this ?

I’m already on the case for T&D. Need to speak with the driver in question to get the full story and we will then go to print with it. I haven’t seen the ticket yet but Brian (R Slicker) did this afternoon on the Dunkerque ferry. No doubt he’ll be adding more when he gets back home Tuesday night.

As for arguing with the gendarmes the guy in question is an owner driver with plenty of experience, I don’t think he’d have handed over 680 hard-earned euros without trying to contest it. As Chris said here in France they seem to do what they like, the laws are changing all the time, and unfortunately those of us who live here have to adapt. Having worked for a very short time in enforcement I know the validity of Croners but I don’t think it would have held much water in this instance as we’re dealing with a local law rather than something like the EU international drivers hours.

I wonder what the IRTU would make of it?

Craig

It always helped me that I speak fluent French.

Although the phrase “Voulez-vous un cafe?” is one that every British driver would do well to learn :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Vince

okay guys n girls i can confirm this story is true i read the ticket and had it translated it is true in every word leaving his vehicle unattended with the engine running. BLOODY CRAZY AND STINKS OF FRENCH MADNESS: 2 french drivers on boat discusted and are trying to help the man in question get his money back when i see him again sometime this week i will update this post

Crazy. Seems the best thing to do at the moment if not going across the cab, would be to turn the engine off and take the keys with you when going to pay, OK it will mean a little longer to get going again and no doubt annoy people behind in the queue but better that than paying out lots of Euros.

Mind you the Gendarmes will no doubt do us for parking on the motorway if we do that. :confused: :unamused:

very true coffee. remember the scam in 01. 45 euro for not having the stars of the european union on your gb sticker.

technicaly even in england it is an offence to leave a vehicle un-attended with the engine running,it does seen a little hard,but I think it,s down to les poulets at the time.The traffic cops in UK can be the same,some will let you off for minor things,some love the thought of doing you,cops world wide are the same,I,ve been stopped by french cops english cops cops in america and even been in an arab nick in north africa for awhile(released with no charges)but it is the atitude of the english cops that wind me up most.600+ euros is a bit harsh,stop the engine and take the keys,and even lock the cab door and make everybody else wait,the french would hate it. :wink:

r slicker:
very true coffee. remember the scam in 01. 45 euro for not having the stars of the european union on your gb sticker.

I didn’t encounter that one so that was news to me, luckily. :smiley: I have to say that in over 14 years of driving in France I have never been nicked for anything, despite being stopped more times than I could count.

Froggy’s right it’s illegal everywhere and I for one wouldn’t do it for the simple reason that it is too easy for some opportunist to leap in and drive away. My wife and I have had a standing joke for years when we see it (especially cars outside newsagents on cold winter mornings) ‘fancy a motor? there’s one waiting there’.

A couple of years back an English tourist leaving the Autoroute at the Cahors peage undid his seat belt so he could reach across and pay through the window. Pulled and fined. Hard but legal. Your seat belt must be fixed at all times if the engine is running.

Switch and pull!

Salut, David.

kind of puts you off wanting to venture into euro work, if this is the way the frogs treat us dont it. :frowning: :frowning:

:question: I was brought up to believe that EEC laws overrode local law on an International journey. Is this not the long standing French attitude of one interpretation for the French locals and one interpretation for everyone else? :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :unamused:

What would the health and safety not to mention the insurance make of it if you where hit from behined,and les poulets pull in the french for not wearing seat belts.Have you been north of the border(scotland)the cops seen to know who to pull in and they are normally not from the land of the bard or any one with red hair.

just had phone call from driver in question. first of all he dosent want to court publicity over this matter as he is a owner driver . secondley GOOD NEWS the 2 french drivers contacted a soliciter and he has been told to go to the police station in reims where he will be REFUNDED HIS FINE. this restores for the time being my faith in french drivers. they are two drivers from giraud lyon depot i for one will be sending a letter of appreciation to this company.

Owner driver fine,second I like to know on what grounds the fine will be refunded,cant see the police in england giving a fine back cash in hand or cheque,if you admit the the charge wrongly or rightly you,ve admitted the charge,can see why it would be easier time wise to do so but if you accept the charge and pay up end of story or in this case not.

froggy:
if you admit the the charge wrongly or rightly you,ve admitted the charge,can see why it would be easier time wise to do so but if you accept the charge and pay up end of story or in this case not.

By handing over money you are not necessarily admitting the charge, the money you hand over is a deposit and you can appeal against it, you may get it back, you may get the amount reduced or you may get it increased.

Or it may, as in most cases, be the exact amount that the powers that be decide is a proper fine for the offence. :unamused: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
Or it may, as in most cases, be the exact amount that the powers that be decide is a proper fine for the offence. :unamused: :smiley:

Yeah, strange that. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I suppose you could always drive to Lyons in the car to defend the charge…

Vince