Best way to be paid

Hi all , I’ve been trying to think about which method of payment for work is going to be the most beneficial way :confused: and what are the ‘pit falls’ to avoid :frowning: If any of you had a choice of getting paid by either

1. the hour

2. self employed

3. per trip

4. or another way

What would you choose & why please?

It depends on many things, personally I prefer to be paid by the hour as I can work out how much I will get in that week. Also the money only runs out a few days until the next payday unlike salary which runs out after the second week :smiling_imp:

But it all depends on preference and circumstances as to which suits you best :slight_smile:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

I like to try and go for an hourly rate, then you know where you stand.

Following redundancy earlier in the year, I am now working for a day rate which is fine if the day is short, but some days can be thirteen hours. Then it gets a little bit like you feel you are not getting your worth. Mind you though, did 1.75 hours work Saturday and got 8 hours pay for it :smiley:

Never liked being on Salary unless it is an agreed number of hours and you don’t exceed those hours or if you do, you get time paid the overtime or lieu time.

If you are working for a small operation, then weekly paid/invoicing with 7 days payment is a good option at the present time just in case the company goes under. I have heard lots of “they have gone bust owing me a month’s wages” stories recently.

I am sure people will tear me to pieces but just my own views. Hope it is of some help.

I’ve found that by the hour/weekly is my best option.
Monthly is ok, if you budget properly & the wage is high enough.

Self employed is a bit hit & miss.

Paid by theTrip or a percentage of what the vehicle makes usually ends up with the driver working for about ‘5 pence’ an hour, by the time the operator has taken his ‘Profit’, running costs, insurance, vehicle tax, mot, servicing,tyres,tolls,fuel,good in transit insurance,vat,corporation tax,death tax, ■■■■■■■ in the wind tax etc !!! (Then they will charge you for any damage to the vehicle or goods)
(Beats me how anyone makes a profit these days ■■? )
Oh ! & also you’ve got to provide your own work clothes/PPE & wash em at your expense. (They don’t even provide free tea & coffee, lol !)

I’ve been paid all ways, now paid a proper salary incl full pay for sick etc for a genuine max 48 hour week over a set number of days per year.

There are pitfalls to salary, if for example your 48 hour max week turns into 60 or 70 hour weeks on some companies, fortunately my job doesn’t, if i end up doing a 13/14 hour day (never planned like that) or two in a week then i’ll get a couple of 7 hour days to bring the hours back and we don’t use POA ever, other companies can and do take advantage.

One pitfall to salary with full sick pay is half wit alleged drivers who take the ■■■■, those blinkered numpties who think that going sick regularly whilst their job is being covered by agency is going to last for ever ‘‘oh arn’t i clever’’…these fools are the death knock to good jobs and companies but are too inbred/stupid to see what they are doing, they’ll be the ones crying in their beer when it all goes ■■■■ up.

Hourly is OK if the basic rate is good, and any overtime is paid at the correct rate and accrued on a DAILY not weekly or other basis.
Hourly is not so good if overtime is only after 40/50/60 hours.

Trip money is fine so long as everything goes OK, with an ever increasing population then delays and congestion can only get worse, not my choce but it works for some.

Car transporters i spent many years on is usually paid as a mixture of hours/bonus/price per car/drop money/further bonus after so many hours etc, its very complicated but was quite a fair and lucrative way to be paid so long as you did 2 weeks work in one and were one of the chosen, the difference in pay if your face didn’t fit (mine) was as much as 25% and you can easily work 25% harder than those better paid.
Fortunately where i was hols were paid at average, and stand down time for WTD purposes was paid @ £100 a day.

No doubt other companies operate similar schemes, you can only judge each agreement on its merits, remember when you are being interviewed for such a job they will quote the best figures and the hours the blue eyed boys do for that money, add 25% to the hours and knock at least 25% off the earnings for the likely earnings of the majority.

All non salary earnings are subject to the whims of whoever allocates the work, they can effectively control your pay, can you put up with that…too many people spend more time worrying about what everyone else is doing they end up paranoid and depressed and it can be contagious in a company.

Remember with pay however its paid its whats in writing as your absolute basic is whats most important, thats the bare minimum you can be paid when on holiday or if you get short weeks as in bank hols etc.

For me salary has worked out best, but others will feel differently.

By the way, however i’m paid i always divide my total pay (not incl nights out or ex’s as these are not pay) by the number of hours i’ve actually worked to give a true hourly rate figure…its the only way to truly compare.

Juddian:
One pitfall to salary with full sick pay is half wit alleged drivers who take the ■■■■, those blinkered numpties who think that going sick regularly whilst their job is being covered by agency is going to last for ever ‘‘oh arn’t i clever’’…these fools are the death knock to good jobs and companies but are too inbred/stupid to see what they are doing, they’ll be the ones crying in their beer when it all goes ■■■■ up.

just spoke with the wife at weekend about this, :laughing: THIS week will be a prime example :sunglasses: nice and hot in the beer gardens of Alderley Edge! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm :grimacing:

bonnie lass:
Hi all , I’ve been trying to think about which method of payment for work is going to be the most beneficial way :confused: and what are the ‘pit falls’ to avoid :frowning: If any of you had a choice of getting paid by either

1. the hour

2. self employed

3. per trip

4. or another way

Cash in hand, £100 a day.

Whilst claiming the dole, but sadly them days are over. Lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I hate hourly pay. Far too many drivers stretch it out to a full 15 or 13 every day. So the grafters get paid less. I don’t think professionals should be paid by the hour, That is for part time menial pin money jobs.

It makes me laugh when people say “i’m paid £■■■ per hour, miniumum 12 hours, but we don’t get extra if we go over. Usually only do 8 hours though”. Guess what? That’s called day rate. :laughing:

Trip money is great if you work for a decent firm. There are cowboys that will pay say £250 for a Round trip to Germany, So you have to do 2 a week to make it pay. However, The decent firms work out a decent average, A £500 job that usually takes 4 days can sometimes be done in 3, but may take 5. This means that if the boss wants you to do another local job you will earn more money if you’ve managed to do the job in 3 or 4 days, or say “no it’s home time for me”.

Monthly is ok if you can manage your money but a big unexpected bill can really screw up your month early on
salary is fine because you know how much you can budget for
hourly is fine if you want long hours to be comfortable
self employed is similar but with better take home pay but you only get paid while you are at work. Take a day off and you don’t get a penny. Best to be healthy and big taking holidays
per trip is probably better in America since a trip could be an entire week. I wouldn’t even think about it over here

i find that a bit of both helps the other , employed and self employed , both on either weekly of fortnightly , then you can make a loss on some days and others make a good profit , plus little or reduced tax is paid,

employed is hourly, i get the cpc , uniform, ni payed, even pension
self employed is by the shift , and price is agreed before for the 8 /13/15 hour shift, very good agreement , plus all costs are taken into acount

Pay by the hour
Then you can throw it in the people face who think its funny to keep you waiting to unload or load you up

“It don’t bother me I get paid by the hour” :slight_smile:

greggy:

bonnie lass:

1. the hour

2. self employed

3. per trip

4. or another way

Whilst claiming the dole, but sadly them days are over. Lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Great way to get paid that, an ex benefits cheat. Well done bet you feel really pleased with yourself now you’ve got it off your chest.

spectron:

greggy:

bonnie lass:

1. the hour

2. self employed

3. per trip

4. or another way

Great way to get paid that, an ex benefits cheat. Well done bet you feel really pleased with yourself now you’ve got it off your chest.

Jesus wept! It was a tongue in cheek remark as signified by the use of smileys. That stick up your bottom must really be chafing by now!

jonnytruckfest:
It depends on many things, personally I prefer to be paid by the hour as I can work out how much I will get in that week. Also the money only runs out a few days until the next payday unlike salary which runs out after the second week :smiling_imp:

But it all depends on preference and circumstances as to which suits you best :slight_smile:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Thanks Jonny, it seems an easier way to work out how much you’re earning. I m trying to work out what to do for the best , the more information I can gather will give me a better or wiser choice which path to take ,cheers :smiley:

einstein:
I like to try and go for an hourly rate, then you know where you stand.

Following redundancy earlier in the year, I am now working for a day rate which is fine if the day is short, but some days can be thirteen hours. Then it gets a little bit like you feel you are not getting your worth. Mind you though, did 1.75 hours work Saturday and got 8 hours pay for it :smiley:

Never liked being on Salary unless it is an agreed number of hours and you don’t exceed those hours or if you do, you get time paid the overtime or lieu time.

If you are working for a small operation, then weekly paid/invoicing with 7 days payment is a good option at the present time just in case the company goes under. I have heard lots of “they have gone bust owing me a month’s wages” stories recently.

I am sure people will tear me to pieces but just my own views. Hope it is of some help.

cheers :smiley:
Thanks einstein, I m glad you got sorted out with another job after being made redundant, I m not liking the thought of salery , & the set hours would have to be a must I’m thinking to gain overtime too, there are still a lot of places going under unfortunately, & I m waiting on my redundancy notice to start, luckily I have been told in advance, cheers, :smiley:

bonnie lass:

1. the hour

2. self employed

3. per trip

4. or another way

Number 1

It then puts the pressure onto the planners to ensure they do not route you onto routes which can cause long hold ups and send you to places where you could be waiting for hours to unload etc
If the planners do route you and you get hold ups then you are happier knowing that you are getting paid

Taking the pee by going the long way or deliberately going slower than needs be will usually get the driver their cards especially as many firms have trackers fitted

To me the driver and the company are now covered by paying an hourly rate

greggy:

bonnie lass:

1. the hour

2. self employed

3. per trip

4. or another way

I know a few still on this rate …deliver to them quite often

martinviking:
I’ve found that by the hour/weekly is my best option.
Monthly is ok, if you budget properly & the wage is high enough.

Self employed is a bit hit & miss.

Paid by theTrip or a percentage of what the vehicle makes usually ends up with the driver working for about ‘5 pence’ an hour, by the time the operator has taken his ‘Profit’, running costs, insurance, vehicle tax, mot, servicing,tyres,tolls,fuel,good in transit insurance,vat,corporation tax,death tax, ■■■■■■■ in the wind tax etc !!! (Then they will charge you for any damage to the vehicle or goods)
(Beats me how anyone makes a profit these days ■■? )
Oh ! & also you’ve got to provide your own work clothes/PPE & wash em at your expense. (They don’t even provide free tea & coffee, lol !)

Thanks martinviking, I have had trip payment before , & found by the time it has been’ broken down’ & split into some sort of a ratio per hour, it works out to be a low wage :frowning: for the hours put in. Yep I have to supply my own kit too , though at least I can get comfortable stuff even if I have to pay for it( I wish the boss would give us an allowance towards it all the same.
If I was paid by the hour would there be any problems with boss holding pay back or cutting your weekly pay if the trip was to take longer than boss expected , eg in the case of congested traffic , accident hold ups ect? Cheers, :smiley:

I thought everybody got paid by the mile the way you all drive!

bonnie lass:

1. the hour

2. self employed

3. per trip

4. or another way

I have always been paid on a percentage/ bonus basis and have found it always worked for me as I don’t have to unnecessarily stretch the day out to make a decent wage , there are ups and downs to any payment method the most important factor is a half decent firm/boss.

I’m paid on the last Friday of every month and paid by the hour.

Monthly pay is seriously crap but what can ya do, it’s the same for everyone where I am.

I wish I was on day rate and paid weekly tbh :wink: