? Better MPG going at 80mph?

All I’ve heard today on the old hissing radio was this about changing the speed limit on the Motorways

But Where do they get their facts from? They stated that drivers would save fuel ■■ Wtf ■■

Dont they mean IT could Save time? But even that is debatable

My understanding of fuel economy, Keep the revs in the green, I return between 10 and 14mpg in all trucks I drive, and upto 70 mpg in my car, and thats travelling at 58/60. above 60 I know driving faster wont make my derv last longer, just costs me more, Wish I was in Southern Ireland again, Derv equivilant to £1.21 per Litre (1 month ago)

re the saving time, I can imagine a rep saying I saved 10 minutes driving at 80mph, but then again look behind him with his brown stained trousers lol

It would save time, obviously, but not fuel. Fuel consumption increases quite significantly once you get above ~ 50mph. Typically you lose around 10% mpg for every 10mph over 50mph. Rough real life figures from my motor :

50mph 70mpg
60mph 63mpg
70mph 56.7mpg
80mph 51mpg ish
90mph 46mpg ish

PinkLadyTrucker:
All I’ve heard today on the old hissing radio was this about changing the speed limit on the Motorways

But Where do they get their facts from? They stated that drivers would save fuel ■■ Wtf ■■

Dont they mean IT could Save time? But even that is debatable

My understanding of fuel economy, Keep the revs in the green, I return between 10 and 14mpg in all trucks I drive, and upto 70 mpg in my car, and thats travelling at 58/60. above 60 I know driving faster wont make my derv last longer, just costs me more, Wish I was in Southern Ireland again, Derv equivilant to £1.21 per Litre (1 month ago)

re the saving time, I can imagine a rep saying I saved 10 minutes driving at 80mph, but then again look behind him with his brown stained trousers lol

Sorry pink lady, i aggree with a lot of what you say but down ere in Cornwall u drive in the green u get nowhere on these hills!!Local work, wagon and drag, 5.4mpg on a good day. But saying that,when we go up the line the Volvo 480 gives 8-10. Depends where you are suppose!!

tootman318:
Sorry pink lady, i aggree with a lot of what you say but down ere in Cornwall u drive in the green u get nowhere on these hills!!Local work, wagon and drag, 5.4mpg on a good day. But saying that,when we go up the line the Volvo 480 gives 8-10. Depends where you are suppose!!

Hey I forgot about the Scottish drivers also then lol, Even so, I’d love to know how they can say you would save fuel?

10-14mpg is fairly impressive!

Alcpone:
10-14mpg is fairly impressive!

Thank you, Im quite light on the foot lol, depending on load etc of course, but I find it a failure if I do less than 10mpg, Hate it thou on the odd occasion I get a truck with no Computer, My car has got one too, and Im always trying to get more and more mpg for my money

The company I drive for now, have their trucks limited to 52, So another example that slower is better for the mpg.

PinkLadyTrucker:

tootman318:

Hey I forgot about the Scottish drivers also then lol, Even so, I’d love to know how they can say you would save fuel?

Walk with a barrow!!lol :smiley:

it is all good increasing the speed limit but they have to get most off the stupid car drivers to increase there speed to it the amount that sit at 45-50 on the motorway is unbelievable, 80mph won’t give better mpg thats just to help quieten the campaigners that want the speed limit lowered.

PinkLadyTrucker:
I return between 10 and 14mpg in all trucks I drive

What work are you doing?

I honestly heard two drivers talking one day. “I don’t know why they think going slower saves fuel, your engines on for less time if you go faster” The other one agreed with him :open_mouth: .

…Is it me being stupid? :laughing:

Saaamon:

PinkLadyTrucker:
I return between 10 and 14mpg in all trucks I drive

What work are you doing?

Mainly delivering Debenhams, London & Birmingham, and then at least 2 collections from the locality I’m delivering to
Drive Volvos and Dafs mainly, Drove thru London today on S Circ and then N circ,in a Daf and still returned just over 11 Mpg, this was also during rush hour

What is the size and weight of the trucks you drive?
I found it hard to believe at first but my car gives better mpg at 75 than it does at 60mph, ie 30 miles @ 60 on cruise control with computer reset then did the same at 75. Its a 3ltr deisel.

raymundo:
I found it hard to believe at first but my car gives better mpg at 75 than it does at 60mph, ie 30 miles @ 60 on cruise control with computer reset then did the same at 75. Its a 3ltr deisel.

My 3 litre BMW was the same. I think it’s because 6th at 60mph is too low below the peak torque point so the engine is having to work harder to maintain the speed. I reckon if you drove at 60mph in 5th your mpg would be better as your revs will be sitting pretty much at peak torque.

Somehow, I don’t think the speed limit will be raised for lorries at all, so even if the limit is raised to 80mph, which most car drivers do anyway and even more Sprinter van drivers :laughing: it shouldn’t bother us,

However I don’t think the 40mph is going to be here for a while longer! :grimacing:

Get rid of speed limits, and stupid signs that say SHARP BEND AHEAD, and traffic lights at stupid o’clock in the morning, and, even more, traffic lights on roundabouts, 1 or the frickin’ other.

Oh, erm… Yeah, and prosecute BAD driving. I speed in my car, I crawl along at 50mph in my truck, but in both these circumstances, I see BAD driving, people cutting in and out and undertaking and hogging lanes and generally just being dicks.

How often in a day - average - in a truck, do you see someone:

a) on a mobile
b) putting their make-up on
c) cutting across all 4 lanes to take an exit that’s been signed for a mile
d) going across chevrons for said exit
e) other ■■■■ I can’t be arsed to think of right now.

Crack down on bad driving and road safety will fix itself, ■■■■ all to do with limits…

And bring back the green cross code for these spoilt, driven to school, kids who think they’re tougher than 44t truck, 1.5t cars or whatever…

Rob K:

raymundo:

My 3 litre BMW was the same. I think it’s because 6th at 60mph is too low below the peak torque point so the engine is having to work harder to maintain the speed. I reckon if you drove at 60mph in 5th your mpg would be better as your revs will be sitting pretty much at peak torque.

My 330D is auto and as I have only had the car for three years (!!) I dont have a clue to be honest how many gears its got, but I do know it will do 140mph +, so I’ve been told :unamused:

I’d be all for swiching traffic lights off overnight. Having to stop then start again is good for nothing.

On the subject of cars doing 80 mph and getting better MPG it’s all relative to the size of the engine.
I could do in my bimmer 80 mph in 6th all day long as it’s the cars sweet spot- and pull in 54-55mpg easily.
Other halfs car sat at 80 mph would be thrashing the nuts of it and mpg would be down in 20’s.

As for traffic lights , agreed with switching them off in some areas or at the very least get the ■■■■ things upgraded with sensors to pick up approaching traffic and change accordingly.
That ■■■■■■■ A580 from the M6 to Knowsley gets on my ■■■■ big time :laughing:
Roundabout lights at night , switch em off surplus to requirments at dark hours.

My Audi a3 2.0 tdi sits bang on 2000rpm in top gear 6th and will doo around 50mpg but if you sit at 80 it drops down to about 42mpg.
From what I can see recently as I have been looking at updating it most diesels have a six speed to drop the revs down to help fuel economy and 70 is where good economy peaks. So fuel economy arguments don’t make sense.

kr79:
My Audi a3 2.0 tdi sits bang on 2000rpm in top gear 6th and will doo around 50mpg but if you sit at 80 it drops down to about 42mpg.
From what I can see recently as I have been looking at updating it most diesels have a six speed to drop the revs down to help fuel economy and 70 is where good economy peaks. So fuel economy arguments don’t make sense.

It’s not 70. Lower than that, more like 50. At 70 there’s too much air resistance for good mpg figures. 42mpg at 80 in a 6 speed 2.0 tdi is pretty shocking :open_mouth: .