Best way to get a start?

Heya Folks,
Recently passed my class 2 and am looking to get a foor in the door somewhere. I’ve emailed several places locally and not so locally, ordered some buisness cards from vista print and am going door knocking as soon as they arrive. Im 26 with a clean license, digi tacho, soon to have full cpc ect. Just wondered if its worth waiting till I pass my class 1 which is payed for but not booked yet (waiting for license back from the dvla), or to just go round and get my name out there. I know its hard for everyone atm, but how are you supposed to get 2 years or 160 hrs driving experince required for most of the jobs advertised, when nobody will take you on?!

Thanks

Where bouts are you ?

Aldershot Hampshire, right on the Surrey border and close enough to London if needed!

I found a small agency that took on new drivers when I first started both when I passed class 2 and one.

Did class one a year after class two, multi drop pallet companies didn`t seem to fussed for class 2 and Somerfield where dragging you in the gate class one.
Not sure now they are co-op but having worked a few shifts at Co-op and refusing to go back I would assume they would still take anybody if theres one near you.

Thank you for that I will have a look into them :slight_smile:

Get on the angency books and get as much experience as you can. I have only just started recently myself. I am only 24 and have had a few jobs. I have constant contact with two agencies and I am also working ad hoc for a local haulage company. So get yourself out there.

I would wait till you have your full class one then go direct to company doors.

No harm in trying with a class 2 but i know a bloke who has constantly struggled to get work over the years with only having his class 2.

Knock on doors/get on the phone, wouldnt bother with e-mails. Dont expect the good work either, you really will end up with utter ■■■■■■

Tell lies, say you used to drive for your Uncle/Mate/Bloke next door. If they want a reference, write one yourself, if it comes on top say he moved to Canada to get away from all the red tape in this country. :wink:

Happydaze:
Tell lies, say you used to drive for your Uncle/Mate/Bloke next door. If they want a reference, write one yourself, if it comes on top say he moved to Canada to get away from all the red tape in this country. :wink:

I like this one, trouble is the date I got my class c is on the license!

Worked for me mate! :laughing:

New boss: Have you ever driven a drawbar before?

Me: No

NB: Well don’t run out of lock half way across the road on the way out of here.

Me: Cheers

NB: Ring me from MIlan and don’t get drunk before you get tipped, good luck.

That was that! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Any jobs going? Lol

hgvhgv:
Any jobs going? Lol

Mate, that was years ago and I didn’t stay with them very long. They’re also long gone. That’s the point though, once you can honestly say that you’ve driven (and can now prove it :smiley: ) you shouldn’t have a problem. You can leave Uncle John in peace… :laughing:

I wouldn’t have any qualms about doing it again, after all you’ll find out pretty quickly if you can do it or not and it ain’t rocket surgery (I think that’s right). Like anything new, just take your time.