Best way to learn C+E?

Is it better to train for a Class C+E test with an artic or wagon and drag?

I’m not ready for this just yet - aiming for my C licence just now - but will be going for my Class 1 next year.

Know that with W & D you have the advantage of learning in a prime mover that is a Class 2 lorry and have heard that they are easier to drive - but of course most C+E work in this country is done in artics, which I believe are much harder to drive.

Would it be a disadvantage to learn in a W & D - or would most employers not really mind about which vehicle you passed your test in?

Hi mate

I trained in a wag n drag and then an assesment for my job in an artic. Wag n Drag is 5 ft longer than an artic (so i’m told) and so if you can drive a wag n drag you can drive anything. I enjoyed my training and wouldnt have changed it if I had had the chance. In the end its upto you. I’d recomend it :slight_smile:

Big Nige:
Hi mate

I trained in a wag n drag and then an assesment for my job in an artic. Wag n Drag is 5 ft longer than an artic (so i’m told) and so if you can drive a wag n drag you can drive anything. I enjoyed my training and wouldn’t have changed it if I had had the chance. In the end its up to you. I’d recommend it :slight_smile:

W&D can be longer than an artic - doesn’t have to be :wink: minimum test specs state 14m as the length for either Artic or W & D

( maximum lengths for normal road use are 16.5m for Artics ( with a few exceptions for pedants) and 18.75m for W&D’s )

It’s a matter of personal choice whether you train in an artic or a W&D - If the jobs you’re going to be looking for use artics then I’d say train in an artic.
I trained in an artic many years ago but only driven W&D since, that’s just what was available at the school I used

:open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

I did my class 1 and 2 with the same instructor, best thing i did, because the instructor knew my faults and improved me, also because i did the class 2 in the same truck the class 1 was just getting used to the trailer.

i personally think its better to do the test in wagon and drag, for general driving just drive it like you would a wagon, and if the instructor has got a good trailer it will follow you around things. Learning to drive an artic from a wagon and drag for me was easy, but i have heard doing it the other way round is quite hard.

I would recommed that you plan to do your class 1 alot sooner, do your class 2, work for an agency [just a confidence thing] then get your class 1 within a few months. you will find it easier as you will still be in test mode, and you can impress the instructor with what jobs you have been doing with your class 2 licence - thats what i did, and thats the only reason why i passed my class 1.

Also Lez where in the country are you, as people here can reccomend the better instructors.

sorry ignor that bit about where you are i can see it now.

something that i have heard about scotland training is that you can get it for free. go into your nearest driver hire and ask them about doing it through learn direct, might take a bit longer but if you can get it free then the money you have for class 2 you can use for class 1.

if you can get it for free through driver hire and learn direct let me know, if not i will try and find out some more information about it for you to ask again.

HGV_Mikey:
I.

Also Lez where in the country are you, as people here can reccomend the better instructors.

I’m in Aberdeen.

No one else from round here seems to post on the forum so I doubt that I would get advice - but word of mouth has led me to a long established training school with a good rep.

I’ll be able to tell you more about it soon!

And if anyone else in the chilly North East of Scotland decides to join, I could become the local correspondent so to speak!

HGV_Mikey:
sorry ignor that bit about where you are i can see it now.

something that i have heard about scotland training is that you can get it for free. go into your nearest driver hire and ask them about doing it through learn direct, might take a bit longer but if you can get it free then the money you have for class 2 you can use for class 1.

if you can get it for free through driver hire and learn direct let me know, if not i will try and find out some more information about it for you to ask again.

Thanks!

Have heard about the Learn Direct scheme - they will give you up to £200 towards your LGV training - but I earn a bit too much to qualify for this.

