Better MPG

isaac hunt:

psv8:
having spoken with one of the lads at work who tends to get good MPg

Pointless comparing with your work mate unless both tachos are accurate.

As an example, figures exaggerated.

You both do a 500 mile journey - your tacho is 10% under and records 450 mile

• his tacho is 10% over and records 550 mile.

You both use 50 gallons, he shows 11mpg you only show 9.

Of course, when in the same truck week to week, you can still compare how changes to your driving style affect mpg.

Very true, also pointless making comparisons unless you’re doing the same work and both are keeping accurate records, when talking about fuel consumption, about 8mpg, or 7.8mpg to 8mpg is no good. Average mpg will be one number and you can only find this number out by keeping track of miles done and fuel added. You need to start with full tanks, record the mileage, then do some work, record the mileage again and the number of litres/gallons added, divide the miles travelled by the fuel used and that’s the figure for that tank, now that means nothing in the scheme of things, to get an accurate mpg figure you’ll need a 30day average at least, you don’t do that by adding all the single fills together and dividing by the number of fills. You need to get the miles travelled for the 30day period and divide that by the total litres/gallons added during that time, you may have a couple of days running light with a tailwind where you get 10mpg, but a couple of days with a full load and a headwind will see you down in the 6mpg range or worse, yet over the course of the 30day period your average could be 8.12mpg, the daily mpg figures are unlikely to be a good indication of the average. Even if you’re doing the same thing day in and day out, traffic and wind can make a huge difference.

To revisit Harry’s earlier post where he says slowing down made no difference. Harry, how long did you slow down for? It would need to be for a whole week at least to get to a point where you can record an average to compare with the higher speed average :bulb:

Btw Issac, love the name :laughing:

420 Scania manual topline 56 plate doing the same run for 4 nights ok not a full weight load but similar weighted loads i can get 13.+ MPG and it checks out by the amount of fuel i put in …

440 Scania opiti cruse highline 10 plate same run again for 4 nights similar load the max i could get was a little over 10mpg again checked out by amount of fuel put in

Nick, I’m assuming that these lorries are also used on day runs too, so a 3mpg difference will be huge to your company. I find it strange that the company are not looking into this, It would appear that nobody is looking at fuel costs and that is madness, it’s their biggest expense ffs :unamused:

Good on you though, 13mpg is quite an achievement :wink: