Best way.. Help please!

Due to a50 being closed at the 518 what’s the best way to get to stockport from leicester, bear in mind I’m just past 24a on m1… I was thinking a623 maybe? Thanks in advance!

That’s in an artic, with a light load btw!

J29 a617 then a619. but i don’t know what the snow situation is.
otherwise it’s the long way round m62 to m60.

I often used to go via woodhead from J22 M1 to Stockport but that was in a flatbed rigid

Leicester - Derby - Ashbourne - Leek - Macclesfield - Stockport

Possibly a bit too late for today, but, its one for the future when it does happen again :open_mouth:

Stanley Mitchell:

Possibly a bit too late for today, but, its one for the future when it does happen again :open_mouth:

Hiya in my day that was the only route…i must say their wasn,t any speed camera,s then.
beleve it or not 11 cafe’s that have loooooonnng gone.
with today’s power i would think it was easier to go over the tops than go miles out of your way.it must only be 58 miles from jct25 to Stockport over the tops.
from derby to stoke must be 40+ from stoke to Knutsford 35ish and from Knutsford to Stockport another 20 odd. that must be twice as far by going the easy way.
i do know the weather is not good for going over the Ashbourne route at the moment as i beleve its snowing. mind you years ago snow or not their was only one way
good luck stanley
John

wheres the 518 found it… go north on A515

3300John:

Stanley Mitchell:

Hiya in my day that was the only route…i must say their wasn,t any speed camera,s then.
beleve it or not 11 cafe’s that have loooooonnng gone.
with today’s power i would think it was easier to go over the tops than go miles out of your way.it must only be 58 miles from jct25 to Stockport over the tops.
from derby to stoke must be 40+ from stoke to Knutsford 35ish and from Knutsford to Stockport another 20 odd. that must be twice as far by going the easy way.
i do know the weather is not good for going over the Ashbourne route at the moment as i beleve its snowing. mind you years ago snow or not their was only one way
good luck stanley
John

God help you if you got stuck behind the “Placketts” convoy in the early hours from Derby onwards, not much chance of passing them till they pulled in @ that cafe in Rushden Spencer for their brekkie :laughing:

Stanley Mitchell:

Would think the same, except once at Ashbourne carry on the A515 to Buxton the A6 through to Stockport

Cheers guys… Wish I’d of been on the ball now and gone that 515 way I dnt know why I carried on up the m1 like a pratt… But for future reference I went 2 chesterfield and out the side on the 617 then got on the 623, it was a nice drive 2 b fair quite bendy and tite in places but nice all the same!
Thanks fellas!

Henrys cat:

Stanley Mitchell:

Would think the same, except once at Ashbourne carry on the A515 to Buxton the A6 through to Stockport

Going via Buxton always seemed to drag for me, I do use it as a “plan B”, if needed though :wink:

I did get asked before christmas @ Tosco why I was off route coming back via Stockport - Macc - Leek - Ashbourne - A515 - Lichfield, having finished a 5 dropper in south east manchester, I was told that the M6 was their preferred route, less chance of high-jacking FFS…How much are their empty cages worth then ■■ :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

go to jct 35a M1 and pick up the a57 straight into stockport, its by far the easiest trust me

green456:
go to jct 35a M1 and pick up the a57 straight into stockport, its by far the easiest trust me[/qu

Each to their own, I was usually paying for my own derv in the old days, old habits die hard :wink:

Stanley Mitchell:

green456:
go to jct 35a M1 and pick up the a57 straight into stockport, its by far the easiest trust me[/qu

Each to their own, I was usually paying for my own derv in the old days, old habits die hard :wink:

Sounds about right for u Stanley Mitchell with old habits dieing hard :laughing: Macc to Leek could have been fun and
games today in the current weather conditions it usually gets shut when theres snow I would personally favour the
A515 / A6 option vier Buxton into stockport use to use it regular abit of a drag from New Mills into Stockport but once
u are out of there and headin for Buxton u can crack on with it :slight_smile: .

Greggo:

Stanley Mitchell:

green456:

Sounds about right for u Stanley Mitchell with old habits dieing hard :laughing: Macc to Leek could have been fun and
games today in the current weather conditions it usually gets shut when theres snow I would personally favour the
A515 / A6 option vier Buxton into stockport use to use it regular abit of a drag from New Mills into Stockport but once
u are out of there and headin for Buxton u can crack on with it :slight_smile: .

Oh yes, the weather, I`ve either been the last man out of Leek or, stuck there a few times in my younger days,a cracking place to be trapped, at one time it had the most pubs per head of population in the UK :laughing:

And yes, Greggo, at my age, old habits do die hard :laughing:

Stanley Mitchell:
I was told that the M6 was their preferred route, less chance of high-jacking

:laughing: :laughing: anymore?