Best way to Budapest

Off on Sunday for the first time, where is the best place to get a go box? Was planning on going via lux then Vienna and across. Also where is the best place for getting tax for Hungary? Was hoping to get to lux border tommorrow night so any ideas where I can stop that’s any good? Cheers for any responses

For Hungary tax go straight through the border for a few kilometres until just after the Bratislava motorway joins - there is then a pull in with two ot three toll booth like structures selling the tax.

If you are going via VIENNA , be advised that the saturday
driveing ban comes in at 1500hrs , and unless you reach the border at nicklesdorf, you will be haveing to park up
for the weekend,Remember they do check weigh still
and this is done per axle ,Go to the EURO-STICKY
here is information about hungary and else where,
from Wasserbillig(L) to vienna(A) is around 900km +/-
and this means you will not get out of austria
for the weekend;TRY LOOKING THROUGH THIS SITE
mentioned below,Right you will have to get through
luxemburg to wasserbillig and park there but you will need to get
into lux before the driveing ban comes in, if you can
drive as far as possible into germany, this will shorten your
journey the next day, from the austrian border to budapest
is about 2-3hrs depending on the traffic,fill up in luxemburg and then fill up in austria before entering Hungary
it is cheaper, on the city main road is a low bridge
of 3.8meters unless they have dug up the road, so you will have to take the diversion,if going into the city,the hungarian
police have the latest gear for speeding moterists and
the transit route is very strictly enforced, so take care

HERE

PLUS THIS
Hope these help any more questions ask away
as some one will come up with a answer,

Thanks for the advice so far. I am not leaving Bristol until Sunday morning so driving bans won’t be a problem and neither will the low bridge as I am coming off at the first junction after the ring road starts. Weight isn’t a problem either taking 2 tons out then reloading in the same place and that is only 5 tons back, so a nice little number. Apparently the scenery is stunning on the drive down.

Any ideas on the best place to get a go box? I was just going to try the german services before I get to border, can I get on the border?

You used to be able to get a Go-Box on the Austrian Border at Kiefersfelden as well as several of the services between Munchen and there.

Read this link aboutGO-BOX; AND also through these LINK-1 and this
LINK-2
PLUS THIS IS STILL IN FORCE;;-Winter Rules for Europe
Austria Snow chains from 15Nov until 15march
for all vehicles over 3.5tn Coach, trucks
Tread depth Min 4mm on your winter tyres
which you must have on your Drive axle
HOPE THIS HELPS ,plus you should read the snow chain sticky, as well,in factread ALL THE STICKYS;

petrock:
For Hungary tax go straight through the border for a few kilometres until just after the Bratislava motorway joins - there is then a pull in with two ot three toll booth like structures selling the tax.

You don’t actually get a vignet anymore, just a receipt and the tax is booked over the internet. A lot more places sell it now. Police check your reg with a video.
I usually go into one of the spedition offices at the border. At Nickelsdorf the one on the left is very friendly and gives you a cup of coffee while you wait.

Geoff

Well I made it back. Pretty uneventful really. No problems getting a go box or tax on the Hungarian border. The only midly exciting to happen was getting pulled by the zoll and the douanes on the way back. Ready to deliver in the morning then reload in the same place for someone else to do it. I am off to Spain on the Poole boat Saturday morning with 4 drops round Madrid, which should be interesting.

I will stick some picks up when I can get to a proper computer rather than my iPhone.