Best way to get into the tanker industry?

hi people,i m after some advice from the wealth of experience on here.my ideal job is to get onto the tankers,shell etc. i live approx 10 mins drive from stanlow so would assume that there is plenty of fuel supply companies in the area.i have a full adr in tanks and packages,i have c+e, but little experience .i ve been told that the experience thing may not be a bad thing as some companies like to mould you into their driver with no bad habbits?i may be wrong.whats the best way to break into the industry.i am working full time at the moment so the agency route isnt really an option? any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

best bet would be to ring hoyers hq in huddersfield and ask for a application form but from what i hear they are not recriuting at the moment plus rumours going round that shell are looking to sell stanlow possibly to the libyians.

mainly a case of knowing someone who already works there. all big companies (shell texaco bp asda tesco etc use firms like dhl/hoyer/tdg etc) you would need to get in touch with those companies not the oil company.
the job is easy enough but you don’t get to make any mistakes or your out (contams i.e dropping unleaded into derv tanks at garage etc) :frowning:
moneys good hours are good. job in my view is crap cos of ever changing rules and regs :frowning: . everything HAS to be done by the book,no shortcuts. i have trained 20 odd drivers on petrol and most were gobsmacked at how easy it is to make an error, 1 minutes lack of concentration and you have a contam which you cannot cover up and get away with it.
good luck with your search

I tried a few years ago & got the answer “no petrol experience”

You could go to a small tanker company so you’ve got it in your CV.

Hi clarkyboy, I can’t help but agree wholeheartedly with the comments made by wirralpete and gezt.

Having said that, and developing paulfromwire’s great comment a little, why restrict yourself to Stanlow and petrol/derv/kero?

For example, if you apply to Hoyer at Huddersfield, please be aware that they also have a ‘red’ fleet, which not only carries general chemicals in tankers, but also has tank-container traffic. Hoyer has a depot not 5mins drive from Stanlow.
(Have a drive along Bridges Road. :wink: )

There are also other tanker logistics companies that operate from our area, some of which are smaller operators.
This type of company is often a good starting point for a person looking to get into tanker work, because you’ll probably be of far more interest to the major players in the tanker industry once you’ve got some genuine tanker experience. :wink:

Sorry I can’t be a bit more positive mate, but your exclusion of the agency route (for your own very good reasons) might not be to your advantage in your quest to get onto tankers. I’m just suggesting that you might have to make an important choice, but this choice could depend on your hunger for tanker work…
It’s certainly a tricky decision to make and I wouldn’t like to give you a concrete recommendation one way or the other.

Good luck whichever way your decision goes. :smiley:

have u tried watsons depot at stanlow , their a gd firm and pretty much buying everything in my area (east anglia) i been driving tankers now for 1 and half and like the work i do ,i know our local depot wisbech firm was after drivers but they never advertise so i suggest u ring them and see , the work will prob be on class 2 tho but will be a foot it .

Stanlow depot
Stanlow

T: 0151 357 2535

Hello Driver,another way into tankers could be the local company called Morrey,s down at Chester they have a good background in all types of tanker work,as regards the main companies forget it there is a lot of nepotism in those places and as one chap says its who you know i have not been long retired from oil distribution game after having approx 38 years at it starting as a contractor in Shell of all places in Buncfield,Thame ,Royston, in that order we were third rate people as contractors then i got onto a mini major company best job i ever had but now have to admit i do not miss it one iota
Good luck in your hunt dont forget the majors change their contractors often driving the cost down at the drivers expense just look how many have been in Stanlow over the years and remember the oil is running out why not try the car transporter companies they will have to move the solar/electric cars will they not