Best way to keep track of working / driving times

Hi to everyone, Ive been working for agency for a few weeks and my start times and working times are a bit all over the place. I am having trouble really understanding all the permitations on driving / working times. does anyone know where i can maybe download some charts or maybe an app that might be helpfull. Thanks in advance for any help.

There is an app called “trucker timer” that is useful.

thanks for that , going to try and download now … cheers.

I downloaded trucker timer and didn’t understand all of the terms. I’m not sure what some of the counters stipulate, and there seems to be no real documentation with the app to explain each part.

Can anyone help with a noobs guide?

Cheers

Rancid

rancidmelon:
I downloaded trucker timer and didn’t understand all of the terms. I’m not sure what some of the counters stipulate, and there seems to be no real documentation with the app to explain each part.

Can anyone help with a noobs guide?

Cheers

Rancid

what phone are you using it on? and what terms do you not understand, all the counters are clear not to sure why you don’t understand them, they only tell you what you should already be monitoring if you are moving between different companies all the time, total driving for week, fortnightly drive limit, wtd working limit ect, :confused: :confused: :confused:

Apologies if this might seem obvious to you regular drivers, but as my post may have hinted, i’m a noob, so just getting started and keen to ensure i’m not missing anything. I figured this section is the place to come to ask for help, so that’s what i’m doing :slight_smile:

I’m having a little trouble understanding how the WTD differs from the standard breaks we’re meant to take on a daily basis. I.e. on Trucker Timer, there is the continuous driving limit, that’s fine, i understand that.

Then we have the WTD limit. How does this differ from the first? Does this mean after 6 hours we must take another break?

Also, with regard to other work, if you are making several stop within your 4.5 hour driving time, reverting to ‘other work’ does the other work constitute a part of your 4.5 hours before you must take a break?

Thanks in anticipation of all constructive help!

Rancid

You have to take break after 4hrs 30 mins of driving or after 6 hrs at work, whatever comes first. In my case it usually comes together or very close to each other.

If I start at 6am I have to take my brake no later than at 12 (6 hours) or after 4 and half hr driving. I do my checks 15 mins, drive to take my trailer, attach it, drive to my first collection and so on… I usually take my full break at 11:30- 11:45 with around 4 hours driving. There is no point to take 30 mins at 11:45, and then another 30 mins to clear my driving at 12:45, so always take 47 mins to make sure everything is ok. On one day I took 45 mins and drove off, and was so surprised that I still had 30 mins driving left. Now when I have 47 mins there is no chance to make any mistake…
Hope it helps…

Example:
You could, in a day, only do 3hrs total driving but do 7 hrs of other work =10hrs
As your driving time has not exceeded 4½hrs, you do not need to take a break from driving hours. However, once you have worked 6hrs (driving or other) you MUST take a 15 minute break - and between 6 & 9 hrs you must take another 15 minute break.

If however you do 4½hrs driving and 1½hrs other work and have taken (15+30mins) or the whole 45minute break in one go - then your first 6hrs under the WTD is complete and you can carry on working.

Sometimes we do other work when the vehicle is not at the yard or whatever. If we take a break we MUST make a manual entry when the vehicle is available.

That’s pretty much the clarification I was looking for, thanks guys, really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Rancid

macci:
Example:
You could, in a day, only do 3hrs total driving but do 7 hrs of other work =10hrs
As your driving time has not exceeded 4½hrs, you do not need to take a break from driving hours. However, once you have worked 6hrs (driving or other) you MUST take a 15 minute break - and between 6 & 9 hrs you must take another 15 minute break.

If however you do 4½hrs driving and 1½hrs other work and have taken (15+30mins) or the whole 45minute break in one go - then your first 6hrs under the WTD is complete and you can carry on working.

Sometimes we do other work when the vehicle is not at the yard or whatever. If we take a break we MUST make a manual entry when the vehicle is available.

easiest way i have read also. Thanks

It is good that you are keen to understand the maze of EU Regs, WTD and other Regs ie Domestic rules. You will get excellent and accurate advice on this board but perhaps a 7 hour CPC course would provide a more thorough complete view of the rules.

There will be other experienced drivers who can provide a balance of real world experiences along with the trainers explanations of the legal requirements.

With the average cost of a days training usually less than even 1 fixed penalty for getting it wrong as well as 7 hours towards your next CPC card it is a no brainer.

Good advice, thank you, I’ll make this my first CPC course to get nailed.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice!

Rancid