Very nice thought though - in fact it’s such a good idea that IMO it should be made available throughout the whole of the UK!

if you want to drive artics pass test on artic s as the first time you have to drive a close couple through a city you will regret passing on a w+d as for drags its the easier of the two options to pass your test on but chances are if your not a job jumper youll never drive another one so whats the point you aint learning anything are you :bulb:

artic every time…2 completely different vehicles…w/d is w/d…artic is artic…if you want to be a good artic driver…do your training on one

I agree, wagon and drag is a doddle, its like towing a caravan! A good driver can get used to either but its best to learn in the real thing, any decent driving school should offer you a proper truck.

Artics are harder to turn into tight junctions, slower to turn when reversing, cut in more on corners but far more rewarding to drive.

Drawbars are cheaper to run, easier to drive, easier to reverse, cut in less on corners, swing out less on tight junctions. But the coupling is harder. So if you’re bad at positioning then you stand more chance of passing with a drag.

I’m class 2 ,with 6 months experience or so and hope to start C+E in a wagon and Drag combi or “the easy way” :laughing: as some would say…The drag option may be easier but the principles involved driving the two are the same hence the reason why both routes of qualification end up in one and the same category.

moving_on:
I’m class 2 ,with 6 months experience or so and hope to start C+E in a wagon and Drag combi or “the easy way” :laughing: as some would say.
I’m yet to come across official stats putting artic trained drivers ahead of W&D trained counterparts. And if it mattered then surely government would have by now intruduced these two differences as further categories in the present C+E

they almost are. restriction 102 i believe it is. restricted C + E
i did my class 1 in leconfield. loads of W & Ds, 2 artics (only used for RAF), some had the restriction, others didnt. i couldnt see any reason for those who were restricted. we were all on the same course at the same time and it was a matter of waiting for licences to come back to see who could drive artics :confused:

scanny77:
i did my class 1 in leconfield. loads of W & Ds, 2 artics (only used for RAF), some had the restriction, others didnt. i couldnt see any reason for those who were restricted. we were all on the same course at the same time and it was a matter of waiting for licences to come back to see who could drive artics :confused:

Not so,Scanny.
Passed C+E last year in W&D,no restriction on licence.
A pass in a W&D is classed exactly the same as an Artic.

gsm31:

scanny77:

Not so,Scanny.
Passed C+E last year in W&D,no restriction on licence.
A pass in a W&D is classed exactly the same as an Artic.

The 102 restriction was only given to drivers who had passed their old HGV Class 2 and Class 3 tests before 1997. If you passed your Class C from this date onwards you only got rigid entitlement and had to pass your C+E to pull drags and drive artics.

If driving wagon and drags is so much easier then why isn’t every training school using them for C+E tests? From their point of view it would surely be in their best interests to do anything that boosts their pass rates.

The 102 restriction was only given to drivers who had passed their old HGV Class 2 and Class 3 tests before 1997. If you passed your Class C from this date onwards you only got rigid entitlement and had to pass your C+E to pull drags and drive artics.

Yes this is correct.

The sily thing is, anyone with this restriction can legally drive a wagon and drag but not an artic.
If they want to drive an artic they must pass the C+E test.
But - they can take the C+E test in a wagon and drag - pass the test and be given a licence to drive an artic :unamused:
It makes no senses to me to take a guy for test in a vehicle he already has a licence for in order for him to obtain a licence to drive a vehicle he has never driven :question: :question:
There is a big difference between wagon and drag and artic. I would advise anyone passing in a wagon and drag to book at least one days extra training on an artic - just to give them the know how they need to be confident in taking out a ‘proper’ truck when starting work.

I passed in a wag n rag as a total noob and then within a couple of weeks I was driving an artic full time. I dont think there is that much difference, the principles are the same and it hasn’t done me any harm. Just my experience :smiley:

Mothertrucker:
I would advise anyone passing in a wagon and drag to book at least one days extra training on an artic - just to give them the know how they need to be confident in taking out a ‘proper’ truck when starting work.

thats exactly what i did 8 years ago. i didnt want to drive an artic with no proper training on them. reversing into a bay at rugby truckstop, i got told off for using my mirrors. i was told to get my head out the window and do it properly :laughing: